Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #15
Goobaba

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
It does nothing in the V6. Nothing. Putting premium in the car is truly a waste of money.
Somewhere on here, someone did a V6 dyno run back to back with 87 v 93, and said that the engine does in fact pull less timing when running 93... but that the HP and TQ were virtually identical. I'll see if I can find it...

Call me cheap but if regular gas is recommended then that's what I'm going to use!
Goobaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #16
Goobaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
You need to back that up, b/c there is evidence (multiple sources) that show using premium in the 5th gen V6 LLT and LFX engines, that the knock sensors weren't nearly as active as using regular 87, which results in smoother, more consistent power. There was also a dyno run done to compare the two, and it showed the 93 making "slightly" more power and it appeared smoother, but it was a difference of power that likely wouldn't be noticed (just a few more HP across the entire curve), and also, dyno's are never perfect. Finally, it was said by tuner's that both the LLT and LFX had multiple octane tables.

So....that said. Nothing??? Not sure about that. Does using premium turn the car into a beast suddenly? No. But don't say it does "nothing".
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobaba View Post
Somewhere on here, someone did a V6 dyno run back to back with 87 v 93, and said that the engine does in fact pull less timing when running 93... but that the HP and TQ were virtually identical. I'll see if I can find it...

Call me cheap but if regular gas is recommended then that's what I'm going to use!
Exactly. There is no difference between using 87 and 93.

As far as multiple tables to be used....good. It still does absolutely nothing. You are wasting money and good 93 fuel.

87 recommended, 87 it is.

You will never, ever feel the effects of 93 in the LGX. It's just not worth the effort. Yea, put it in there if it makes your heart feel good but the effects amount to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdar66 View Post
so it doesn't help prevent detonation or pinging? why even produce 93?
Because some engines require for it to be used like the 2.0T and the LT1. The LGX does not.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Guess I'll be using the CRC brand GDI intake cleaner just as I did on the the 5th gen LFX I had.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #19
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Exactly. There is no difference between using 87 and 93.

As far as multiple tables to be used....good. It still does absolutely nothing. You are wasting money and good 93 fuel.

87 recommended, 87 it is.

You will never, ever feel the effects of 93 in the LGX. It's just not worth the effort. Yea, put it in there if it makes your heart feel good but the effects amount to nothing.

Because some engines require for it to be used like the 2.0T and the LT1. The LGX does not.
it is not needed because of the compression ratio. 93 burns slightly differently than 87. witch is why the table is set differently. fact of the matter is if you have the ability to run 87 sure go ahaead, but 93 is better for your motor. same case with my slead and my bike.93 is literly 20 cents more than 87 so what does it matter?
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #20
bballr4567

Quote:
it is not needed because of the compression ratio. 93 burns slightly differently than 87. witch is why the table is set differently. fact of the matter is if you have the ability to run 87 sure go ahaead, but 93 is better for your motor. same case with my slead and my bike.93 is literly 20 cents more than 87 so what does it matter?
Nope. Not here.

Fill up yesterday for 2.19 for 87 and 2.66 for 93. Just right now, its 2.11 for 87 and 2.53 for 93. You are right, its not much but it does nothing for the motor.

On the LGX there is just no need for it. It is not the LLX or the LFX. It's a completely brand new motor that was designed to run on 87. Until someone comes out with absolute concrete evidence that the LGX will run better on 93, my car will use 87.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
Goobaba

Quote:
I mean if someone offers you two of the same thing, but one costs more, you aren't just going to go with the cheaper option?

Edit: The only reason I can see to get premium is if the premium has specialty detergents in it and the regular does not, like what Shell offers. Then there is a minor case for it, but performance is still not affected.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #22
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I ran 92 octane (don't think we get 93 in Oregon) during break in and switched to regular unleaded after 1500 miles. Absolutely zero perceptible difference between the two.

My car has around 1500 miles with super unleaded (chevron and shell) and 2500 miles with regular 87 octane (chevron and shell). Still can't imagine any difference with the deposits on the intake valves.

Anyone who insists on the best fuel really needs to be buying "pure" super unleaded. None of this 10% ethanol crap.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #23
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Is your premium really still 20 cents more? If that were the case, i would agree with you, might as well. Out here, premium is 40-60 cents more depending on the station. 15 gal x .60 is 9 bucks. That's nothing for a weekend car, but that would be 40 dollars a month for me. Not the end of the world, but its not as negligible as .20 cents a gal.

2015 Camaro 2LT/RS
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #24
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Guess I'll be using the CRC brand GDI intake cleaner just as I did on the the 5th gen LFX I had.

How do you apply? Just remove the intake boot and spray into the throttle body?
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #25
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
I ran 92 octane (don't think we get 93 in Oregon) during break in and switched to regular unleaded after 1500 miles. Absolutely zero perceptible difference between the two.

My car has around 1500 miles with super unleaded (chevron and shell) and 2500 miles with regular 87 octane (chevron and shell). Still can't imagine any difference with the deposits on the intake valves.

Anyone who insists on the best fuel really needs to be buying "pure" super unleaded. None of this 10% ethanol crap.
Exactly!!! On the other side of town I used to live fairly close to a boat launch for the Ohio River. You know what they had? 100% gas 93. You know what I used in both our cars? (Had a GTO back then so it needed it but the Flex doesn't) That 93. You know why? The difference in the MPG in the Flex made up for the higher cost at the pump.

I miss living on that side of town.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #26
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
You mean like this:

Thats our 6th Gen with 90 miles on the clock. Catch cans are still VERY necessary.

All the best,

Jared Royce
Not what I saw on mine. Where would the catch can be installed? I've yet to see or hear of anyone installing one on the v6.

Bought one assuming I'd have to use it months ago but the complete lack of evidence up until now and the absence of anyone actually installing one has lead me to leave mine on the shelf.

Edit, and what is that a picture of? Doesn't look like the lgx from the pics jacfab took of the lgx intake manifold

Last edited by cellsafemode; 06-29-2016 at 03:08 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #27
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
93 burns more slowly than 87, so yes it does burn differently. DI tends to reduce the need for premium fuel because the gasoline doesn't enter the combustion chamber until much closer to the spark event. Compression/heat based pre-detonation is much less of a problem as a result. It certainly isn't fool-proof, of course, which is why some cars still need the higher octane.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
How do you apply? Just remove the intake boot and spray into the throttle body?
You can do it there but on the 2013, there was a pcv line on top of the manifold. I'd disconnect it and spray directly into the manifold hose as you have someone Rev and keep the rpms at 2000. Once done with the whole can, Rev it a few times and turn off for an hour to soak in.

Start up and go drive on the highway for a few minutes and your good

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote