#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 07-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Does Koni or Bilstein make a stock replacement shock for these cars yet?

Until that happens, this kit seems like the only way to go to lower the car and improve the handling with matched shocks to the lower springs.

This right here is the reason to go with the GM kit over the other aftermarket springs. The GM kit comes with shocks that are tuned for the ride height change. The aftermarket springs use the stock shocks, which when lowered are already part way through their damper phase, and thus not working optimally. This is why most cars that are lowered have awful ride quality - overly harsh, etc. The GM kit is tuned to work together, and also tuned to be integrated into the rest of the suspension already on the car. If you start doing major track based modifications, other kits may be better and at that point you're throwing ride quality out the window for track-level handling. But if you want to just lower the car and a decent improvement in handling, the GM kit is the way to go.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
This right here is the reason to go with the GM kit over the other aftermarket springs. The GM kit comes with shocks that are tuned for the ride height change. The aftermarket springs use the stock shocks, which when lowered are already part way through their damper phase, and thus not working optimally. This is why most cars that are lowered have awful ride quality - overly harsh, etc. The GM kit is tuned to work together, and also tuned to be integrated into the rest of the suspension already on the car. If you start doing major track based modifications, other kits may be better and at that point you're throwing ride quality out the window for track-level handling. But if you want to just lower the car and a decent improvement in handling, the GM kit is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #17
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Does Koni or Bilstein make a stock replacement shock for these cars yet?

Until that happens, this kit seems like the only way to go to lower the car and improve the handling with matched shocks to the lower springs.
There is a company that adapts Koni shocks to the 6g, cost is 2500 bucks and you must send them your struts to be converted. I am under the impression(?) that the Koni conversion is meant for F/S autocross use. That would mean that the shocks are valved for the stock FE3 springs. Don't know how well those would work with aftermarket (lower/stiffer) springs. That is the appeal of this GM kit to me, the fact that the springs and shocks are matched.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
There is a company that adapts Koni shocks to the 6g, cost is 2500 bucks and you must send them your struts to be converted. I am under the impression(?) that the Koni conversion is meant for F/S autocross use. That would mean that the shocks are valved for the stock FE3 springs. Don't know how well those would work with aftermarket (lower/stiffer) springs. That is the appeal of this GM kit to me, the fact that the springs and shocks are matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I had a 3rd gen that I ran the Koni yellow DA with stock 1LE springs for FS and did quite well with it. Eventually ended up with a full drivetrain transplant and Eibach springs along with those same Koni's and it handled great and still rode pretty darn good.

I'm not looking to autox or track my car - it's a convertible anyway - just wanting to lower it slightly and firm up the handling just a bit and maybe add 1LE sized wheels / tires.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #20
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Bilstein now makes the B6 for the 2016-2020 Camaro. It's designed to be used at stock ride height, and should be a good match for the FE3 springs. I don't know whether it would perform better than the OEM dampers, which are good IMO.

I want more camber for my autocross and track use, and have been holding off on getting camber plates until I could also do a damper upgrade. Now I'm trying to figure out if the Bilstein B6 is a true upgrade (versus only a replacement), or maybe I ought to do the GM lowering kit.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #21
Chris_SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
...or maybe I ought to do the GM lowering kit.

I went to the dealership to get my GMPP lowering kit and swaybar kit along with the performance intake all installed in one go-around. As it turns out, the car already had the lowering and swaybar kit installed! I had the performance intake with recalibration done and took the money I would have spent on the suspension and purchased OEM 1LE wheels with the factory F-1 tires. I am in a non-mrc car. It handles like nothing I have ever been in. I've taken turns in that car that have pretty much bodied my passenger, without even a squeak from the tires. This car's handling when done right is unreal.

I say go with the GM parts. They're specifically matched to your car. I can't wait to hit the track this year. Not looking forward to the $$$ spent on tires, but what can you do
Chris_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #22
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SS View Post
I say go with the GM parts. They're specifically matched to your car. I can't wait to hit the track this year. Not looking forward to the $$$ spent on tires, but what can you do

Good point. There's real value in getting something that's specifically engineered for your particular car. The Bilstein covers many 6th gen Camaros, whereas the GM kit is broken down between vert/coupe and V8/V6-T4.

As for the cost of tires, it is the main cost of participating in this sport.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #23
Crush365

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro
Any additional photos of Camaros with the GM lowering kit?
Crush365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #24
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
How’s the ride comfort with the lowering kit?
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #25
Dsavage91

Drives: Chevy Camaro 1SS
Should this kit be ok to use with 19" wheels? I see in the description it says no 18"
Dsavage91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #26
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
Thank you for the review. I am currently using the yyz springs with stock struts and shocks and it’s pogo town with them. Probably doesn’t help that they are five year old suspension parts.

I’m going to swap this in to the car for a complete upgrade until I can get the bilstein upgrade that’s twice the price.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #27
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
How’s the ride comfort with the lowering kit?
Ride comfort is nearly the same with the GM kit. Unlike lowering springs, the GM kits shocks are valves for the shorter shock stroke so the ride characteristics are very good. With a lowered spring in stock shocks, you are already partway through the shock stroke - the main reason lowered cars are thought to be so harsh. With a fully integrated set up, the ride can be pleasant with great performance gains and the aggressive looks that go with it.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:31 AM   #28
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Agree. I just put the GM kit on mine and it’s great. Now I want to get it out to a track. I’ve always built cars more for drag, this will be my first run on a road course. Cant wait.