Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #29
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
At one time in our history people said that "The horseless carriage will never replace the horse" or "Can a horseless carriage plow a field?" Time and science move forward and usually find a way to solve a problem.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #30
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I still say the Hybrid is the way to go. At least you can charge on the go and not be tethered to a charging point. Sooner or later the power companies will start adding "surcharges" to your electric bills and "cheap" electricity will go the way of $0.49/gal premium.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
At one time in our history people said that "The horseless carriage will never replace the horse" or "Can a horseless carriage plow a field?" Time and science move forward and usually find a way to solve a problem.
In its current form, the Camaro is not so disadvantaged on any technical or mechanical level that it needs to be "fixed" by massive change.

Norm
Old 09-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
It wasn't necessary at that time in history for the government to make horses illegal or regulate them out of existence in order for the horseless carriage to move forward or to promote science.

EV's have no popular market or demand without being subsidized and ICE being unnecessarily dis-incentivized. Left to themselves, EVs would never replace ICE without government intervention to intentionally destroy the economically viable and beneficial system of fossil fuels and ICE industries.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #33
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It wasn't necessary at that time in history for the government to make horses illegal or regulate them out of existence in order for the horseless carriage to move forward or to promote science.

EV's have no popular market or demand without being subsidized and ICE being unnecessarily dis-incentivized. Left to themselves, EVs would never replace ICE without government intervention to intentionally destroy the economically viable and beneficial system of fossil fuels and ICE industries.
Very good point. Seems that California just enacted the "Motor Law" referenced in the song Red Barchetta by the excellent band Rush. Listened to that tune plenty as a Hot Rodding youth and I hoped we would never get to this stage of the game. When Internal Combustion Engines are outlawed only outlaws will have Internal Combustion Engines.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #34
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Not that I particularly support the California law, and we will see if it actually stays in effect in 15 years, but it only restricts sales of NEW vehicles. There is nothing that says you can’t keep driving an existing gasoline powered vehicle.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Very good point. Seems that California just enacted the "Motor Law" referenced in the song Red Barchetta by the excellent band Rush. Listened to that tune plenty as a Hot Rodding youth and I hoped we would never get to this stage of the game. When Internal Combustion Engines are outlawed only outlaws will have Internal Combustion Engines.
California/Newsome and his executive order to ban gas only engine sales after 2035 just doubled down on stupid...Already numerous power plants are running on temporary permits and are past due or soon to be shut down as per existing law. The very electric generating plants that are currently insufficient to provide enough power to avoid black-outs now will be gone forever by the time only all-electric only cars are for sale....This is no accident or oversight. It is designed to make auto ownership unaffordable, either electric or gas, and force the vast majority into public transportation. No way enough electricity will be available to charge EVs, and especially not enough should everyone be fortunate enough to afford one, and they won't be.

The public just isn't going for the EV, public transportation bs fast enough to suit the bureaucrats and politicians. It must be forced upon them with no choice or freedom to choose options. EVs, available power will only be available to the very few willing to pay the exhorbitant cost necessary. It will never be workable for the general public.

Hopefully Newsome's executive order to ban ICE sales in 2035 will be challenged and he will lose in court. It needs to be reversed in a timely manner to avoid chaos. But he won't care what the consequences are.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #36
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Not that I particularly support the California law, and we will see if it actually stays in effect in 15 years, but it only restricts sales of NEW vehicles. There is nothing that says you can’t keep driving an existing gasoline powered vehicle.
As long as you can bring one into the state, people will just buy cars across state lines (at least those close to the boarders), unless the EVs are just flat out better cars.

I grew up in the era when 60s muscle grew in desirability because all the cars being manufactured were slow and hard to modify. By the 90s, they had exploded in price and there were all kinds of companies making NOS parts. I'm ok with what I have today if they stop making muscle cars tomorrow, but I feel sorry for future generations Nevertheless I really don't think an ICE ban will stick. It seems more like virtue signaling to me.

However, if all the crazy talk these days does come to fruition, I can see people moving to Mexico as telecommuting becomes more commonplace.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #37
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Food for thought.

It's Official — Consumer Reports Confirms EV Owners Spend Half As Much On Maintenance

https://twitter.com/cleantechnica/st...097548802?s=07
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #38
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
As long as you can bring one into the state, people will just buy cars across state lines (at least those close to the boarders), unless the EVs are just flat out better cars.

I grew up in the era when 60s muscle grew in desirability because all the cars being manufactured were slow and hard to modify. By the 90s, they had exploded in price and there were all kinds of companies making NOS parts. I'm ok with what I have today if they stop making muscle cars tomorrow, but I feel sorry for future generations Nevertheless I really don't think an ICE ban will stick. It seems more like virtue signaling to me.

However, if all the crazy talk these days does come to fruition, I can see people moving to Mexico as telecommuting becomes more commonplace.
If it's like when I lived in PA, you couldn't buy a new car in Maryland because they didn't have the same emissions restrictions. You could buy a used car, but not a new one. I'm sure it would be similar in California as well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #39
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Bruh,

They're going out of biness any day now.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #40
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
I'm satisfaction my Model 3 SR+ in general although Tesla service and QC are ridiculously terrible.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #41

Something new to contemplate....The future is coming...another plus for the environment...lol

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/19/...#slide-2279196
Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #42
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
California/Newsome and his executive order to ban gas only engine sales after 2035 just doubled down on stupid...Already numerous power plants are running on temporary permits and are past due or soon to be shut down as per existing law. The very electric generating plants that are currently insufficient to provide enough power to avoid black-outs now will be gone forever by the time only all-electric only cars are for sale....This is no accident or oversight. It is designed to make auto ownership unaffordable, either electric or gas, and force the vast majority into public transportation. No way enough electricity will be available to charge EVs, and especially not enough should everyone be fortunate enough to afford one, and they won't be.

The public just isn't going for the EV, public transportation bs fast enough to suit the bureaucrats and politicians. It must be forced upon them with no choice or freedom to choose options. EVs, available power will only be available to the very few willing to pay the exhorbitant cost necessary. It will never be workable for the general public.

Hopefully Newsome's executive order to ban ICE sales in 2035 will be challenged and he will lose in court. It needs to be reversed in a timely manner to avoid chaos. But he won't care what the consequences are.
Here’s the thing....Newsom’s executive order is not a law and it does not ban the sale of ICE vehicles. That’s just the way it’s being reported by journalists that haven’t bothered to really read it. What it is is a directive from the governor to the regulatory agencies in California to study what it would take to enact such a ban. It’s the difference between telling your mechanic to install a Maggie in your 6th Gen vs asking him to give you an estimate and tell you what the performance changes will be.

The report coming back to Newsom could say
  • Sure it’s possible, but here’s what the impacts will be and here’s what it will cost. Still wanna do this?
  • It’s not possible by 2035, but if you’re willing to make a few changes, you can get it done by 2040
  • Sorry boss, this is a non-starter
  • Something completely different
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote