Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
JonGSA

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
^ Exactly. Bose seems to alter the EQ curves to their liking. So when you do adjust the bass/mid/trebles, you're not just raising or lowering a linear sweep-like curve. We're raising/lowering their predefined EQ curve. Im no audio expert but i say they have the 80-100hz level higher than the rest of the lower bass frequencies.

I tried that too and while it gets rid of the boom, it also gets rid of the bass in general.

Also i just thought of this.....you would think with a 8" touch screen, they would of built in like a 10 band slider EQ menu.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
JonGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #30
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGSA View Post
^ Exactly. Bose seems to alter the EQ curves to their liking. So when you do adjust the bass/mid/trebles, you're not just raising or lowering a linear sweep-like curve. We're raising/lowering their predefined EQ curve. Im no audio expert but i say they have the 80-100hz level higher than the rest of the lower bass frequencies.

I tried that too and while it gets rid of the boom, it also gets rid of the bass in general.

Also i just thought of this.....you would think with a 8" touch screen, they would of built in like a 10 band slider EQ menu.
You would think!

BTW, nice avatar. I have a 2013 GS-W (not "A").
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

It's just the way they have set it up, the Vette has 4 Eq programs/settings, one is driver centered, a few others I can't remember....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Bose seems to like symphonic metal because it sounds pretty nice on it with equalizer settings all kicked up evenly a bit and fade kicked way back to the rear (so you can actually hear any audio from them) and volume at around 75%
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #33
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Yeah, I looked into that and there are tons of sound processors, equalizers, etc...out there. But that's a quite an expensive undertaking. The few I looked at, all convert the speaker level outputs into line level, while EQ'ing them in the process. Not bad....but since the outputs are line level, we'll need an amplifier to boost the sound back to speaker level. I might need new speakers too...
It is even more complicated than this. From what I have read the Bose EQ will vary with the volume setting. So you need to pick a volume setting, feed the signal into a processor to EQ it and get it to line level, then re-amp and redistribute to speakers. You need a signal processor or amp with remote volume and/or EQ panel you mount somewhere convenient, because if you touch the main system volume knob, your signal processor output will no longer be "flat." To avoid this you need to adjust volume with the remote volume knob and keep your hands off the system control.

It pains me to say it, but such processors (with remote volume) do exist for exactly the stated reason.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #34
JonGSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You would think!

BTW, nice avatar. I have a 2013 GS-W (not "A").
Haha, Thanks. I got a 2011 GSA. It's my 3rd GS over the years. I had a 2007 GS then a few year back I picked up an old 95 1100GS. That thing was actually kinda fun....i kinda regret selling it. How do you like the wethead? I test rode one about 2 years ago and loved it. I had to talk myself down after I got back to the dealer. Just say thanks, it was great....and walk away back to my ole camhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Bose seems to like symphonic metal because it sounds pretty nice on it with equalizer settings all kicked up evenly a bit and fade kicked way back to the rear (so you can actually hear any audio from them) and volume at around 75%
Ill have to try that. What kind of symphonic metal are we talking here? I'm a huge Nightwish fan here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
It is even more complicated than this. From what I have read the Bose EQ will vary with the volume setting. So you need to pick a volume setting, feed the signal into a processor to EQ it and get it to line level, then re-amp and redistribute to speakers. You need a signal processor or amp with remote volume and/or EQ panel you mount somewhere convenient, because if you touch the main system volume knob, your signal processor output will no longer be "flat." To avoid this you need to adjust volume with the remote volume knob and keep your hands off the system control.

It pains me to say it, but such processors (with remote volume) do exist for exactly the stated reason.
I was afraid of this too. Reading this, makes me want to wash my mouth out with a 12 gauge with the though of upgrading the Bose system. The most I use the Bose, im coming to terms with it, but sheesh...give us a hair more flexibility to adjust the cars sound. Like Glen said, at least the Vette has a few different EQ/imaging settings. Would it of killed them to add it to the camaro too.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #35
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Haha, Thanks. I got a 2011 GSA. It's my 3rd GS over the years. I had a 2007 GS then a few year back I picked up an old 95 1100GS. That thing was actually kinda fun....i kinda regret selling it. How do you like the wethead? I test rode one about 2 years ago and loved it. I had to talk myself down after I got back to the dealer. Just say thanks, it was great....and walk away back to my ole camhead.
My second GS, but 3rd BMW. Started with an R1100RS. I also have a 2005 R1200GS (first year hexhead), that I am trying to sell. I was happy with it until I rode the '13. Maybe see you at an MOA or YB thing?

Quote:
I was afraid of this too. Reading this, makes me want to wash my mouth out with a 12 gauge with the though of upgrading the Bose system. The most I use the Bose, im coming to terms with it, but sheesh...give us a hair more flexibility to adjust the cars sound. Like Glen said, at least the Vette has a few different EQ/imaging settings. Would it of killed them to add it to the camaro too.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #36
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:

Ill have to try that. What kind of symphonic metal are we talking here? I'm a huge Nightwish fan here. :thumbsup
Throw nemo on there. They got a lot of good old songs to throw on there. Or any of tarja's solo stuff.

Birthday massacre also sounds great on the system but different genre.

It this moment tends to be hard to judge because they include rasp and distortion in the track
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #37
JonGSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Throw nemo on there. They got a lot of good old songs to throw on there. Or any of tarja's solo stuff.

Birthday massacre also sounds great on the system but different genre.

It this moment tends to be hard to judge because they include rasp and distortion in the track

You're not going to believe me but lucky for you im also a TBM fan too. Damn we got good taste in music.. I think Remember Me just came on when I was pulling into work this morning from my phone.

Now that we're talking about it...i think they might sound great because they add reverb to all their songs pretty much. So it sounds spacious and at times...phantom like. Now that I think of it, just like the guitar part in Remember Me. So it kind of defeats Blowse's imaging and sound stage in a way.

Ill try Nemo on the way home. I know a lot of the older Century Child, Wishmaster and Once stuff with Tarja had a fair amount of reverb also mastered in to get a orchestral feel to it as well. Even newer songs like The Poet and the Pendulum are mixed that way.

....and who ever mixed and mastered Endless Forms....need to be fired.

Other money pits:
'13 S1000RR
'11 R1200 GS Adventure
'01 HD Sporty 1250
Old 06-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
pdrumans

Drives: 2LT Red Hot 2.0t
I keep my treble all the way up, Mids two or three above middle and bass at middle center. Fade one click to the rear. Sounds a little less front heavy for me. I would rather feel surrounded by the music, than feel like its all in front of me.
pdrumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #39
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrumans View Post
I keep my treble all the way up, Mids two or three above middle and bass at middle center. Fade one click to the rear. Sounds a little less front heavy for me. I would rather feel surrounded by the music, than feel like its all in front of me.
Maybe I'll try that. I get no definition in the mid to upper bass register at all. All deep low end boominess.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #40
Leadrightpedal

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Yeah, the bass is indeed boomy. Not what I prefer.
The bass in this car is horrible. Boomy. Causes the panels to rattle. I want to insert a high pass filter to cut off anything below 60hz. I’ll take no bass over what passes for bass in this system.
Leadrightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #41
Leadrightpedal

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
I find that if I back off the bass a bit, it isn't quite as boomy, but it still doesn't provide a clean bass sound.
I have to cut it down to a little more than halfway down the slider. Otherwise it sounds like a cheap boom box. Can’t imagine raising the bass in this system.
Leadrightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #42
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Just bring it back and all thread but I'm wondering if anybody's found I'm more preferred setting for the Bose system this late in the game
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote