Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
simple way to prove your case.

take a meter and measure the voltage at the coils before you add your extra ground straps.

Measure the voltage at the same positions after adding them.

That will give you a pretty good idea on if it makes an actual difference. If you want to go further. disconnect the battery and measure the resistance with it connected and without it connected at points external to the cable but touching the same mounting points. Considering that spark plug coils in a v8 consume about 4amps total per second ...you would need a fairly significant difference in resistance to cause a voltage drop that makes a difference to the coils in the time it needs to reach spark charge.

But hey, if it makes you feel better, it's worth it. Though, if you notice a difference in how your car runs after adding an extra ground wire to a body panel, I'd be more inclined to think that there's a loose connection somewhere that could have been tightened up instead to offer the same benefit than your extra foot of copper (or more likely, aluminum) wire will provide over what is usually a much larger surface area of aluminum or steel.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I used OFC (oxygen free copper) for the wires in the engine bay. However as you probably already knwow the cheaper wire CCA {copper core aluminum} is what is mostly sold out there. I think that you would get the same results, but I spent just a little more for quality purposes. I will see if I can get some readings with my volt meter this weekend as you suggest and do that along with the before and after zero to 60 runs. This is going to be very interesting indeed. thanks for the suggestion.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote