Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
1st Autocross Completed - Some Questions

As the title mentions, I participated in my first Autocross event. It was a blast and will be recommending it to everyone and anyone. I have a few questions for those who are more experienced.

1. I daily my car and want to get aftermarket speakers installed, that would include a sub in the back. Would I fail the tech inspection with a subwoofer in the trunk? I think only way to pass would be if it was bolted down in some manner. Any suggestions?

2. Those of you like me who daily your car, what tires do you use? I am still on the stock tires, but looking for suggestions moving forward. Would two sets be beneficial in the long run? I personal dislike the stock Goodyear F1s.

Lastly here’s a clip I got from my dashcam of my best run. https://youtu.be/iEWHjbpoLyc

tons of room for improvement. 10th best time out of everyone there. Of the top ten roughly 3-5 had an instructor do a timed lap for them giving them a better run than what they could do on their own. With that said I’m very impressed and happy with my performance. Top time was 61s by a Tesla..
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
kjchristopher

Drives: 911SC
re sub, either make it easily removable or hard mounted. (I don’t have any specific make/model suggestions, but suspect you’ll see several options in the audio/video section of the forum.)

Tires - what class/organization are you planning to run with? Are you open to buying a set of wheels for autocross? Answers to these two questions will impact suggestions.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
1) . . . Ultimately you're not going to want to be carting around the extra weight, so I think "easily removable" would end up being the better approach. Though even for daily driving I think I'd want a sub strapped down somehow.

2) . . . Autocrossing would certainly help get you out of those Goodyears more quickly, and in the process give you a better idea what you want in tires and what class you see yourself running in. Certainly by the time you get semi-serious - let's say running once a month every month toward the top of a class against decent competition - you'd be ready to run a separate set of wheels and tires dedicated to autocross. Plan on studying the rulebook so you know which tires and how much wheel is permitted in any of the classes you might consider running in. Autocross class rules tend to be picky in those respects.

Norm
Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #4
eaglesfan2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
re sub, either make it easily removable or hard mounted. (I don’t have any specific make/model suggestions, but suspect you’ll see several options in the audio/video section of the forum.)

Tires - what class/organization are you planning to run with? Are you open to buying a set of wheels for autocross? Answers to these two questions will impact suggestions.
For now, will be going through BMW CCA. I’m going to see how many events I attend this year before buying anything. Definitely want to upgrade from the Goodyear’s regardless for my daily set.

I think I’m going to take the easily removeable approach.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
eaglesfan2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
1) . . . Ultimately you're not going to want to be carting around the extra weight, so I think "easily removable" would end up being the better approach. Though even for daily driving I think I'd want a sub strapped down somehow.

2) . . . Autocrossing would certainly help get you out of those Goodyears more quickly, and in the process give you a better idea what you want in tires and what class you see yourself running in. Certainly by the time you get semi-serious - let's say running once a month every month toward the top of a class against decent competition - you'd be ready to run a separate set of wheels and tires dedicated to autocross. Plan on studying the rulebook so you know which tires and how much wheel is permitted in any of the classes you might consider running in. Autocross class rules tend to be picky in those respects.

Norm
I have an “all in one” sub, so it has the amp built into it. I had this in my previous car and put a strip of Velcro on the bottom and it didn’t move once. I’ll probably take this same approach since it was easy to remove.

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely look into rules before anything.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
For tires the top two auto-x tires are the Bridgestone RE71R's and the BFG Rivals. If you want to keep the costs down a bit I'd recommend a set of 295/30/20 square RE71R's on your stock wheels, once you get serious you can get some 19" wheels and run 305 squares.

I think the RE71R is a decent street tire also, ok in the wet and the wear isn't terrible considering the grip.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i dont daily my car but i used to and i run michelin ps4s tires and do auto x/track days on weekends
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So the stock tires on the V6 1LE aren't that great (as we all know)... I would say you need to decide what is more important to you: 1. Optimal tire for Autocross which is also a good street tire, or 2. A damn good street tire that is also decent-fairly good for autocross.

Option 1. RE71Rs
Option 2. PS4s

Come find me at one of the BMW CCA events and I'll show you how good the RE71s are lol I run them on my SS 1LE, and I should be at all of the CCA events in Waldorf this year. I'll be in the blue 1LE with red wheels, you can't miss it lol
Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
If you are like me...you want to stay in a street class (meaning forget about a square setup as you can't mess with wheel diameters), and you daily drive (meaning decent miles go on your tires), and you want to be competitive (meaning you need RE-71r's or something with a 200 treadwear)...I think your best bet is to get a 2nd set of rims and maintain a daily driver set and an AX set. In the long run, you will save your money back because the competitive tires will wear too much for daily driving. And you will have a shot at being competitive because you will have the "right" tires.
Also, at least for SCCA rules, you can stay in street class and go down 1" in wheel diameter. Just another reason to go with a 2nd set of dedicated AX/Track day wheels/tires.
Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Get outa here with that sub business.

Get a dedicated set of wheels and tires for Autox. It will actually save you money in the long run, like less than a year if you make once a month showings. Find the SCCA group near you and run CAM-C. Earn points, get trophies. Have fun.
Attached Images