Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Tweeking the the E-Force (Long Post)

I enjoy fiddling around with my setups and after studying the E-Force setup, I wanted to try a few things to see if I could improve this system. Please note that I've been very happy with my E-Force, but there was a few itches I wanted to scratch.

To get to the improved numbers on the graph below, only the following was done the to E-Force:

1. Down one size on the pulley (3.50 to 3.25")
2. Ported throttle body.
3. Rotofab CAI
4. Ported snout
5. Moved the TMAP.
6. 1/2" Phenolic spacers added
7. Re-tune by Kaizenspeed

And here is the results! Please do not focus too much on the hp numbers themselves, but the overall improvement. The dyno is somewhat a happy dyno, but I wanted to match the improvements run to my baseline run, so all the factors were kept the same, and corrected to STP.

It's a whole different animal on the street now! Throttle management is going to take some practice.

I'm amazed how much of an improvement these relatively small changes made! Roughly a 100 rwhp and 100 ft. lbs. increase. I'll walk through some of the changes:

Phenolic Spacers

The one non-standard addition was the addition of these 1/2" spacers between the rotor pack and the manifold adapters. My thinking was that the spacers would both add an insulator to lessen engine heat being transferred to the rotor pack (reduced heat soaking) as well as adding some post intercooler volume to reduce surging at high rpm.

And my initial impressions are.....meh. I tried taking before and after measurements of the rotor pack temperatures, but because I went down one size on the pulley there is no way to tell without putting the old pulley on if there was any improvement. I honestly don't think there is much of a temperature savings. As for the added volume, I do notice that the boost curve is smoother, but that can also be partially attributed to moving the TMAP out of the #8 cylinder runner.

I've asked a vendor here on this site to do an independent test on these spacers without all of the variables I introduced. Even so, some 3/4" spacers I cut will be ideal for adding water/meth or NOX injection. Maybe latter.

Snout Porting

This was definitely worth the effort IMHO. Not real proud of my work here, but my wrist just came out of the cast; that's my excuse. Before and after:

TMAP Move

Edelbrock decided to be very conservative in their management of the IATs by placing the TMAP (temp and manifold) sensor right in the runner of the #8 cylinder. While conservative, it results in slower timing recovery and a higher measured IAT due to a direct "view" of the intake valve. Before I would typically see 140* to 150*F IATs on a long pull. I'm now only seeing 120* to 125*F after moving the sensor. About 90* to 105*F just cruising around town. To the left in these pictures, you can see the original mount point.

And as an added improvement, I ditched the Edelbrock coolant tank and went with this setup which is a generic version of the Maggie setup. So much easier to fill and purge.

Pretty happy with this improvement. There is a lot more available in power, but I'm stopping here. I've kinda stepped over the power line IMHO in that I'm at the point that I should do a piston replacement, much needed tire upgrade, and a drivetrain upgrade. But for a daily driver, I should get some good life at this power level if I stay smart on how I drive it.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 05-06-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
steelheadrob
Tactical Garage

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Nice gains Ed. It must feel like a new car. Congrats.
steelheadrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Wow, Ed! Fantastic write up. Where did you relocate the TMAP to? Did I miss that?
Also are you not running out of fuel now??

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves1SS View Post
Wow, Ed! Fantastic write up. Where did you relocate the TMAP to? Did I miss that?
Also are you not running out of fuel now??
Thanks Dave!

The TMAP was remounted in between the two runners, right in front of the #8 cylinder. If you look closely at the picture with the TMAP sensor showing, the original mounting location can be seen to the left, in the runner. I plugged the original mounting holes with bolts and cut them down with the die grinder. Got rid of the nub that was there also.

As for fuel, this will be controversial. The short answer is no, we didn't run out of fuel with the LT1 HPFP and/or injectors. We did add in a ZL1 in-tank fuel pump and I forgot to add this to my upgrade list. Both the tuners and I were surprised that we could push the system this far. The dyno run posted above was the banzai run, really to see if the fuel system would hold up. We pulled back 1.5 degrees of timing on the final tune, just to be safe. We did many full pulls in mexico to confirm the fueling held, and it did. I logged some 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear full pulls yesterday to again verify the fuel was still there, and it was.

One thing I did is modify the desired max pressure table in the FSCM and the ECM to ensure that I was getting best use of the ZL1 in-tank pump to push fuel to the HPFP. I also upped the "normal" requested fuel pressure from 42 psi to 51 psi. The ZL1 pump held firm at 55 psi even at the top of the pulls. Here's the modified max desired pressure table from the FSCM:

I think I got lucky with this HPFP. I doubt that we could get this much fuel out of another HPFP.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 05-07-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadrob View Post
Nice gains Ed. It must feel like a new car. Congrats.
Thanks! 1st gear is almost worthless now. New wheels and tires sitting in the boxes. Time to get them mounted!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Nice work with great gains Ed!
I'm sure your inlet work has helped along with getting that fill point above top of the coolers.
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
Atomic Ed

Thanks Mike! Gotta love these Eaton 2300's on a daily driver.

These PDs seem to be the best match for a DD, given how flat the torque curves are. Having 500+ ft. lbs. torque just off idle makes this car a real joy to just go bang around in...well, other than the lack of tire hook up.

And like you found out, the stock exhaust is fine up to this power level.

The swap-over to the Maggie style coolant tank and location makes it so easy to fill and purge. Should have done this sooner. Now pulling the rotor pack is a piece of cake.

I'm still having a hard time believing that the fuel system is holding up, but I can't seem to prove myself wrong. Even 20 sec WOT pulls showed no decay of either the HPFP or LPFP pressures. I would really appreciate your feedback on this.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Thanks Mike! Gotta love these Eaton 2300's on a daily driver.

These PDs seem to be the best match for a DD, given how flat the torque curves are. Having 500+ ft. lbs. torque just off idle makes this car a real joy to just go bang around in...well, other than the lack of tire hook up.

And like you found out, the stock exhaust is fine up to this power level.

The swap-over to the Maggie style coolant tank and location makes it so easy to fill and purge. Should have done this sooner. Now pulling the rotor pack is a piece of cake.

I'm still having a hard time believing that the fuel system is holding up, but I can't seem to prove myself wrong. Even 20 sec WOT pulls showed no decay of either the HPFP or LPFP pressures. I would really appreciate your feedback on this.
Nice Work, What is your High pressure looking like and what is your injector pulse width high point?

Can you post a log?

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
Atomic Ed

Thanks Ted for looking into this.

I haven't logged injector pulse width yet, so it will be a few days before I can get out and do this. I did ask the tuners if they fiddled with SOI/EOI settings and they said no. They won't do that on a street driven car.

What kind of log would you like me to post? Just a graph?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Looks good. I love seeing guys doing their own mods. Maybe next mod can a larger throttle body and maybe a 5 inch intake. I would like to see how much power you pick up with those mods.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Thanks Ted for looking into this.

I haven't logged injector pulse width yet, so it will be a few days before I can get out and do this. I did ask the tuners if they fiddled with SOI/EOI settings and they said no. They won't do that on a street driven car.

What kind of log would you like me to post? Just a graph?
You need to log injector pulse width, High pressure pump fuel pressure, and low pressure pump fuel pressure.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_RORO View Post
Looks good. I love seeing guys doing their own mods. Maybe next mod can a larger throttle body and maybe a 5 inch intake. I would like to see how much power you pick up with those mods.
I'm sure a larger throttle body would help a lot. And I'm at the point where headers would also make a significant difference.

But, at this point, I don't see me going any further with power mods. In my opinion, I'm at the ragged edge (maybe over the edge) of needing pistons and a fuel system upgrade; and then drivetrain upgrades; and suspension upgrades; and..... I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole, which I've been down several times in the past and wound up with vehicles that weren't fun to drive anymore. Balance is what I'm looking for.

The only thing I might consider is a low level water/meth injection to combat the thermal stress on the pistons. That's why I have cut some 3/4" spacers. I have an idea about adding the injection points right above the intake runners.

But if you step back a consider what I have here; a 600+ rwhp daily driver, that will keep me smiling for a long time.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You need to log injector pulse width, High pressure pump fuel pressure, and low pressure pump fuel pressure.

Ted.

Will do.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
I'm sure a larger throttle body would help a lot. And I'm at the point where headers would also make a significant difference.

But, at this point, I don't see me going any further with power mods. In my opinion, I'm at the ragged edge (maybe over the edge) of needing pistons and a fuel system upgrade; and then drivetrain upgrades; and suspension upgrades; and..... I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole, which I've been down several times in the past and wound up with vehicles that weren't fun to drive anymore. Balance is what I'm looking for.

The only thing I might consider is a low level water/meth injection to combat the thermal stress on the pistons. That's why I have cut some 3/4" spacers. I have an idea about adding the injection points right above the intake runners.

But if you step back a consider what I have here; a 600+ rwhp daily driver, that will keep me smiling for a long time.
I understand. But you may be underestimating the stock drivetrain. I am on stock trans, driveshaft, diff, and axles with quite a bit more power. Now the pistons and rods may be a problem so I beefed those up some. And honestly headers are one of the things that may/will add power but will be more of a help than a hindrance. Getting those exhaust gasses out will defiantly help. Are you logging DYNCYL?
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote