Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Now that I own one I have more ??

So first off...I love the car and that skip shift stuff does not bother me at all or apply to my driving style.
The Rev Match is ok, but I'm finding myself doing my old habits and heel and toe as I drive. Will probably leave it off, but it is a good option.
Love the HUD, and the Recaro seats grip nicely!

Next, that black vinyl wrap on the hood is not to my liking!
How do you guys clean that?
What happens if wax/polish gets on it?
Can it be removed...easily?

How many of you have a front license plate, and where do you mount it?
Looks like it has to go on the side of the front grill, since the center has such a sharp curve.

Can you run the PDR camera without the SD Card?
Would be nice to see the bump stop when parking the car to protect the front valance, which already has a crack from the previous owner.

Now I have so much more to read, and the worse part is trying to remember what does what...I need more RAM!!

Time to break out the highlighters and dog ear and highlight the owners manual.

It's going to be fun driving to work everyday now!
Old 03-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
You must have an sd card in for pdr.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Congrats. I use rev match all the time but I was never great at heal/toe.
The wrapped hood makes it look distinct but I probably like it because my car is grey. I just clean mine with the same soap when washing my car but I usually wash it last and dry it first.
I don't run plate up front. The PDR you have to get sd card to use and it would be nice but you can't use it from factory as live camera to see up front. Plus the camera is mounted at roofline so wouldn't really help with watching the chin spoiler but would still be nice.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
441bertre

Drives: 1998 SS, 2018 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
So first off...I love the car and that skip shift stuff does not bother me at all or apply to my driving style.
The Rev Match is ok, but I'm finding myself doing my old habits and heel and toe as I drive. Will probably leave it off, but it is a good option.

Looks like it has to go on the side of the front grill, since the center has such a sharp curve.

Would be nice to see the bump stop when parking the car to protect the front valance, which already has a crack from the previous owner.

Now I have so much more to read, and the worse part is trying to remember what does what...I need more RAM!!

Last weekend I did a full detail on my car to get it ready for spring. The black vinyl hood was the hardest part of the whole project. While I was applying sealant a little got onto the hood by accident, it smudged and snowballed from there. My friend and I ended up clay barring, applying Adam's Brilliant Glaze and then following up with Adam's VRT dressing and it turned out quite well. I'm not afraid to experiment with the hood since it is a wrap and it can always be removed and re-wrapped. I'm at work at the moment so I'm away from my pictures but I'll post some when I get a chance.

Check out ZL1Addons' from license plate holder, you just remove the removable section of the lower grille where the tow hook goes and screw in the holder and you have a front license plate! No rivets, no screws, nothing!
https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...e-plate-holder
Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:

Congrats on the car! You will indeed love it.

Front license plate is required in CT, so I asked the dealer to install it. Here's a picture of mine at the dealership just before delivery with the bracket installed. Installs with rivets and screws. The bracket is in the trunk on delivery, but if yours is gone, you can get the OEM bracket at GM Wholesale Direct.

I like that the black hood wrap gives the car that unique look, but I wish it was satin black rather than matte. You should avoid getting wax on it - it will smear and spot, and is hard to remove. Use a Matte Cleaner/Protectant like McKee's 37.
Attached Images

Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Congrats. I use rev match all the time but I was never great at heal/toe.
The wrapped hood makes it look distinct but I probably like it because my car is grey. I just clean mine with the same soap when washing my car but I usually wash it last and dry it first.
I don't run plate up front. The PDR you have to get sd card to use and it would be nice but you can't use it from factory as live camera to see up front. Plus the camera is mounted at roofline so wouldn't really help with watching the chin spoiler but would still be nice.
Thanks!
I didn't know where the camera was, but it would be nice to see the clearance in the front, I think the Z06 has that option
Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Congrats on the car! You will indeed love it.

Front license plate is required in CT, so I asked the dealer to install it. Here's a picture of mine at the dealership just before delivery with the bracket installed. Installs with rivets and screws. The bracket is in the trunk on delivery, but if yours is gone, you can get the OEM bracket at GM Wholesale Direct.

I like that the black hood wrap gives the car that unique look, but I wish it was satin black rather than matte. You should avoid getting wax on it - it will smear and spot, and is hard to remove. Use a Matte Cleaner/Protectant like McKee's 37.
Nice!
That's the color I would have got if I had a choice!
I'll check out Autogeek and see what they have, I know they carry McKee products.
I need to run a front plate as well, just didn't want to drill any holes, although it looks good!
Oh yeah...the love affair is going strong!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 441bertre View Post
Last weekend I did a full detail on my car to get it ready for spring. The black vinyl hood was the hardest part of the whole project. While I was applying sealant a little got onto the hood by accident, it smudged and snowballed from there. My friend and I ended up clay barring, applying Adam's Brilliant Glaze and then following up with Adam's VRT dressing and it turned out quite well. I'm not afraid to experiment with the hood since it is a wrap and it can always be removed and re-wrapped. I'm at work at the moment so I'm away from my pictures but I'll post some when I get a chance.

Check out ZL1Addons' from license plate holder, you just remove the removable section of the lower grille where the tow hook goes and screw in the holder and you have a front license plate! No rivets, no screws, nothing!
https://zl1addons.com/collections/ca...e-plate-holder
I did check out the lic holder, and jack pads...kind of pricey, so my wife got them from Amazon. It's the same pads, but cheaper and a 5% discount, the lic plate holder is different, but same mounting process and half the price.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have the sto'n'sho license plate bracket, not a fan of the tow hook mounted holder design as it breaks symmetry and, frankly, looks a bit nerf and tacked on. The sto'n'sho is also removable without any tools, just snaps on and off its (invisible) mount, so I can keep the plate in the trunk when it's not needed.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
Just wash the hood with soap and water. Adam's ceramic spray coating does work well. Used it on the entire car, hood, windows, trim, etc. Didn't change the shade or depth of the hood one way or the other but it sure is hydrophobic.
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #11
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
That hood wrap lasted until I got it home from the dealer, opened the hood to make sure it was actually painted underneath and peeled it off, the car looks much better IMHO. That said I have a black car and it doesn't bring much to the table if the car was white or red maybe. Read up on competitive mode and no lift shifting, if your a long time manual driver it's going to take some practice to not let up on the gas. I live in a front license plate state and have been driving it since last August with it in the trunk and no one has noticed or cared. I put it on for inspection with a couple of wire ties and have a practiced story about it rattling and being loose so I tossed into the trunk before it fell off and haven't had a chance to reinstall it, honest officer...
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
That hood wrap lasted until I got it home from the dealer, opened the hood to make sure it was actually painted underneath and peeled it off, the car looks much better IMHO. That said I have a black car and it doesn't bring much to the table if the car was white or red maybe. Read up on competitive mode and no lift shifting, if your a long time manual driver it's going to take some practice to not let up on the gas. I live in a front license plate state and have been driving it since last August with it in the trunk and no one has noticed or cared. I put it on for inspection with a couple of wire ties and have a practiced story about it rattling and being loose so I tossed into the trunk before it fell off and haven't had a chance to reinstall it, honest officer...

I have a black one too, so how did you remove it?
Did you use a heat gun/hair dryer to peel it off?
What is the paint condition under the vinyl, is it paint like the rest of the car?

The previous owner briefly mentioned something about the no lift shifting, which seemed like it's the computer version of a power shift?
Boy these manual cars have come a long way?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
The previous owner briefly mentioned something about the no lift shifting, which seemed like it's the computer version of a power shift?
Boy these manual cars have come a long way?
The no-lift shift official answer from Camaro lead engineer Al Oppenheiser. Note that it works on all Camaros, but is slightly different depending on which Camaro model you have.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513327
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
It was a hot sunny day in August and I removed the snorkels and liner, got an edge started and started peeling. The hood has some interesting lines to it and it looks amazing waxed up. Readers digest version of fun in this M6 car, single press the traction control button and fishtail away, put it in sport or track and double press the traction control button to enter the competitive mode, your in control. Launch control is entertaining as well, combine that with the NLS and entertain the significant other at stop lights.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote