Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
Themarowagon

Drives: Black ss
2016+ Camaro differntial in my 5th gen ss?

Would a 6th gen diff fit on my camaro as 5th gen? The way the diff is build looks like it would support a lot of flexing and I believe that's one of the reasons that the 6 gen Camaro are holding up to so much abuse
Themarowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Why not go with the stout 9.9” diff kit from the 5th gen ZL1 ? Bolts right in and will take serious abuse.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
SecondZ28

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/22959394.html
'87 GN
Old 04-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
LPW covers..... much cheaper way to stiffen the aluminum pumpkin on a gen 5, and wish I could go zl1 rear end...maybe some day... https://www.lpwracing.com/ differentials should not flex the job of flexing is for the suspension which hopefully is upgraded with some better trailing and toes if hot rodded. And since the gen 6 is smaller you could maybe Frankenstein things but why. Your impression of what you think your doing to the suspension and rear? I stay alive with a few choice items for the rear from BMR and LPW. And not hammering it 24/7 lol. Saving abuse for the track with the shock of launching in the 3500 range and "keeping it between the lines" with out rolling burnouts unless desired.... for street missing a little traction as a show of force. Basically the less you hammer stock axles and rear before upgrading it the better as stock trailing arms and toes are just stamped steel prone to flex with rubber bushings.......prone to flex. And who says newer sixth gens are holding to so much abuse..they are designed by our designers and face the same problems our Camaro gen 5 had to overcome. Simma Down now..... its still just IRS. And still can be improved apon by aftermarket.

Last edited by christianchevell; 04-01-2018 at 08:13 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
TintcoatTrooper

Drives: '10 RJT 2ss *RIP* '13 CRT 1ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Why not go with the stout 9.9” diff kit from the 5th gen ZL1 ? Bolts right in and will take serious abuse.
I thought you need the whole ZL1 rear cradle to run the diff
TintcoatTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
SecondZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TintcoatTrooper View Post
I thought you need the whole ZL1 rear cradle to run the diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusn63@yahoo.com View Post
I have a zl1 drivetrain and the only parts needed were a trans flange and all new bolts. The rear , halfshafts, and driveshaft all bolt in. You don't need a cradle. You will need to move the exhaust a little as the rear is larger.
'87 GN
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Themarowagon

Yeah I had look at it before. It seems like my best options since is a direct fit. But was just curious to see if the 6th gen diff would fit my 5th gen. If it would it would be cheaper and lighter than the zl1 drivetrain
Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
Themarowagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
LPW covers..... much cheaper way to stiffen the aluminum pumpkin on a gen 5, and wish I could go zl1 rear end...maybe some day... https://www.lpwracing.com/ differentials should not flex the job of flexing is for the suspension which hopefully is upgraded with some better trailing and toes if hot rodded. And since the gen 6 is smaller you could maybe Frankenstein things but why. Your impression of what you think your doing to the suspension and rear? I stay alive with a few choice items for the rear from BMR and LPW. And not hammering it 24/7 lol. Saving abuse for the track with the shock of launching in the 3500 range and "keeping it between the lines" with out rolling burnouts unless desired.... for street missing a little traction as a show of force. Basically the less you hammer stock axles and rear before upgrading it the better as stock trailing arms and toes are just stamped steel prone to flex with rubber bushings.......prone to flex. And who says newer sixth gens are holding to so much abuse..they are designed by our designers and face the same problems our Camaro gen 5 had to overcome. Simma Down now..... its still just IRS. And still can be improved apon by aftermarket.
The diffs do flex. I've seen sixth gens with 700 whp holding up their stock diff with no problems. The first thing they break on them are either axles or driveshaft. Anyway I was just asking a simple question if it would fit.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Themarowagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Bcuz I want the IRS. But I think i found a solution. The reason I don't want to zl1 drivetrain is Cruz its heavy. But I found out if I put the z28 spindle gears and remove the spider gears my ss has it would help support extra power. And it would also will help put everything to the ground. I seen z28 put down 650 whp with no problem. I guess that will be my right for now than if things break I will either switch to the zl1 one

Tags
differntial, manual, swap