Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #85
drago1217

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Sounds good. Congrats. Soon.....very soon lol. Need a couple other supporting mods before i place my order
drago1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #86
Smoky

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Any Dyno charts available on you VVT cams? Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #87
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
search on here...all of us have posted them.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #88
Smoky

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Tried the search but the result was not stellar. Just though it would be nice to see them in this active thread side by side. For those of us still on the fence as to which VVT choice. Perhaps Rhino has some good comparisons all run on the same dyno. More inline with designed performance levels not individual packages in unique circumstance. Seeing the torque/hp curves side by side in a direct comparison would be stellar and priceless.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #89
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
my graph is on a blown car...may not be what you are looking for but the ss3 in mine is tweaked for FI. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=110whp+gain
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #90
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Sounds pretty damn good if you ask me lol congrats bud!
Yeah, it's a touch lumper than I thought it might be, but I'll get idle turned up, and the turbos will likely help too. Gets lots of attention though. It stalls here and there, but that will go away with a good tune and higher idle. Can't wait to tune it in a few weeks just to see what it does n/a.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #91
porkbuddy3

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange
Just got my SS3 put in with slp 2300. Dyno next Tuesday with Rhino tune. Looking forward for some sweet numbers.
porkbuddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #92
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkbuddy3 View Post
Just got my SS3 put in with slp 2300. Dyno next Tuesday with Rhino tune. Looking forward for some sweet numbers.
VVT SS3? Or ls3 SS3? Should make some GOOD power!
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #93
porkbuddy3

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange
VVT
porkbuddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #94
Hy82e

Drives: 1982 Buick Regal 6.2 swap
Subscribing

Sup fellas, I'm not a camaro owner but I did just switch my build from a 6.0 block/Ls3 top end to a 6.2 L92. For those not in the know thats the ugly twin sis of the L99 (non-afm). So lot of info here hope ya'll don't mind me lurking around.

Anyhow I bought an EPS cam non-vvt (that never got installed) for my 6.0. Talking to Geoff at eps about my motor change he says my current cam will still work and even edge to the side of better.

But time has past and vvt is becoming a proven technology so I'm researching my options.
My first step was to contact GPI. The vvt ss3 was the recommendation I received along with some other good info. I still have more homework to do, but I figured I should bring it to the thread and we can all share the knowledge. And help GPI from answering the same Q's over and over.... and over I'm sure.

So my question for this post will be on lobes. One of the things that sold me on EPS is that they advertise there lobe design to provide a low stress valvetrain. Reducing maintenance and increasing life and durability.

How aggressive are the lobes used on the ss3? What kind of maintenance and life expectancy can be expected realistically. And how is it in comparison to the ss2?
Hy82e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #95
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hy82e View Post
Subscribing

Sup fellas, I'm not a camaro owner but I did just switch my build from a 6.0 block/Ls3 top end to a 6.2 L92. For those not in the know thats the ugly twin sis of the L99 (non-afm). So lot of info here hope ya'll don't mind me lurking around.

Anyhow I bought an EPS cam non-vvt (that never got installed) for my 6.0. Talking to Geoff at eps about my motor change he says my current cam will still work and even edge to the side of better.

But time has past and vvt is becoming a proven technology so I'm researching my options.
My first step was to contact GPI. The vvt ss3 was the recommendation I received along with some other good info. I still have more homework to do, but I figured I should bring it to the thread and we can all share the knowledge. And help GPI from answering the same Q's over and over.... and over I'm sure.

So my question for this post will be on lobes. One of the things that sold me on EPS is that they advertise there lobe design to provide a low stress valvetrain. Reducing maintenance and increasing life and durability.

How aggressive are the lobes used on the ss3? What kind of maintenance and life expectancy can be expected realistically. And how is it in comparison to the ss2?
Noticed your in DFW, I am going with GPI's VVT cam well I already have it just not installed yet. Send Ryan a PM for faster replies he has been doing a few big projects and misses a few questions on here and good luck on what you end up going with. Personally I agree with you also about VVT taking over
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 AM   #96
Hy82e

Drives: 1982 Buick Regal 6.2 swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Noticed your in DFW, I am going with GPI's VVT cam well I already have it just not installed yet. Send Ryan a PM for faster replies he has been doing a few big projects and misses a few questions on here and good luck on what you end up going with. Personally I agree with you also about VVT taking over
I have noticed you where a local guy too. Good luck with your mods I'll be looking out for the results. Did you get the SS4 or you have a custom grind?
You find someone around here (dfw) to do your flycutting? The cam I'm looking at doesn't require it, but I may do some work to bump compression up some so I might be looking for someone also.
I have exchanged some emails with Ryan. He was quick on the replies and gave me some good info. Might as well bring some of that info to this thread if possible. I have plenty of time before I'm ready for a cam anyways. Too much time unfortunately.
Hy82e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #97
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Really all of our VVT and Standard LS cams we sell are custom grinds. I change some of the specs around to fit the bill for what each customer is looking for, especially in the idle quality department.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #98
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hy82e View Post
I have noticed you where a local guy too. Good luck with your mods I'll be looking out for the results. Did you get the SS4 or you have a custom grind?
You find someone around here (dfw) to do your flycutting? The cam I'm looking at doesn't require it, but I may do some work to bump compression up some so I might be looking for someone also.
I have exchanged some emails with Ryan. He was quick on the replies and gave me some good info. Might as well bring some of that info to this thread if possible. I have plenty of time before I'm ready for a cam anyways. Too much time unfortunately.
I will be running the SS4 VVT, and no one in DFW wants to touch my car anymore for the reason that I wanna keep the VVT and needing to fly cut they do not want to be responsible for the outcome. I don't blame them for it the 2 people I use are still on my top list of builders and tuners in DFW but Ryan was given me a deal and will be making the trip out to GPI once I'm ready!