Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Reporting back that it was not water / moisture related.
The phenomena did not re-occur until today.

Situation as follows:

- Drove the car as usual, all normal for ~ half and hour.

- Stopped somewhere to eat for ~ 1 hour and when I started the engine it happened again!
Fan full blast, Temp gauge pegged on Min. / Low (although true Temp. is expected to be higher: I.E. normal Temp. coolant restarting the engine after ~ 1 hour at ambient of ~ 80F), AC would not kick in.

- Stopped the engine and fan keeps on running full blast, even after closing and locking the doors.

- Opened the door and started the engine and everything back to normal: Fan not blowing full blast any longer and Coolant Temp. gauge displaying normal Temp. ~ 195

This random behavior is driving me insane - What is going on here? What can it be? Anyone who can add details / encountered it and got it solved - Please chime in
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #16
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Bumping this thread up again.

Just wanted to quickly update the community that the phenomena of going into "Safe Mode" (Fan at full blast, AC not working, Coolant Temp. Gauge pegged at Min.) began happening ever so often.
CEL illuminated constantly, unless codes erased.

In addition, when driving for over 15 minutes this way, the oil pressure began increasing (ECM protection measure: solenoid closing the oil pump pressure valve, since the assumption that there might be an overheating issue going on)

The P01119 DTC on the diagnostics scanner (ECT Sensor malfunction intermittent) came up every time and eventually brought up P01118 as well (ECT Sensor Signal High), which basically means high resistance = disconnection of the thermistor wire inside the sensor.
Had the dealer replace the ECT sensor last week (for anyone interested in the correct Part#, LT1 V8,: AC Delco 213-4333 / GM 12608814).
Warranty claim.
Problem resolved (so far). No DTC anymore. Hope it will not come back.

Looks like the problem was indeed a faulty ECT sensor from the factory. I was told that when they are new, this is a very seldom case - But can happen.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Anybody have a issue like this with their v6? Unfortunately, I am having the same intermittent issues of low temp gauge, no A/C, and cooling fans running after car is shut off. I cant find anybody with a v6 that had this issue.

P0128 pops up when driven under the right conditions during this issue, but I know it's not a thermostat issue because I'm getting heat through my vents.

Any help is appreciated
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #18
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
I know there are some TSB's related to securing some of the wiring looms from getting pinched/caught up causing exposed copper wiring which could cause all sorts of problems. That may be worth checking out, although I can't remember if they are only applicable to the SS or ZL1.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #19
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar05 View Post
Anybody have a issue like this with their v6? Unfortunately, I am having the same intermittent issues of low temp gauge, no A/C, and cooling fans running after car is shut off. I cant find anybody with a v6 that had this issue.

P0128 pops up when driven under the right conditions during this issue, but I know it's not a thermostat issue because I'm getting heat through my vents.

Any help is appreciated
DTC P0128 = Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #20
Craftsmansteve

Drives: 2016 V6 Camaro RS
Mountain so what number in your diagram is the actual sensor that I need to replace? Thanks
Craftsmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #21
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I found this issue in my car to be due to a code that was thrown for reading the temp sensor. Once this code is thrown (no cel) the ecu wont re-test it for like 20+ restarts. While this code is thrown, the ecu will ignore the temp sensor readings and pretend like it's potentially always overheating, showing 0 temp in the dash.

If you read real temp in a scanner then you can clear the code for the temp sensor and it should immediately work like normal ( no restart of the car needed).

If you dont see the code or after clearing the codes you do see and nothing new shows up and you still have no temp, then you need to use a better scanner that can read all of the submodules independently. It's in there still and your scanner isn't clearing it.

edit: perhaps related, probably not, but this coincided roughly with my HMI unit getting a bit fritzy and then finally failing (black screen of semi-death...where everything works but video output ...and usb is intermittant).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #22
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsmansteve View Post
Mountain so what number in your diagram is the actual sensor that I need to replace? Thanks
From memory, and what seems rational to me, is #2. I remember looking it up and noting it was a bit buried (under the intake manifold).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #23
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
Just had this happen. It was raining. Temp gauge said low and the fans ran full blast even when I shut the car off. I disconnected the fan harness to get it to shut off. Plugged in back in the next day and it hasn't happened sense.
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #24
Craftsmansteve

Drives: 2016 V6 Camaro RS
Thanks Mountain
Craftsmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:31 AM   #25
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’ve been having the issue for a while, it went away for a few months but has recently resurfaced. I’ll try to find a part number using Mountains diagram now that I have some place to look.

Very temporary fix is unplug the negative off the battery and replug it to reset.

Edit: I think I found it (12650595) but it’s not the same as Mountains diagram

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 11-27-2019 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Found sensor
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
This code is caused by a stuck open thermostat or from replacing the OEM 194° thermostat with a 160° thermostat.

The ECM has to see at least 167° with in soo many minutes after the start of the drive cycle otherwise it will kill the gauges, turn the fans on. As said you can pull the battery cable and get it back to normal, but once it trips again it will do the same thing.

Have any of you replaced your OEM thermostat with a lower than OEM temp thermostat? If you do you will need to turn the P0128 code off in the tune.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:30 AM   #27
Street Lethal
Tech Anarchist

Drives: GM F-Body's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camar05

Any help is appreciated
I noticed that in my case, this will only trigger when I intend to put the heat on with the temp setting already set at 80 degrees plus, but forget to turn the AC button off because it turns on automatically. After a few seconds in this state (high temp setting, AC on) there is a skew. It reminds me of when we would trip the old OBD1 ECU's through the ALDL, and the fan would kick in, with the Coolant Temp gauge bottoming out. It resets after a few starting attempts, but I will just disconnect the battery to reset it if I don't want to wait...

- Rob
Street Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #28
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I never use the ac or heater. Can probably count on one hand how many times it's been on in the past 4 years.

Stock thermostat.

I've seen the issue occur when starting the car on steep inclines more than not... But it is a super rare intermittent issue. I just plug my diagnostic device in and clear the code that triggers it and it immediately behaves like normal.

I'd be willing to bet it is a faulty temp sensor connection. Thing is the ECU won't retest in for like 12 starts after a failure. Also, you gotta love the lack of a dic or ces from it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote