Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Made for different things.. one is for setting laps, other is for grippy tires for just about every day.

RE71R.. close but window of grip is SMALL and life span is SHORT.

Driven on all 3. I would say that Dunlop Ziii are close relative to PS 4S, louder cousin.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Sorry I do plan on tracking the car, the reson I was so vague is I thought people were familiar with what I was talking about but I will explain better.

On going to Goodyear I heard Chevy contacted Michelin for the Camaro after using the PSS/PS4S on the Corvette and they either said they didn't have enough production capacity or didn't think the Camaro was a highend enough car to warrant dealing with and it didn't happen, just thought that was odd.

On to the PS4S, I have Super sports on both my other cars and plan on replacing them with PS4S's, when I was looking into them they were the best hands down, they compared them to the Yoko Advan AD07/8, Kohmo Exsta XS which isn't made anymore and the RE-71R's all Extreme performance tires and the PSS was better than all of them, the Extas had more grip but were less predictable, and the other two were more responsive but had slightly less dry grip and way less in the wet and on top of that the PSS lasted twice as long, the PS4S improved on this even more so thats why I was wondering.

It appears that while the F1 Asymmetric aren't very good, and while the F1SC 3R's compete with the Sport Cups the F1SC 3's (no R) fall between the PS4S and the Sport Cup's, I just wonder how long they last.
You're on crack.

I have used all the tires listed (except for the Exsta) on my previous M3, TTRS, and 335i. The PSS is NOT in the same league, when it comes to dry grip. Maybe in the wet, but NOT in the dry.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #17
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Sorry I do plan on tracking the car, the reson I was so vague is I thought people were familiar with what I was talking about but I will explain better.
Check out the Road Course/Autocross and the 1LE-specific sections. People have tracked these things with many different tires. SC3 that comes on the 1LE gets very good reviews for track use.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
GY designed the SCR3 as the competitor to the Sport Cup 2. You're comparing 2 different class of tires, as mentioned multiple times already.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #19
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
I've decided to get PS4s for my 1LE instead of the stock Goodyears. My 1LE is a daily driver about 90% of the time until it snows. I have heard terrible things about wet traction on the stock tires which bothers me. I plan on doing maybe one or two track days just to get comfortable in the car, I certainly won't be pushing it to any limit.

Am I making the wrong decision by selling my SC3s and replacing them with PS4s from the start?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #20
enzia35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I've decided to get PS4s for my 1LE instead of the stock Goodyears. My 1LE is a daily driver about 90% of the time until it snows. I have heard terrible things about wet traction on the stock tires which bothers me. I plan on doing maybe one or two track days just to get comfortable in the car, I certainly won't be pushing it to any limit.

Am I making the wrong decision by selling my SC3s and replacing them with PS4s from the start?
If it's mostly a DD as you say, that's a great decision.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #21
TRZ06

Quote:

IDK, I think it depends more on your local roads than the tires.

We have had a VERY wet winter here in CA and I daily drove my 1LE with the stock GY tires with no issues. Keep in mind though that I used common sense with regards to speeds and used a light foot on the GO pedal.

Most of our roads have good water channeling properties, so there is not a lot of standing water most of the time, and if there is, traffic is usually slower to account for that anyways.

If your goal is to drive it like you do in the dry, then yeah PS4 might be a better choice for you, but if you change your driving habits to adjust for the conditions, you should be just fine.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #22
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
IDK, I think it depends more on your local roads than the tires.

We have had a VERY wet winter here in CA and I daily drove my 1LE with the stock GY tires with no issues. Keep in mind though that I used common sense with regards to speeds and used a light foot on the GO pedal.

Most of our roads have good water channeling properties, so there is not a lot of standing water most of the time, and if there is, traffic is usually slower to account for that anyways.

If your goal is to drive it like you do in the dry, then yeah PS4 might be a better choice for you, but if you change your driving habits to adjust for the conditions, you should be just fine.
I can definitely adapt to conditions and drive conservatively, but Metro Detroit roads are some of the worst in the country. Lots of standing water and inadequate draining, especially on the highways/interstates that I regularly travel.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #23
TRZ06

Quote:
I can definitely adapt to conditions and drive conservatively, but Metro Detroit roads are some of the worst in the country. Lots of standing water and inadequate draining, especially on the highways/interstates that I regularly travel.
Then I can understand the change, but usually if that is the case, traffic in general slows down. Some tires are great at channeling water out, but I bet at least 50% of cars are still on less than optimal tires or tread wear.

I always worry about hydroplaning, but it is very rare that when the roads are so bad that hydroplaning can happen that traffic is moving at just a speed to make it happen. Most traffic flow usually slows to the conditions present at the time.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #24
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
GY designed the SCR3 as the competitor to the Sport Cup 2. You're comparing 2 different class of tires, as mentioned multiple times already.
I'm talking about the SC3 not the SC3R, Although I wish they mad a SC3R in SS 1LE sizes.

Quote:

Idk from what I have experienced they are only bad in the wet when cold, like <50 degrees, and only under acceleration, braking and turning still seems ok.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #25
enzia35

Regardless:
SC3R=Sport Cup 2 - Streetable Track & Competition (Goodyear stock on zl1 1le)
SC3 - Extreme summer (Goodyear stock on 1le)
Asymmetric 3=PS4S - Max summer (Goodyear stock on SS)
Old 08-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #26
ggaites

Drives: 2021 ZL1 6MT
Goodyear SC3 over PS4

I went through 6 sets of tires on my SS that I put 10” and 11” wheels on and ran the ZL1 size tires (285 front, 305 rear). I tried the Pilot Super Sports, then the 4S which I went through several sets. After 44,000 miles I put the stock wheels and tires back on and turned in the car to GM.

I replaced the car with a 2019 1LE. Immediately the advantage in grip of the Goodyear’s was apparent to me over the Michelin 4S and I sold the spare wheels with the Michelin’s mounted. No question that the SC3 is a grippier tire. And on the track it does not go “greasy” like the Michelin. With the Michelin’s the grip was gone after @12 minutes of hard driving.

I drive super hard on the street daily and SoCal is very dry and I can’t give up the grip that the SC3 affords me. If you’re not asking much from the car then get the Michelin’s. If you can’t help but use the capabilities of the car as much as possible then stick with the Goodyear’s.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #27
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaites View Post
I went through 6 sets of tires on my SS that I put 10” and 11” wheels on and ran the ZL1 size tires (285 front, 305 rear). I tried the Pilot Super Sports, then the 4S which I went through several sets. After 44,000 miles I put the stock wheels and tires back on and turned in the car to GM.

I replaced the car with a 2019 1LE. Immediately the advantage in grip of the Goodyear’s was apparent to me over the Michelin 4S and I sold the spare wheels with the Michelin’s mounted. No question that the SC3 is a grippier tire. And on the track it does not go “greasy” like the Michelin. With the Michelin’s the grip was gone after @12 minutes of hard driving.

I drive super hard on the street daily and SoCal is very dry and I can’t give up the grip that the SC3 affords me. If you’re not asking much from the car then get the Michelin’s. If you can’t help but use the capabilities of the car as much as possible then stick with the Goodyear’s.
I couldn't have said it better. SC3's FTW!!!

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #28
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I liked my PS4S's on my 17 Camaro SS for daily driving and dealing with rain. Here in Raleigh NC, they don't care about how much water stands in the road, so the Michelins were far superior in dealing with that. I also got 28,000 miles out of my first set. The stock Goodyear run flats made it about 14,000. Now the OEM Goodyears on my 1LE aren't quite as bad as those Goodyear runflats. I can also say the difference on track with the Michelins is I definitely felt them roll over in turns and you truly lose a bunch of turn in feel and grip. I wished I had my Goodyears back for that reason only.
I probably have a few thousand miles left in my SC3's on my 1LE. It's tough to justify paying over double for the Michelins. Truly you need two sets of wheels and tires, then there is no more debating or deciding.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote