Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
May have actually answered my own question, but this could still be an interesting point.

The stock SS shields look like the 1st picture (actually off an LT, but they are very similar). The SS "track" shields are the second picture, the GMPP 6-Piston Shields (same as SS 1LE) can be seen in the 3rd picture. The 4th, bottom picture is of RXtacy's SS1LE.

Point is, the SS "track" deflectors offer an even closer setup to no rotor shield at all.
Just as another data point. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE come with the shields in the 2nd picture, aka the "SS track shields". Having recently completed a full ZL1 brake swap on my SS 1LE, I can now verify that.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
84145204 includes both left and right

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/auto-...cat/ducts-scat
Thanks!
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Just as another data point. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE come with the shields in the 2nd picture, aka the "SS track shields". Having recently completed a full ZL1 brake swap on my SS 1LE, I can now verify that.

I take it that the "SS track shields" are in fact smaller than the stock 1LE SS shields?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
I take it that the "SS track shields" are in fact smaller than the stock 1LE SS shields?
That's correct.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #19
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
That's correct.
Thanks
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I’m not sure if this is from street or track driving, but this looks to be the only damage the SS track deflectors get from running them on a car as low as the 1LE:

Pictured is the front, driver side.

Note the lower, bottom left corner is slightly chaffed.
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
sir574

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So after reading through all these posts, can we get a recap? lol

I have a SS1LE, do I need to do anything to it prior to a track day with the brake ducts or dust shields, or can it be left as is for the track for those?

Thanks!
sir574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #22
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir574 View Post

I have a SS1LE, do I need to do anything to it prior to a track day with the brake ducts or dust shields, or can it be left as is for the track for those?

Thanks!
The recap is: Run the stock pads, flush your brake fluid with Castrol SRF, make sure your bleeders are snugged up good, and don't touch anything else.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Mountain

Quote:
The recap is: Run the stock pads, flush your brake fluid with Castrol SRF, make sure your bleeders are snugged up good, and don't touch anything else.
What he said.

You can run the SS track stuff (deflectors and rotor shield) for a little more cooling, but the stock stuff on the 1LE will do fine. I ran the SS track deflectors because I had them. I would like to believe that they helped out on this past 90F+ track day, but I have no reference point. All I can say is that I didn't notice any brake fad - pedal stayed firm and the brakes clamped down lap after lap on the stock pads and SRF.

You can get a general idea of what temps are like in stock configuration from other's posts, like Ryephile's, though. Knowing what impact good brake fluid and brake ducting can do for a brake setup on track, I have to think there is an improvement there, for sure, but I'm not sure how much. If my car can run stock brakes with the SS deflectors on a 90F+ day, there shouldn't be an issue on a "normal" day on the SS 1LE stock stuff.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #24
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Does anyone know if you can run the "normal" SS Backing Plate or the "track" backing plate with the SS 1LE front brake setup? Does it matter?

I was going to have my used 1LE front brake setup installed on my SS but the backing plates won't be here until next week.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
IMO, the track shields look more like ball joint protectors .. designed as heat shields, not rotor shields.

On the C6 vette we found that heat from the rotors were melting the grease boots which eventually would lead to ball joint failure from heat more than dirt.

Here is an aftermarket kit designed to protect the ball joints http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...27mpdoqkevijg5

But again, just my opinion.
Quote:
You are 100%, exactly right.

The point is to remove as much coverage as possible, for optimum brake cooling, yet still utilize the radiant heat protection.
They clearly direct air at the rotor, might help protect stuff behind it from heat as well

Quote:
Why are people worried about the SS 1LE being to low for the "SS" deflectors then, when the ZL1 1LE comes with them? Or are you talking about the metal part?

How do you like them? I'm kinda pissed they didn't just use ZL1 brakes on the SS !LE, surely the cost wouldn't be that much different, did they do it so you could still fit 18's? Sure the SS is lighter but I have seen plenty of people overheating their stock SS 1LE set up.

Quote:
Quote:
That's correct.
Quote:
Thanks
The metal rotor shield is smaller, the plastic air deflector is larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir574 View Post

Thanks!
I need one too.... they started talking about the metal rotor shield then threw in the air ducts and I'm lost now

Quote:
What he said.

You can run the SS track stuff (deflectors and rotor shield) for a little more cooling, but the stock stuff on the 1LE will do fine. I ran the SS track deflectors because I had them. I would like to believe that they helped out on this past 90F+ track day, but I have no reference point. All I can say is that I didn't notice any brake fad - pedal stayed firm and the brakes clamped down lap after lap on the stock pads and SRF.

You can get a general idea of what temps are like in stock configuration from other's posts, like Ryephile's, though. Knowing what impact good brake fluid and brake ducting can do for a brake setup on track, I have to think there is an improvement there, for sure, but I'm not sure how much. If my car can run stock brakes with the SS deflectors on a 90F+ day, there shouldn't be an issue on a "normal" day on the SS 1LE stock stuff.
People are overheating their stock SS 1LE setup and glowing rotors are quite common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Does anyone know if you can run the "normal" SS Backing Plate or the "track" backing plate with the SS 1LE front brake setup? Does it matter?

I was going to have my used 1LE front brake setup installed on my SS but the backing plates won't be here until next week.
I would use the smaller "backing plate", as for the air duct either the small 1LE scoop or the large SS flat panel will work.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #26
Mountain

Deflector = plastic part attached to the control arm.
Rotor Shield = metal part attached to the hub.

SS, SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE have the same deflector stock.

SS comes with optional track deflectors.

SS and LS/LT come with a full rotor shield stock.

SS comes with optional track shields. These same shields are on the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE.

SS 1LE has special rotor shields, and the same as the GMPP 6-piston kit.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #27
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Deflector = plastic part attached to the control arm.
Rotor Shield = metal part attached to the hub.

SS, SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE have the same deflector stock.

SS comes with optional track deflectors.

SS and LS/LT come with a full rotor shield stock.

SS comes with optional track shields. These same shields are on the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE.

SS 1LE has special rotor shields, and the same as the GMPP 6-piston kit.
Huh ok, I thought the SS 1LE had the special smaller scoopy deflector... but you are saying the base SS and up all have that but the SS comes with the big piece that goes infront of it?

So the SS comes with different deflectors AND shields?

I thought the SS had no deflector stock but came with track deflectors not recommended on the street and the 1LE came with the permanently installed mini scoop deflector? But you are saying all cars have that mini scoopy deflector that would need to be removed to install the "track deflector"? So in post #10 of this thread, all cars have the part in the top image but only the base SS comes with the part in the middle to images? Did they think the larger brakes of the 1LE's and ZL1 didn't need this?

What do the metal shields even do?

Last can it be confirmed that the brake duct, (not the radiator pass though but brake duct further inboard) is only meant to shoot air at the small scoop deflector or larger SS option deflector, thus turning it into a duct would only improve brake cooling and not adversely effect anything else? Like cooling of the hub/caliber or inside fender air pressure/aerodynamics?
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Huh ok, I thought the SS 1LE had the special smaller scoopy deflector... but you are saying the base SS and up all have that but the SS comes with the big piece that goes infront of it?

So the SS comes with different deflectors AND shields?
You're trying too hard. Read his post, it's easy to read and technically correct. Don't want to believe us? Look up the part numbers yourself.

Quote:
What do the metal shields even do?
They are heat shields for the ball joint boots. That's it.

Quote:
Last can it be confirmed that the brake duct, (not the radiator pass though but brake duct further inboard) is only meant to shoot air at the small scoop deflector or larger SS option deflector, thus turning it into a duct would only improve brake cooling and not adversely effect anything else? Like cooling of the hub/caliber or inside fender air pressure/aerodynamics?
KNS makes one, but it's unnecessary if you run thermal pad shims [like stock pads].