Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Front license bracket, it's not that bad

Unfortunately, I live in a state where they love to give you tickets for no front plate, so I was mulling over: do i risk it or how bad is that OEM bracket to install on the car? Can I change my mind after?

Looking online, not surprisingly, everyone is trying everything but the stock bracket, and no info about the 2019s. The main objection I noted (with the 16-18s) was drilling holes in the front bumper.

No way I'm drilling, so what are the options?

That don't cost anything?

The answer, check the fit of the OEM, then decide on spending money. As a veteran of GM instructions sheets, the one in the bag with the bracket was this side of hieroglyphs, so it's: what's this part do? time.
Praise insightful engineers, no drilling. For the SS/1LE folks, no drilling. Everyone else, sorry.

Insert the nut clips into the anchors, match the RH & LH pieces on their respective sides, turn the "feet" sideways through the grill holes then vertical again on the backside and tighten the screws, and this thing mounts anchoring to the lower grill, nice and neat, and best of all, can be removed in one minute if needed. Hope this helps someone with the same problem of whether to use the stock bracket or not.

Tip of the hat Camaro Team, this is painless and still optional.
Attached Images

Ordered: 6/15/23 Accepted: 7/5/23
3000 - 7/5 ---> 3100 - 7/19
3300 - 7/20 --> 3400 - 7/20 -->TPW - 8/7
4300 - 8/14 --->4B00 - 9/5
DELIVERED 9/20!!
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Nice to see the 19 isn't pop riveted on there like the 18. I chose to just put it on, in my area they enforce that pretty hard and this time I just chose to not endure the hassle of being stopped and reprimanded for no front plate. Never got a ticket but I don't need the man in my life over a plate.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Nice to see the 19 isn't pop riveted on there like the 18. I chose to just put it on, in my area they enforce that pretty hard and this time I just chose to not endure the hassle of being stopped and reprimanded for no front plate. Never got a ticket but I don't need the man in my life over a plate.
Agreed. I ended up doing the Sto-n-sho plate bracket. No holes to drill and you can pop the plate off in 5 seconds when at the track or car show.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #4
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I wasn't going to put mine on either if I had to drill holes. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that it just clamps on. The law is due to change in Ohio on 7/1/2020 allowing no front plate but now there's legislation to try and keep the front plates on. Either way, I'm good with this set-up. Nice job, Chevy/GM!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol eww i used the zl1 addons tow hook one at least its removable and no holes or clips on car
Old 08-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Agreed. I ended up doing the Sto-n-sho plate bracket. No holes to drill and you can pop the plate off in 5 seconds when at the track or car show.
I did this too on my 2017. Very easy to remove and I think it looks far better mounted down low, instead of in the middle of the lower grill. In my head, the air flow is better, but I imagine GM might have mounted it down there to begin with, if that were the case, so who knows...

Best thing is...no drilling!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I did this too on my 2017. Very easy to remove and I think it looks far better mounted down low, instead of in the middle of the lower grill. In my head, the air flow is better, but I imagine GM might have mounted it down there to begin with, if that were the case, so who knows...

Best thing is...no drilling!

GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-ACE View Post
Unfortunately, I live in a state where they love to give you tickets for no front plate, so I was mulling over: do i risk it or how bad is that OEM bracket to install on the car? Can I change my mind after?

Looking online, not surprisingly, everyone is trying everything but the stock bracket, and no info about the 2019s. The main objection I noted (with the 16-18s) was drilling holes in the front bumper.

No way I'm drilling, so what are the options?

That don't cost anything?

The answer, check the fit of the OEM, then decide on spending money. As a veteran of GM instructions sheets, the one in the bag with the bracket was this side of hieroglyphs, so it's: what's this part do? time.
Praise insightful engineers, no drilling. For the SS/1LE folks, no drilling. Everyone else, sorry.

Insert the nut clips into the anchors, match the RH & LH pieces on their respective sides, turn the "feet" sideways through the grill holes then vertical again on the backside and tighten the screws, and this thing mounts anchoring to the lower grill, nice and neat, and best of all, can be removed in one minute if needed. Hope this helps someone with the same problem of whether to use the stock bracket or not.

Tip of the hat Camaro Team, this is painless and still optional.
What is this GM part number for the bracket and hardware? Or do you still have a link to get it? I looked up those numbers on that sheet you took a picture of but couldn't locate the bracket online. I guess I can call the parts house sometime.
D_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Called the dealer, the GM part number is 84618405. Kit comes with mounting brackets and hardware. GM 84618405 is the same part pictured in GM-ACEs pictured post. It costs about $42 from the dealer.
D_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I got the stock GM one for my 17 RS. I did not drill holes. There are 2 clips that snap on the grill, with the intention that the rivets will hold the top of the bracket to the painted surface of the bumper. By lowering the mounting position, (and trimming a bit of the clips to fit) I was able to get the clips to secure to a lower part of the grill, and I used wire ties to secure the top of the bracket to the grill. It's stayed in place for over 2 years no problem.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
DATSSDO

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
my dealership actually provided me for free the tow hook license brake bracket to mount my front plate. pretty cool they only offer it on the camaro or corvette
DATSSDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #12
johnnyride

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS Shock Vert
I just put my OEM one on my 21SS. No drilling and a 10 minute total install. Nice job GM. Reminded me of the old Fiero front plate bracket.
johnnyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:50 AM   #13
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Mine just arrived today. Will mount it this weekend.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #14
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Old thread but good info. Just got my plates today and installed this. Instructions are bad, but this thread made it a breeze. Thanks. Looks good too.

Tags
license plate bracket, oem