Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-31-2019, 04:56 AM   #15
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
You never had this problem because you keep the key in your pocket. And you will never have a problem

Exactly! I also keep my key fob separate from my house keys. So from the time I leave home in the morning till the time I return in the evening there's no reason for the fob to leave my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:58 AM   #16
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I hate to jinx myself, but the simple solution is to keep the key in your pocket. A lot of motorcycle guys fret about losing their fob or the battery dying. They insist on getting a backup fob. If I misplace my fob I have even bigger issues since my house keys are attached to it.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #17
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I've had a car with keyless entry for the last decade and never had this problem because I keep the key in my pocket. Just get into the habit of leaving the key in your pocket till you get home at the end of the day.

Quote:
Exactly! I also keep my key fob separate from my house keys. So from the time I leave home in the morning till the time I return in the evening there's no reason for the fob to leave my pocket.

That's how I roll, but...….

There was that time my wife locked her keys in her car at Costco and I could not find her spare set at home. So I had her call Roadside Assist and I drove to Costco, loaded the groceries into my car and had her take my car home while I waited for Roadside Assist. After she left, I realized I still had my key fob in my pocket. I called her and told her to go straight home since she would not be able to start the car if she turned it off. She said she had just parked at a strip mall on her way home and was just about to turn the car off when I called. Bullet dodged.

Side note....this was also the last time we went without OnStar on a car. If she had kept her OnStar subscription getting into the car would not have required Roadside Assist.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:30 AM   #18
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
That's how I roll, but...….

Side note....this was also the last time we went without OnStar on a car. If she had kept her OnStar subscription getting into the car would not have required Roadside Assist.
I just cancelled the trial OnStar. I couldn't justify the expense. If they made it a little more reasonable I would have kept it.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #19
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
That's like saying "I'm a careful driver and my intention when I drive is to never get in a car accident, so there's no reason I would ever have one. I don't need car insurance."

I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but I've been stranded without keys twice over the past 30 plus years and it sucks. No one INTENDS to get stuck without the fob, so how does it ever happen?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:12 AM   #20
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
That's like saying "I'm a careful driver and my intention when I drive is to never get in a car accident, so there's no reason I would ever have one. I don't need car insurance."

I'm not saying it will happen to everyone, but I've been stranded without keys twice over the past 30 plus years and it sucks. No one INTENDS to get stuck without the fob, so how does it ever happen?
that's a loaded question. you can't possibly plan for every contingency you could come across on the daily. some people are dead set worried they will lose their key, so they carry an extra fob. I'm not worried, so I don't. My keyfob isn't an afterthought with my wardrobe. It has it's spot on my person and I'm always acutely aware where it's at. If I do lose it, for the first time ever, my wife is 30 minutes away. It would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

downing someone for not wanting to plan with a spare key, is the same as insulting someone for doing it. comparing a $65 key fob, which most have atleast 1 other of, is not the same as insurance on a multi thousand dollar vehicle, not even almost.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:16 AM   #21
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Speaking of crap happens - a few weeks ago I was working on putting a Alky meth kit on my car. I was advised that under the center console was a good place to mount the unit, so I managed to get work on running the wires, mounting everything, and removed the console.

A few days go by from when I start and finish, and when I go to do the final check on the function of the Alky kit, I fire up the car and it all goes off without a hitch. A few minutes go by, and thought the car is running, I get a message that says "NO FOB DETECTED - SECURITY SYSTEM ACTIVATED"

I think for a second "what the hell does that mean?", and then the alarm goes off. I dig for the fob, try and cancel the alarm, and finally put two plus two together that the sensor for the key fobs is in the center console, which is now removed from the car and not plugged in. So the fob does nothing.

SO there is no way to shut the alarm off. Pushing the start button won't even shut the car off as it sits there's and idles. So my next thought - disconnect the battery. Well the trunk is shut, and can only be opened with the fob. So, car idling, alarm blaring, I throw the console back in the car, plug it in, throw the fob in the cupholder and press the alarm button and nothing happens.

At that point the start button would shut the car off, and THEN it would shut the alarm off.

It was 12:30 at night - the wife was quite pleased with me.
That is some funny 💩
Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #22
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
that's a loaded question. you can't possibly plan for every contingency you could come across on the daily. some people are dead set worried they will lose their key, so they carry an extra fob. I'm not worried, so I don't. My keyfob isn't an afterthought with my wardrobe. It has it's spot on my person and I'm always acutely aware where it's at. If I do lose it, for the first time ever, my wife is 30 minutes away. It would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

downing someone for not wanting to plan with a spare key, is the same as insulting someone for doing it. comparing a $65 key fob, which most have atleast 1 other of, is not the same as insurance on a multi thousand dollar vehicle, not even almost.
I apologize if my response came across as a put down, that was not my intention. My point is that regardless of best intentions, unexpected shit happens. That's why I'd rather have $45 worth of key fob insurance. If either one of us never has a problem, great! If one of us does, I won't be the one who's stuck waiting while I inconvenience someone else. Like you, just presenting an alternate point of view.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM   #23
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
I hate to jinx myself, but the simple solution is to keep the key in your pocket. A lot of motorcycle guys fret about losing their fob or the battery dying. They insist on getting a backup fob. If I misplace my fob I have even bigger issues since my house keys are attached to it.

Yeah, same with my house keys.

At least on my Harley, if I forget the FOB (or it doesn't work for whatever reason), there is a 5 digit PIN code I can enter to start the bike.
No FOB required for that operation.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #24
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
I apologize if my response came across as a put down, that was not my intention. My point is that regardless of best intentions, unexpected shit happens. That's why I'd rather have $45 worth of key fob insurance. If either one of us never has a problem, great! If one of us does, I won't be the one who's stuck waiting while I inconvenience someone else. Like you, just presenting an alternate point of view.
understandable. I try my best to prepare for the defecation-hits-the-oscillation situations.

honestly, if I had the option to simply hide a keyfob in my car and unlock it with my phone, 15 years ago, I wouldn't have had to break into my vr-4's moonroof to cut my car off because my turbo timer scrambled and set the idle to 8 hours instead of 30 seconds, whilst my keys sat in my driver seat, locked.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #25
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yeah, same with my house keys.

At least on my Harley, if I forget the FOB (or it doesn't work for whatever reason), there is a 5 digit PIN code I can enter to start the bike.
No FOB required for that operation.
Yep, the Indian also has a 4-digit PIN. I never worry about the fob. Some guys needlessly lose a lot of sleep over the battery dying and fob disappearing.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
When you shut the car down and the vehicle detects the FOB is not inside the vehicle, the vehicle delays the shutdown and then says "Warning, Remote not detected, Hold Brake and Press Start to restart vehicle" You get a second chance to restart the vehicle WITHOUT a fob as long as you don't open the door.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Speaking of crap happens - a few weeks ago I was working on putting a Alky meth kit on my car. I was advised that under the center console was a good place to mount the unit, so I managed to get work on running the wires, mounting everything, and removed the console.

A few days go by from when I start and finish, and when I go to do the final check on the function of the Alky kit, I fire up the car and it all goes off without a hitch. A few minutes go by, and thought the car is running, I get a message that says "NO FOB DETECTED - SECURITY SYSTEM ACTIVATED"

I think for a second "what the hell does that mean?", and then the alarm goes off. I dig for the fob, try and cancel the alarm, and finally put two plus two together that the sensor for the key fobs is in the center console, which is now removed from the car and not plugged in. So the fob does nothing.

SO there is no way to shut the alarm off. Pushing the start button won't even shut the car off as it sits there's and idles. So my next thought - disconnect the battery. Well the trunk is shut, and can only be opened with the fob. So, car idling, alarm blaring, I throw the console back in the car, plug it in, throw the fob in the cupholder and press the alarm button and nothing happens.

At that point the start button would shut the car off, and THEN it would shut the alarm off.

It was 12:30 at night - the wife was quite pleased with me.
Did you try the button on the door, and the bumper? Or was it not a 6th gen?

How comfortable is your couch? Lol

I'd have tried disconnecting the connection under the hood, lol, or at least pulling the horn fuse/relay...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #28
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
A lot of owners don't know this, but your Key fob does have a real key hidden inside. Just pull the chrome end part and it will pop off. Just get a clone of this key made if you are worried about getting locked out and keep it hidden somewhere. There is no need to buy an extra fob for emergencies. The hole insert is under the driver door handle, behind a pop-out panel.

For example: