Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 AM   #617
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Fraxum.
Sounds like another great day at the track. Thank you for always posting your results. Makes we want to go out and purchase a set of wheels and tires for my car to play around with as I sure miss running at the strip.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #618
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Fraxum.
Sounds like another great day at the track. Thank you for always posting your results. Makes we want to go out and purchase a set of wheels and tires for my car to play around with as I sure miss running at the strip.
Thanks. Those Drag Stars are such a PIA to put on and take off. I will keep them on another month or so as the weather gets nicer and then put the stockers on. Once I wear out the Goodyears I will will replace the stock tires with Toyos. R888Rs I hear hook almost like DRs with no big burn. If they hold up at the track I will retire the DR setup for a while. But for now they make 1.6es more possible with some track prep.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #619
Fraxum

Okay I just went all in on this racing season. I just ordered a Tony Mamo ported TB! Actually I do not think there is really any additional power there, but it is the last thing I can do with a stock tune except a ported SC. But If I do that I am going with a tune and a bigger TB. So for now it will be fun testing this part. If it really does give 10 HP I should be able to pick up a tenth, maybe.

Plus should I want to get rid of it, with such a good rep it will be easy to sell. So that and the LT4 Rotofab I am just renting for now.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #620
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

And I will continue my quest to beat a Hellcat auto.
Me and a bunch of guys I work with. Are heading down to Cecil this Friday. One of them has an auto hellcat on drag radials. Another has a stock M5. Those would be good races for you. Come on down.

Quote:
Okay I just went all in on this racing season. I just ordered a Tony Mamo ported TB! Actually I do not think there is really any additional power there, but it is the last thing I can do with a stock tune except a ported SC. But If I do that I am going with a tune and a bigger TB. So for now it will be fun testing this part. If it really does give 10 HP I should be able to pick up a tenth, maybe.

Plus should I want to get rid of it, with such a good rep it will be easy to sell. So that and the LT4 Rotofab I am just renting for now.
Woohoo big mods there Mark. I think Im doing fuel and an E85 tune this year. That should be another 50-75 to the wheels. Hard to turn that down. For a grand. And two hours of my time to install it.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #621
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night...

It looked like a really good air day in the 40s with no clouds in the sky just like Denver. But with that almost sea level elevation.

But when I got there everyone was complaining about track prep. And maybe 40 cars total were there. So yet another get as many runs as you want T&T. It's like a track rental without the good prep.

So I started out with a very light load on the line and hooked with 32 pounds of air still in the DRs. With the sketchy prep I didn't think it was worth messing with the TP. All of my runs were 11.3-4 excpt on the last run I loaded up at the line as much as the front brakes will hold and spun an 11.6. And my MPH as usual was all over the place 122-125. It is my understanding that the wierd LT4 throttle closing thing is exacerbated by the Rotofab. But since I have run my fastest time with the RF, it stys on. It is also possible I was letting off early causing the disparity. And you may laugh at this, but even after all this time it was not clear to me exactly where the traps are, I always just looked for the win light. But that is a bit tricky when your car wants to waggle @ 120+ mph. So last Saturday in the day time I scoped out where it is. I am pretty sure I ran through it every time. And I have run 128 in worse DA. The mystery remains.

There was no close racing but I posted the 2 most interesting runs below. One was agsinst a Challenger HC with DRs, auto I assume. He had some work done. He too was complaining about the prep and so I figured I had a chance. But even though I treed him a little he smoked me. The other run was with Pat. I REALLY treed him (LOL) and he spun a bit. So the run was fun, but in the end he ran me down. This was the closest race we had in a long time. Earlier he ran a 10.2 beating this rreall fast 427 Z06. So much for bad prep on that run.

Also Pat had a mishap I did not know about. Pat had some stronger axles installed from his guy that used to run a shop but now it more like an on the side gig. And these guys either bought the wrong axles (I suspect) or as pat said they weren't pushed in all the way. (??) But the end result was the seals were chewed up and eventually the diff gave up the ghost. One of the axles is still stuck in that diff. So Pat went out and bought an I4 Turbo diff from a yard and stuck his stock axles in it. So the I4 diff and the axles are fine in a 10.2 car. (??)

I think Pat bought the axles as he is getting bored with low 10 second mildly modded Rustang. And I noticed he was pushing to sell his car in the lanes again. He wants a 10 speed GT and to start over. If this happens it will be interesting what Pat can run with one of those. Will he get to 11 seconds stock with it? And Pat is moving on from his third 10 second GT in a row. I still have not gotten to a 10 yet! Bassturd!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #622
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Me and a bunch of guys I work with. Are heading down to Cecil this Friday. One of them has an auto hellcat on drag radials. Another has a stock M5. Those would be good races for you. Come on down.

Woohoo big mods there Mark. I think Im doing fuel and an E85 tune this year. That should be another 50-75 to the wheels. Hard to turn that down. For a grand. And two hours of my time to install it.
Thanks for the invite. I would like to go but on a Friday night that's a bit far for me. The last time I went to Cecil they closed the Delaware bridge on me. Just my luck!

Are you trying for the 9s in that car? With that hood it looks serious!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #623
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Im just trying to go fast. It should do 9s with more fuel. No problem. It would be nice to figure out why it spins the 1-2 shift. Going to cecil to see if its just atco's prep? Ill catch ya at the strip some other time.

Last edited by GossipSquirrelJelena; 03-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #624
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
-1,000’ da and you have a modified zl1 trapping 122? something is amiss.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #625
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
-1,000’ da and you have a modified zl1 trapping 122? something is amiss.
Just a ported TB, and a Rotofab. Not much power there without a tune.

And yup up it traps between 122 and 129. I sold my HP tuner with my last Camaro but I bought another. But no licenses yet. I should log my runs. But even if I did what could I do about it without a tune?

Another anomaly, The ZL1 trapped 128-129 mph a couple of times on my only time there with the ZL1. I have never run much over 126 at Atco. Is that track downhill?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #626
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Man, that is a great time. On another note, its cars like the ZL1 and others in its class that have convinced me to never modify another car again. My GT only got an x pipe and that's it. No matter now much money I throw at it, it will not have the drivability or the reliability of factory cars, such as the ZL1 and the up coming GT 500. So, I should have stayed in school and worked harder. Great car and nice times!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #627
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Man, that is a great time. On another note, its cars like the ZL1 and others in its class that have convinced me to never modify another car again. My GT only got an x pipe and that's it. No matter now much money I throw at it, it will not have the drivability or the reliability of factory cars, such as the ZL1 and the up coming GT 500. So, I should have stayed in school and worked harder. Great car and nice times!
Thanks! Yet your GT is really fast stock and a fun car. 10 AUTO or M6?

Nowadays we scoff at 12 second cars. Yet 12 seconds is a fast car. But I will say good modding can be carefully done. My '16 M6 SS was an almost all out bolton car and it ran and drove great. I do miss the M6 a little. I don't miss the long tube sound.

On one of my recent Camaros, my 2011 M6 LSD3 SS I seriously upgraded the suspension to fix the stock spooky step out handling. The results in performance were significant but the solid bushings transmitted the diff whine and the upgraded end links rattled. So the handling was much improved, and I took it out on a real race track. Fun. But the car with all the extra NVH made it less fun to drive every day.

Then when the 1LE came out I bought one of those. The handling was world class for the time with low NVH. But after doing the bolton route I went big with Twin Turbos. That extra 300 HP improved my ETs by about one second over the bolton level, but it also broke stuff. And I ended up redoing the bushings and replaced the Diff with the ZL1 diff. The extra weight dumbed down the handling and the NVH was ruined now with the diff whine and the steam locomotive noises. I decided that I ruined the car and was going to put it back to a bolton 1LE which was the modding sweet spot for that car. But then my friend totaled it. :(

I think with modding you carefully map out a plan and then slowly add the mods one at a time. With the ZL1 I think I do have a plan that would work without ruining the driving experience. For one thing avoid long tubes. Modern LS and LT engines with LTs have a very unpleasant sound with to my ears. But with porting, E85, and a good tune you can add close to 100 HP with zero changes to the sweet ZL1 driving experience. But for now I am sticking with mostly stock.

I have been to Atco twice since my last post, but still running 11.3-4 when it wasn't raining.

Also along these lines I have but the stock back tires on for the summer. The great Atco DA is just about gone so why not enjoy driving the car more now? And I bet my ETs will still be about the same. ON street tires my best 60's are about the same as with the DRs, but with DRs I am more consistent.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #628
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night....

And the DA was about +500.

I am now back on the stock tires. I think my next move is to replace the rears with 20x315 Toyo R888Rs and ditch the DRs for now. I only had two runs and the first one the 4-5 shift hestitated and killed the ET. That run below was against a Jeep TrackHawk. I was behind him checking in and I thought, a very good run for me. Stock we run about the same. In the line once we were running I waved him up to me.

My plans for an even run was foiled. He was modded. That is a lot of power to push that super heavy beast to low 11s. Oh well. I was happy with my 60' But people said I was spinning so it must have been after the 60'. On my second run I did notice the during and post 60' spinning big time. And once again the shifting was a little wierd. That run was 13.894@81.19. LOL There were some delays so I went home. Actually I am fine with two runs.

There was this very interesting Infinity mid size SUV also running low 11s. Whats with these family vehicles torching my ZL1? It's just not a fair fight. Anyway the Infifnity was older and under the hood was an iron block 376 LS with an LSA blower on top. It was so cool. It weighed close to 5000 pounds I think he said. The guy also said his company builds conversion kits for the swap. If zi see him again I will get more info and pics.

On a ZL1 note, last week there was a CA6 ZL1 10 speed converible running. It had a cage! The owner said that was for the future mods coming. As it was he had a small pulley, a bigger TB, LTs, a Rotofab Big Gulp, a tune, DRs, and maybe a ported blower. He was having big traction problems, but did put together one 10.40@133 run. That would be my preferred mod setup without the LTs. It sounded like crap running to my ears. So even if I subtract say about 40 HP without the LTs I would add E85 to put back some of that and cool the charge. So given my car is around 200 pounds lighter I think 10s would be easy for me with a similar set up.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #629
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Quote:

On a ZL1 note, last week there was a CA6 ZL1 10 speed converible running. It had a cage! The owner said that was for the future mods coming. As it was he had a small pulley, a bigger TB, LTs, a Rotofab Big Gulp, a tune, DRs, and maybe a ported blower. He was having big traction problems, but did put together one 10.40@133 run. That would be my preferred mod setup without the LTs. It sounded like crap running to my ears. So even if I subtract say about 40 HP without the LTs I would add E85 to put back some of that and cool the charge. So given my car is around 200 pounds lighter I think 10s would be easy for me.
DO IT.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #630
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
DO IT.
You are so bad. You know I am in the 12 step "No throwing away even more $$ on mods program"? I better call my sponsor Snowblind for support right now!