Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 03-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
Go with the Garnet Red

Visibilty is fine with the Camaro, just adjust and you will be fine...The Challenger has great retro looks, but it is big and bulky, 3 months down the line you may want to reconsider it...The Camaro chassis and power is fantastic...But, it's up to you...Enjoy whatever decision you make!
Attached Images

rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #16
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Honestly, the best advice (as a few others have mentioned) is to drive both and see which one you like most.

1.) As others have mentioned, will this be a car you plan to use to transport multiple people routinely in? The Challenger is much bigger inside but it is also heavier.

2.) Are you wanting an auto or a manual? This could easily be a bigger deciding factor.

3.) If you are actually looking at anything less than a Hellcat or a ZL1, you are probably looking at either a 485HP Scat Pack or a 455HP Camaro SS. The Camaro will feel faster, and corner faster, but the Challenger will probably feel the same in terms of butt power.

Last but not least, you can always negotiate with the dealership to include all-season tires as part of your purchase. I negotiated new tires on my winter SUV and it was a used car at that. Honestly, plenty of people have driven the Camaro in the winter without issue. I did it all the time in my 5th gen on summer tires..
Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #17
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I had a Challenger + supercharger from 2009 to 2016, and then a SS from 2016 + supercharger.
Challenger loved the look, the ride was nice, fit real size people, but let's be honest even the Challenger ain't that big in the back. Even with suspension and rims and real tires, the handling sucks, sucks big, the car is a BOAT, it is NOT tossable to the point it is NO fun to even think about using any combination of power and handling..

Camaro, very tossable and controlled. I'm sure the 1LE is even better. We are talking stock or stock with PS4 tires. I can only imagine what a DSSV + rims and tires will be (my dream for sure). Oh My god that would be something "fun" every day. Also lets talk about real street traction, not some DR and race track. The Camaro is way lighter and any street fight... lets be serious, the Camaro will kick the Challenger in the teeth. 600 lbs and same size tire... nuff said, forget any 1/4 prep track with ringer driver..... Joe average street fight it is a 90 to 10 win IMO of course (own both cars...)

My other car is a full built full suspension Integra Type R... so I kind of know what handling should be...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #18
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I'm currently single and most likely won't be having many riders. If I were to go with the Camaro, I think I would want an auto, 2SS trim and like some color in the interior (white or tan). I found several in the high 30's range on a national search, but none of the cheaper ones are very close and not exactly the color or options I want. I noticed some of the options I want are add-ons and a bit pricey, like the color and exhaust, ect. This is all assuming I really like it when I drive one of course. I should go down the street and test drive one as they are offering a $50 card to come in, but I would rather go when its a bit warmer out. btw, how much quicker are the 19's compared to the 18's? I couldn't seem to find any real info on a search. They must be too new yet.

I see what your saying oldman. The 1LE package looks interesting too, but looks like you can't get it in auto and you have to get the flat black hood. Similar to the T/A package with Dodge. I like some of its options, but you have to have the blacked out hood and trunk, ect. Now the 1320 is supposed to be the quickest N/A car at the moment, but I'm thinking thats if you leave the seats out and don't go with extra options that would weigh it down more. But like I said, I most likely won't be going on any road courses and there aren't many twisty roads around here, so I would mostly be using it for a dd and some trips once in awhile.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
had the S550 Mustang and now the Camaro SS , Next is a 1320 ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
oldman

The SS package alone is so so so much better than a full suspension mod Challenger. Night and day difference SS = fun, Challenger = in fear of losing it into a ditch... it is NOT tossable period. Plus the look is dated... It was cool in 2009, but now it is just old.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #21
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
I'm currently single and most likely won't be having many riders. If I were to go with the Camaro, I think I would want an auto, 2SS trim and like some color in the interior (white or tan). I found several in the high 30's range on a national search, but none of the cheaper ones are very close and not exactly the color or options I want. I noticed some of the options I want are add-ons and a bit pricey, like the color and exhaust, ect. This is all assuming I really like it when I drive one of course. I should go down the street and test drive one as they are offering a $50 card to come in, but I would rather go when its a bit warmer out. btw, how much quicker are the 19's compared to the 18's? I couldn't seem to find any real info on a search. They must be too new yet.

I see what your saying oldman. The 1LE package looks interesting too, but looks like you can't get it in auto and you have to get the flat black hood. Similar to the T/A package with Dodge. I like some of its options, but you have to have the blacked out hood and trunk, ect. Now the 1320 is supposed to be the quickest N/A car at the moment, but I'm thinking thats if you leave the seats out and don't go with extra options that would weigh it down more. But like I said, I most likely won't be going on any road courses and there aren't many twisty roads around here, so I would mostly be using it for a dd and some trips once in awhile.
The 10 spd auto would really be the only reason to buy a 2019 SS...unless you can get a great deal on it. The 2018 would be a very good buy.

I'm in Indianapolis, which is probably about a 3 hr drive from you... this is just south of Indy..

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=221580902

Brand new 2018 2SS... 24 miles.. 33k
Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #22
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
I think it depends if u want to turn or not, the ss can hang with a scat pack on the straight so your not trading off anything. As for visibility you have to drive it to really know. Any large nose car is a guessing game so get some spot mirrors and call it a day.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
I think it depends if u want to turn or not, the ss can hang with a scat pack on the straight so your not trading off anything. As for visibility you have to drive it to really know. Any large nose car is a guessing game so get some spot mirrors and call it a day.
Unless you are getting a 1320 unlikely under your 40k budget the A10 SS will be faster than the A8 Scatpack.

I know that you weren't looking at the Mustang but you can probably also land an A10 GT for 40k and it will be faster than both the Challenger and SS in a straight line.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #24
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Soul View Post
Hey now, I saw a Hemi-powered Challenger turning last night onto the highway entrance ramp at a fairly quick pace!

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #25
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Hey now, I saw a Hemi-powered Challenger turning last night onto the highway entrance ramp at a fairly quick pace!
Yep until you lose it and then you are 4400+ lbs in the ditch.

Last edited by oldman; 03-05-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #26
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I've had both and I'm currently back in a Camaro.

I wanted to try a Challenger just because I really like the size and looks of the car. My car was a 5.7 R/T Classic 8 speed automatic that was hard loaded. I liked the roominess, transmission and the interior styling/comfort but after that, the car fell short of the Camaro in every way possible.

It's huge and it felt huge. Great for long trips, terrible for throwing it around the curves. It just didn't handle well. It was under-tired, even after I put Hellcat wheels on it. It was great at doing burnouts though!

I have no complaints on comfort. The seats were great and the amount of room inside for the front passengers was great(back seat, not so much). It had more rattles and squeeks than I can remember hearing from another modern car though. That was probably the biggest annoyance for me personally. That and the random, intermittent electrical issues that my car had. Visibility sucks in a Challenger too.

I know they've updated the car but imo, when you drive a Challenger(non Hellcat) it's like you're driving a car that was designed 20+ years ago(because you kind of are). It just doesn't have the level of refinement and precision that the Camaro does. The Camaro is like a samurai sword and the Challenger is like a giant broadsword.

The only Challenger I would even consider now is a Hellcat. Handling and outdated chassis be damned. The Hellcat is a lot of fun.

The best thing I can tell you to do is to go drive them and then choose the one that you like best.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #27
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
Not sure exactly how helpful this is but I was in the market for a Challenger or Camaro, ending up going with Camaro (putting in the custom order tomorrow for a 3lt) but I was comparing the 6cyl models.

The challenger is an easier to live with car, but even that for me is debatable. IT has more room but I am coming from a 00' mustang with no back seat so both options are an upgrade. The challenger is a bit more smooth on the highway but not by a huge amount. The visibility was "better" but not at all noteworthy. I was perfectly fine in the Camaro.

Jumping into a challenger right after a Camaro I was underwhelmed. It didnt feel nearly as spacious as I was expecting, didnt seem much bigger than the Camaro until I started driving. Camaro was more fun. Challenger had very touchy gas and brakes and not in a good way. Also found the creature comforts of the Camaro to be a step above the Challenger.
RideWithDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #28
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Yep until you lose it and then you are 4400+ lbs in the ditch.
Funny thing is that you never see Challengers spinning out and crashing into crowds. They know what their car is (isn’t). It’s the Mustang guys...

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote