Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
That's the callaway factory box lol..
You need to help the OP with his dremel/cut-off wheel skills.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post

LOL... it helps to have the TOOLZ

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
That's the callaway factory box lol..

Actually you can remove a ton more all of it.. And if you Angle it just right where the filter catches more of the air that comes through the slot (you will twist it at the MAF this will cause the MAF to have a slight angle the hose clamp will not be in the groove and the front tab will not be locked down it will sit on the edge of the box by the mount tab that locks it in fact none of the other 2 tabs will be locked as well, the hood clears) This will angle the entire filter at the opening of cool air.

This will produce as much if not more hp as the Roto Fab and CAI. If you recall I was the 1st to receive the carbon intake. I had been driving my car around with this mod waiting for the Intake to be delivered for a long time since I preordered just before BLK friday and they came out in March. Let me begin from the start, It just so happened that right when I got my Zl1, Patrick from Vararam Intakes post's he needed a test car.

Totally Stock we did a bunch of pulls the temps were low 80s. We data logged to get a lot data.. He took some measurements and compared my Zl1 to my SS setups to make sure GM didn't do something screwy and they would interchange.

He bought a intake from gm and made several changes cut and dice ect.. then we went out and did some more pulls and data logged. The results were crazy better with his changes especially off low take offs and full throttle most hesitations were gone. So we cut the bottom of my filter box an ran with it until my carbon elite showed.

Meanwhile I installed a lower ATI pulley, Headers, and TM TB.. I had it tuned at sorian's it made 651 rwhp I told Matt I was waiting for my CAI to arrive and asked if I need a retune he said probably not from what he's seen but, said let's check it for sure.. It comes in finally I'm all excited I head to the dyno with my CAI Carbon Elite installed it pops out 658 Needless to say the car was strapped down and cooled for a long time waiting on Matt at least 45 to 1 hour. I then swap my old intake back on and with a cool off time of about as long as it takes to unplug the MAF, loosen a hose clamp, and pop it out of the tabs basically 15 min the Stock box rifles of 559 1 hp more..

As for the rotofab I popped it off my SS with blower and it did 4 hp better with the hood up and 6 hp less with hood down vs my cut box.. against a factory box I'm sure the HP would be better on the aftermarkets but I tested with a cut box.

Whine increases with all boxes.. The cut up prototype box from Vararam wasn't dynoed only my cut box but the testing will begin shortly I do have some data to share.

The stock cut box does have higher IATs while sitting only but once moving its good..

Data log:

Prototype Vararam GM box with 3D printer parts added.. Different MAF diam, angle of maf and straighter shot..

Knock timing 0
Engine timing 19.7
MAF MV Low 800s
Boost up 1.2 psi

Competition Boxes

Knock timing 2.5 to 5
Engine timing 16.3
MAF MV High 900s
Boost down 1.2 psi

Apparently these are the important factors when designing a box if the results change you make power.. how ever they can't change a lot to require a tune otherwise they wouldn't sale or be legal so I'm sure there is a fine line to follow.
I log MAF frequency in HZ (not voltage), so I’m not familiar with that data. Is the cut stock box reporting more airflow or less airflow? Just curious, as these engines are finicky when it comes to this stuff.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I log MAF frequency in HZ (not voltage), so I’m not familiar with that data. Is the cut stock box reporting more airflow or less airflow? Just curious, as these engines are finicky when it comes to this stuff.

Quoting Pat GM did a good job on the box, how ever the box isn't the problem trying pull air from that small place its mounted is, the rotofab would win hand's down if you drive around with the hood off. Pat says you need a good 3 inches at the wide part or base of the air filter all the way around for that oval or circle cone filter to be really effective. . You loose that in all the areas.. pretty sure the competition knows that you need other areas to pull air from but that messes with styling. Pats stuff definitely isn't cosmetically pretty..

3 factors that really help..

Shortest direct path
No restrictions
Coldest air..

All those items increase flow increased flow lowers the iat coming into the motof if this happens you see more power.. timing.... knock retard ect..

I kinda thought it was bs until we went out and tested all the stuff same day same temps..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
No question my Dremel skills could use some improvement. It would have helped to have a larger diameter cutting disc. In some places I couldn't cut all the way through the plastic from outside the box. There wasn't always enough room to easily maneuver the Dremel inside the box.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Hmm.....will doing this still give me the "whine" if I dont have a blower?

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Muscle View Post
Hmm.....will doing this still give me the "whine" if I dont have a blower?
Just from taking the time to do it, then whining because it doesn't whine!
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #22
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Quoting Pat GM did a good job on the box, how ever the box isn't the problem trying pull air from that small place its mounted is, the rotofab would win hand's down if you drive around with the hood off. Pat says you need a good 3 inches at the wide part or base of the air filter all the way around for that oval or circle cone filter to be really effective. . You loose that in all the areas.. pretty sure the competition knows that you need other areas to pull air from but that messes with styling. Pats stuff definitely isn't cosmetically pretty..

3 factors that really help..

Shortest direct path
No restrictions
Coldest air..

All those items increase flow increased flow lowers the iat coming into the motof if this happens you see more power.. timing.... knock retard ect..

I kinda thought it was bs until we went out and tested all the stuff same day same temps..
Yeah, that makes sense. But my question is whether 800 MV or 900 MV was more reported airflow. The MAF table in the ECU uses HZ.

The reason I ask is that my Roto-Fab seemed to substantially over-report airflow. That equaled less boost and rich mixture. These engines can actually get KR from being too rich.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #23
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
No question my Dremel skills could use some improvement. It would have helped to have a larger diameter cutting disc. In some places I couldn't cut all the way through the plastic from outside the box. There wasn't always enough room to easily maneuver the Dremel inside the box.
I'm just busting your chops, I know how a dremel can get away from you from experience. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, go buy their $25 cut-off wheel/grinder. It's like a dremel on steroids and better for bigger cuts.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
I'm just busting your chops, I know how a dremel can get away from you from experience. If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, go buy their $25 cut-off wheel/grinder. It's like a dremel on steroids and better for bigger cuts.
Yep, using a cut-off wheel like the Harbor Frieght would have been a much better choice than my Dremel 3000.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #25
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. But my question is whether 800 MV or 900 MV was more reported airflow. The MAF table in the ECU uses HZ.

The reason I ask is that my Roto-Fab seemed to substantially over-report airflow. That equaled less boost and rich mixture. These engines can actually get KR from being too rich.
Remember I tested all after tuning do you have a tune on top of stock box or rotofab.. matt said that the afr never changed enough to justify changing the tune. While makin street passes with vararam the afr moved a little and the iats were cooler. The runs felt stronger with his prototyoe the next stage is dymo data to see of there is any power.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #26
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Remember I tested all after tuning do you have a tune on top of stock box or rotofab.. matt said that the afr never changed enough to justify changing the tune. While makin street passes with vararam the afr moved a little and the iats were cooler. The runs felt stronger with his prototyoe the next stage is dymo data to see of there is any power.
I was referring to what I saw bolting on the Roto-Fab with the stock tune. I didn’t have my wideband installed at the time, so I can’t say the exact changes in lambda from just the intake. But it definitely caused a loss of boost vs my stock airbox. This was caused by throttle closure. After doing some minor tuning, it picked up around a pound of boost vs stock. Probably +2 psi over what I was seeing with the Roto-Fab on the stock tune.

Anyway, I guess my point is that there is probably more going on here than just the intakes themselves. Simply looking at MAF data and boost can be misleading as I found out. My car trapped almost 133 mph in +1300 DA with basically just a set of headers and the Roto-Fab intake + minor tuning. So the power is definitely there.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #27
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Hi EDFHOBBIES

Do you know when that Vararam GM box will be available for purchase? I am just starting to mod my car and want to do a stealth look. Would be happy to test it as well.

Kind regards
cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #28
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

3 weeks or sooner. I think he will have me something this week for my 2650 103mm TB that needs a tune vs the standard non tune one.