Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2024, 02:29 PM   #141
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
This morning I pulled the fuse on my OnStar. Lights are all off on OnStar inside the car so that's a positive.

I noticed that the car would still talk to my home Wifi (parked in the garage) and could tell the strength of my signal and my neighbours. That says despite pulling the OnStar fuse there is still a radio transmitter working on the car, could that same module be the cell connection?

If the car can talk to a Wifi or a cell site then GM might still get their driving data thru either of those sources. Maybe pulling those modules out of the car is the only way, not sure now. Anyone from GM here that would know if the Wifi and Cellphone modules are integrated or not?
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 04:04 PM   #142
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Yes, I understood it just fine the first time. All I was pointing out is that there was an update to the My Chevy app and that, in my case, it was still displaying it was turned off, in contrast to those here who saw it turn back on randomly.

I have zero doubt that GM is happily selling any data it can about me (and the rest of us) to the highest bidder.
You should delete the MyChevy app. How much you want to bet that it is secretly recording your driving and sending that data back to GM?

I don't trust any big company especially GM, Ford, etc. as they are all data mining us.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #143
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
You should delete the MyChevy app. How much you want to bet that it is secretly recording your driving and sending that data back to GM?

I don't trust any big company especially GM, Ford, etc. as they are all data mining us.

I expect the app isn't even there for driving data, but rather sending information about web traffic and other clicks to whomever GM wants to sell that to. The privacy rabbit hole is deep and there is a limited amount one can do without going completely off the grid. I don't know about Apple but I do use most of the granular app permission controls on my Android device. Even that requires trusting Google/Alphabet to some degree, which I'm not keen on either.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #144
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I never had any trouble in my 2021 LT1 and drove like a nut. Must be in the newer cars.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:33 PM   #145
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
It’s a pain in the kazoo for me to crawl under the dashboard after recovering from a double whammy of RSV and pneumonia, so does anyone want to make $100 and come to my house to remove my OnStar transceiver?
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:17 PM   #146
plusmiles

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
I have all my insurance coverage by one company. When I renewed my home insurance last year, I was told I could get a lower premium but I had negative information in my credit report. So I got a free credit report from NexisLexis. Within a week I got their report. SEVENTY TWO PAGES of On Star Data had been reported to them on my 2022 SS. I did not have any data reported with OnStar on my 2017 SS. So I called Nexis and explained to them how I wanted the data removed, that the Chevy Salesman had set up the OnStar and I hadn't explained to him that I didn't want the data reported. I attend various events like Laps for Charity at the Las Vegas Speedway, Drifting at Wildhorse Pass track, and the No Fly Zone (1/2 mile of runway at the Gila Bend Airport closes for the weekend for us). So how would Nexis exclude any of that from my normal day-to-day driving? Within another 10 days, Nexis sent me an updated record with ALL OnStar data removed. I also logged on to my OnStar account and deleted the Good Driver option or whatever it's called. For those that don't know, that option is available for the ultra safe, law abiding citizens who want that data reported so the insurance companies will give you a discount on premiums. Last week I exchanged my 22 for a 23 ZL1, same insurance company and no increase in my premiums.

Last edited by plusmiles; 03-17-2024 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more detail
plusmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:12 AM   #147
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
When I went to do it, there was a box to enter my social so I stopped. Did you have to enter your social?

No. Log into MYChevy on an actual computer or open a browser on your phone and you'll find it by following evergreens steps. When turning the one off in the app click the top right where your initials are and then click settings.
I worked with that service, they already have your social...
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:55 AM   #148
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusmiles View Post
I have all my insurance coverage by one company. When I renewed my home insurance last year, I was told I could get a lower premium but I had negative information in my credit report. So I got a free credit report from NexisLexis. Within a week I got their report. SEVENTY TWO PAGES of On Star Data had been reported to them on my 2022 SS. I did not have any data reported with OnStar on my 2017 SS. So I called Nexis and explained to them how I wanted the data removed, that the Chevy Salesman had set up the OnStar and I hadn't explained to him that I didn't want the data reported. I attend various events like Laps for Charity at the Las Vegas Speedway, Drifting at Wildhorse Pass track, and the No Fly Zone (1/2 mile of runway at the Gila Bend Airport closes for the weekend for us). So how would Nexis exclude any of that from my normal day-to-day driving? Within another 10 days, Nexis sent me an updated record with ALL OnStar data removed. I also logged on to my OnStar account and deleted the Good Driver option or whatever it's called. For those that don't know, that option is available for the ultra safe, law abiding citizens who want that data reported so the insurance companies will give you a discount on premiums. Last week I exchanged my 22 for a 23 ZL1, same insurance company and no increase in my premiums.
Interesting how "hard acceleration" will affect your house.

Were you doing a burnout on the roof?
Old 03-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #149
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Lawsuit...

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../15/765068.htm
Attached Images

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:03 AM   #150
CamaroRSOnt

I found the answer on the question I had posed the other day, why if my Onstar fuse is pulled is the car still seeing Wifi signals.

Turns out they are two different systems. The Wifi signal is controlled by the radio/entertainment system and not the onboard OnStar module. They do interact through the primary data channel in the car when both are operating normally, that allows GM to flow data thru your Wifi access, say when your parked in your garage and you had provided the password to your home Wifi. The car then has a alternative path back to the GM SmartDriver server and will use it if you let it.

The OnStar module has the capability to work with AT&T cell networks, it also receives (only) data from satellites for GPS etc.. If you have a OnStar subscription or have not subscribed the car will still transfer your driving data to GM via the AT&T cell network. On a regular basis if OnStar is on and working when the car gets close to a cell site, Onstar grabs the signal and transfers the data to GM without your knowledge. If you opt out of SmartDriver or not GM has that data. Removing that fuse for OnStar stops that process.

The Wifi signal could also be used to transfer the data if the OnStar module was working (fuse in), so if you pull the fuse it isn't, it's dead in the water, not able to talk to the Wifi system as well as the cell sites.

Those that leave the fuse in but but pull the radio module physically off the OnStar chip board need to avoid allowing their Wifi to connect or that data could also be transferred via Wifi. So long as Wifi cannot connect (don't give it a password that works and tell it to connect ) then they should also be fine. No data will get to GM.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-20-2024, 08:47 AM   #151
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
I found the answer on the question I had posed the other day, why if my Onstar fuse is pulled is the car still seeing Wifi signals.

Turns out they are two different systems. The Wifi signal is controlled by the radio/entertainment system and not the onboard OnStar module. They do interact through the primary data channel in the car when both are operating normally, that allows GM to flow data thru your Wifi access, say when your parked in your garage and you had provided the password to your home Wifi. The car then has a alternative path back to the GM SmartDriver server and will use it if you let it.

The OnStar module has the capability to work with AT&T cell networks, it also receives (only) data from satellites for GPS etc.. If you have a OnStar subscription or have not subscribed the car will still transfer your driving data to GM via the AT&T cell network. On a regular basis if OnStar is on and working when the car gets close to a cell site, Onstar grabs the signal and transfers the data to GM without your knowledge. If you opt out of SmartDriver or not GM has that data. Removing that fuse for OnStar stops that process.

The Wifi signal could also be used to transfer the data if the OnStar module was working (fuse in), so if you pull the fuse it isn't, it's dead in the water, not able to talk to the Wifi system as well as the cell sites.

Those that leave the fuse in but but pull the radio module physically off the OnStar chip board need to avoid allowing their Wifi to connect or that data could also be transferred via Wifi. So long as Wifi cannot connect (don't give it a password that works and tell it to connect ) then they should also be fine. No data will get to GM.
Thanks for this info. When I pull my car out of storage next month I plan to immediately remove the Onstar fuse. At some point I may remove the board completely. I've never even activated Onstar nor ever installed the app, but I don't trust GM one bit. Never connected through WiFi either, so hopefully I'm good. I bought my car to drive, not so I could be connected to social media so I don't care about losing any of that nonsense.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:57 AM   #152
CamaroRSOnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Thanks for this info. When I pull my car out of storage next month I plan to immediately remove the Onstar fuse. At some point I may remove the board completely. I've never even activated Onstar nor ever installed the app, but I don't trust GM one bit. Never connected through WiFi either, so hopefully I'm good. I bought my car to drive, not so I could be connected to social media so I don't care about losing any of that nonsense.

If you have never connected thru Wifi with your Camaro then no problem , it has no password to achieve a connection. For those that have connected thru their Wifi at home or other Wifi's elsewhere you need to go into the Wifi and manually tell it to forget that Wifi connection (there are prompts to do this), this removes the password information. It will still see the Wifi signal but cannot login any longer.
If you don't do that and it has your home password by example it will continuously login automatically when it sees say your home wifi signal, just like your laptop when it turns on or your cellphone when you come in the door at home.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 03-21-2024, 03:07 PM   #153
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post

So what about connecting your Phone. The phone uses Wifi and Bluetooth for Android auto in my case. In this case there is internet connection through your phone. The car might send the data. We don't know what android auto/carplay is allowing to flow.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:12 PM   #154
cgdelena

Drives: 2019 2SS
I cancelled OnStar on my car.
cgdelena is offline   Reply With Quote