Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Rainfarer

Drives: Camaro RS 2016
[SOLVED] 2016 RS 8L45 hard downshifts on 5th

Hi

I've had my 2016 Camaro V6' transmission rebuilt. There was some issues with valve body that I managed to eliminate, but now I'm facing one annoying thing that is left - hard downshifts, mostly in 2 scenarios: 8-6/5 (applying light throttle after going a while on throttle fully closed), 6/7-5 on applying 50-75% throttle after going steady on 10-20% throttle for a while. All the upshifts are pretty much great in all scenarios, downshifts to 1-2-3 is great and nearly instant, downshifts to 4th can take a while in certain scenarios when tranny thinks for a bit and drops another gear befor picking up the correct one. But pretty much all downshifts to 5th are bumpy and kicky.

I'm digging through forums now, but it seems that all similar scenarios are tied to mods, engine malfunctions and transmission hardware failures. The engine is nearly perfect, with no mods except for the downpipe on the car

Does anyone have a success story of performing a fast relearn in a similar scenario? Or other info on the topic?

Thank you

UPDATE: The issue was in a pretty stupid place - I have a double-circuit exhaust and circuit selection is performed via a remote-controlled vacuum-powered gate. The guys that did a trans rebuild forgot to connect the vacuum line to the solenoid and the engine was basically working with reduced power. They did a relearn procedure with this setup and you can guess the rest of it. I performed a trans relearn and now all the shifts are smooth and there are no scenarios when the trans is looking for a proper gear, it engages the proper gear the first time it needs to switch

Last edited by Rainfarer; 05-28-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Rainfarer is offline   Reply With Quote