Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
First Track Day +/-

Participated in a track day with 2018 1LE at Palm Beach International Raceway in Miami area. First time with the car and at this track, but I've got a couple thousand.

Basic track and seemingly easy to learn.

The car handled beautifully and was impressed at the brakes...although I'm easy on that pedal.

Engine...bummer - 10 minutes into the session and misfires with resultant power loss. It would come and go and finally flashing CE light so exited the track.

Nothing was remotely near red (250 oil, 240 trans, no change to coolant, etc.). Tires were yellow...but unlikely an issue.

Oil was full (fresh) and tank was 3/4's.

Left the track and topped up the tank. Back to the next session...same deal...gave it a couple of laps and called it a day after 37 track miles.

Drove 6 hour round trip for an SCCA Track Night - marginal return on investment (60 mins on track), but 37 miles was less than expected with only 40 odd minutes due to the engine discrepancy.

Admittedly, I've noticed this on the street on occasion - difficult to tell if it was just an LT1-ism or it actually a fault. (not on the throttle long enough to really confirm). Obviously PBIR has a healthy straightaway with 140 mph end speeds...I was down to 115 when I called it a night.

I have a dealer appt next week to see what is up.

I still like the car! Only got passed in the Intermediate group by a Lambo Aventador that was well driven...I'm ok with that.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
What settings were you running on the PTM?

The "Dry" setting really cut the ignition the time I used it on my first session of my first track day.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
Tim M

I elected Track with both TC and Anti-slip (?) in off. Possibly with everything off, but not sure it was really off.

The power loss was all accel areas...corner exits and down the straights...to the tune of 30 mph loss. Car has a fault...
Old 09-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Hope it's just a coil/wire.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Tim M

Coil/wire: is that common issue on LT1's?

Couple of other notes:

only one upshift and one downshift per lap...nearly entire track was in 3rd gear. I'd prefer to stir the stick a bit more...

It is an OEM alignment-front tires chunked a bit on the outer shoulder. It understeered a bit although they were constant radius corners - some nearly 270 degrees! Was able to oversteer on corner exits - car to me was very forgiving for my ineptitude!

Had a small brake fire when I pulled off the track quicker than I liked (CE light flashing). Hadn't had that happen before...just debris.

4.9 mpg...
Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Coil/wire: is that common issue on LT1's?

Couple of other notes:

only one upshift and one downshift per lap...nearly entire track was in 3rd gear. I'd prefer to stir the stick a bit more...

It is an OEM alignment-front tires chunked a bit on the outer shoulder. It understeered a bit although they were constant radius corners - some nearly 270 degrees! Was able to oversteer on corner exits - car to me was very forgiving for my ineptitude!

Had a small brake fire when I pulled off the track quicker than I liked (CE light flashing). Hadn't had that happen before...just debris.

4.9 mpg...
I highly suggest getting the track alignment. Will not only save the outsides of the front tires but will also make the car much more neutral instead of understeering. Have you done the other track prep maintenance as well? I.e., DOT4 brake fluid, 5W40 oil, and diff fluid changes per the manual? I'd suggest doing all of those if they haven't been done already as well.

For the TC mode question, what were the specific button presses you did? All systems off is done by pushing and holding the button for 5 seconds, just pushing the button once will just turn traction control off, pushing the TC button twice in Sport mode will put the car into competitive mode, and pushing the TC button twice in Track mode will put the car into PTM. In PTM, you'll have a menu on the dash ranging from wet to race, with each of them having different levels of TC and ESC intervention. In the lower PTM modes, such as wet or dry, there very well could be TC intervention all over the track but it shouldn't cause the check engine light to come on.

As for the flashing CE (symptoms you listed with this sound like you're misfiring), have you pulled any of the codes yet? I'm also assuming your engine is stock and not tuned or running bolt on's or anything like that? Running 91+ octane fuel? Where is the fuel coming from? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to rule out fuel quality or a bolt-on or tune being the cause

I'm personally not aware of any "common" failures of the wires/coils that cause it, but there also seem to be people having random issues with these engines on the forum. I'd suggest skimming through the V8 and issues/warranty sections to see if you can find any others that have this issue as well (since it could also happen to a non-1LE SS). Or, better yet, hopefully the dealer is able to find something for you and it's an easy fix!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
I elected Track with both TC and Anti-slip (?) in off. Possibly with everything off, but not sure it was really off.

The power loss was all accel areas...corner exits and down the straights...to the tune of 30 mph loss. Car has a fault...
Yeah that's not at all normal. My car sees about 140 at Sebring every lap and I've never experienced that.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
That sucks and never heard that issue before. Do you have any mods? Is it showing any codes? I have a 8 track days, 4 on tracks that are 140+ mph, no issues.
+1 on the track alignment, big difference on track plus no telling what the alignment was from the factory.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I read a few threads where guys would keep their foot on the clutch pedal and it causes issue similar to what you are describing. Not sure they were getting a CEL though. Even the slightest amount of pressure will give you upper RPM issues.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Boost Creep

Another possibility for lack of power/miss-fire and a MIL could be a lifter issue.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Tim M

Car has 3300 miles and is completely OEM off the showroom floor except the fluids. Haven't touched the brake fluid.

I'm confident it wasn't the clutch pedal...pretty good about using the dead pedal to hold me in the seat.

I've felt it before on the street (barely) on an on ramp acceleration. I hope it isn't a lifter!

The car didn't use any oil...only 37 miles so didn't expect much.

I've got an appt on Friday with the dealer...likely I should pursue my own software (dislike dealerships in general). May see how the PDR Valet mode works...may not want to know what they do though...

Drive mode: Track with the traction control button pushed for 5+ seconds so both dash lights illuminate. That was it. I've heard some is still on, but I couldn't tell.

Alignment: agree on the track setup. The tires aren't badly worn...I'd like to see them last a few commute miles too. Will rotate/clean tires tomorrow.

Another point is with just a driver and both windows fully down, the helmet buffeting is pretty incredible. (two folks it was minimal) I've noticed that on the street - driverside window full down only - the pressure reverberations is something terrible.

Lastly, the rear seat flopped down (likely I didn't latch it properly) and then the right knee 'pad' along the console popped off and fell into my lap at speed. Bit discerning!

Thanks for the responses! The only silver lining to this is after the repair (whatever it is), I will have to take it on track again! This was a bit of a shakedown before possibly shipping it to Germany...:-)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Car has 3300 miles and is completely OEM off the showroom floor except the fluids. Haven't touched the brake fluid.

I'm confident it wasn't the clutch pedal...pretty good about using the dead pedal to hold me in the seat.

I've felt it before on the street (barely) on an on ramp acceleration. I hope it isn't a lifter!

The car didn't use any oil...only 37 miles so didn't expect much.

I've got an appt on Friday with the dealer...likely I should pursue my own software (dislike dealerships in general). May see how the PDR Valet mode works...may not want to know what they do though...

Drive mode: Track with the traction control button pushed for 5+ seconds so both dash lights illuminate. That was it. I've heard some is still on, but I couldn't tell.

Alignment: agree on the track setup. The tires aren't badly worn...I'd like to see them last a few commute miles too. Will rotate/clean tires tomorrow.

Another point is with just a driver and both windows fully down, the helmet buffeting is pretty incredible. (two folks it was minimal) I've noticed that on the street - driverside window full down only - the pressure reverberations is something terrible.

Lastly, the rear seat flopped down (likely I didn't latch it properly) and then the right knee 'pad' along the console popped off and fell into my lap at speed. Bit discerning!

Thanks for the responses! The only silver lining to this is after the repair (whatever it is), I will have to take it on track again! This was a bit of a shakedown before possibly shipping it to Germany...:-)
Ferman in Brandon/East Tampa has been good to me. Also, one of their salesguys is on here and has had a couple 1LE's and tracks regularly. Just in case you want a different dealer.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
For sure let the dealer check it out if it's stock. So no codes are being thrown or nothing on the PDR data.

If your're going to track it, put in SRF brake fluid as it's the best, but expensive. I' don't drive mine on the street much, just to the track and on track so I had no issues with track alignment wear. The worst wear issue was tracking it one time without the track alignment.

I haven't tracked mine with everything off yet, but doesn't seem like it would be the cause.

I haven't noticed buffeting with the helmet on at all even at 140. The PDR mic does pick it up though. Same here with the drivers knee pad POS, mine popped off on a bumpy track so I always take it off now when I take out the floor mats for track days.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Quote:
I've noticed that on the street - driverside window full down only - the pressure reverberations is something terrible.
Hits right about 60 mph when it happens.