Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #1

Drives: Camaro
Cooling/radiator

I have a base 4cyl car and it's starting to get hotter as I improve the power. Does the heavy duty cooling on the 1LE have a bigger radiator? Will the 6cylinder or V8 radiator fit and add capacity?

Kurt
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I have a base 4cyl car and it's starting to get hotter as I improve the power. Does the heavy duty cooling on the 1LE have a bigger radiator? Will the 6cylinder or V8 radiator fit and add capacity?

Kurt
No, it's not a bigger radiator, the Chevy HD Cooling package is just 3 radiators. 1 main one and 2 smaller ones on each side. I highly doubt a V6 or SS will fit in the stock 2.0T location because of how it's sandwiched in there with the intercooler. Not sure how big of a nightmare it is to add this to your current base set up. I sort of remember reading in here that it was a pain in the ass. You might have to replace the main radiator for the 2 smaller ones to fit onto it. Not sure if the base model radiator has the hook up's available. Also, there are all of the plastic housing's and the break ducts installed with this. You might have to order those as well.

Mishimoto sells the 2 smaller ancillary radiators for the HD Cooling set up.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevy-cama...tors-2016.html

Looks like you would have to order the "lower hoses" from GM though. I don't see any after market lower HD Cooling hoses for the 2.0T, just for the V6. I highly doubt they will match up to the 2.0T. I'm not sure if someone on here can confirm this?

It looks like you already got the Mishimoto Intercooler. Maybe add their Oil Cooler as well for additional cooling.

I posted the only picture I have of my car with the front bumper removed so you can see it all.
Attached Images

RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 04-25-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:32 PM   #3

So the factory side radiators feed directly into the factory radiator? My car has some small side ducts that are blocked off, maybe those opening are used when the side radiators are added? Is your car a 4 cylinder with HD cooling? Thanks for your help.

Kurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
No, it's not a bigger radiator, the Chevy HD Cooling package is just 3 radiators. 1 main one and 2 smaller ones on each side. I highly doubt a V6 or SS will fit in the stock 2.0T location because of how it's sandwiched in there with the intercooler. Not sure how big of a nightmare it is to add this to your current base set up. I sort of remember reading in here that it was a pain in the ass. You might have to replace the main radiator for the 2 smaller ones to fit onto it. Not sure if the base model radiator has the hook up's available. Also, there are all of the plastic housing's and the break ducts installed with this. You might have to order those as well.

Mishimoto sells the 2 smaller ancillary radiators for the HD Cooling set up.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevy-cama...tors-2016.html

Looks like you would have to order the "lower hoses" from GM though. I don't see any after market lower HD Cooling hoses for the 2.0T, just for the V6. I highly doubt they will match up to the 2.0T. I'm not sure if someone on here can confirm this?

It looks like you already got the Mishimoto Intercooler. Maybe add their Oil Cooler as well for additional cooling.

I posted the only picture I have of my car with the front bumper removed so you can see it all.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #4
Start The Machine

Quote:
So the factory side radiators feed directly into the factory radiator? My car has some small side ducts that are blocked off, maybe those opening are used when the side radiators are added? Is your car a 4 cylinder with HD cooling? Thanks for your help.

Kurt
Interesting that you see blocked off ports. I'm not sure if you can remove them?

Yes, I have the HD Cooling package on my 4 cylinder.
Yes, the side radiators connect to the main radiator.

Also, I miss spoke about the hoses, Mishimoto dose sell the HD Cooling package hoses for the 2.0T 4 cylinder. It's the upper and lower hoses to connect all of it together.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...-kit-2016.html
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 05-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #5

Those Mishimoto parts look interesting, but the ducting looks confusing on the GM parts side. If your car is factory heavy duty cooling with 4 cylinder could i get the last 8 numbers of your vin? You have the same front fascia as the base car? Do your inner fender liners have vents in them? I think it might have been a ZL1 I seen with the vents, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking about adding this on my car for the added cooling.

Kurt
Quote:
Interesting that you see blocked off ports. I'm not sure if you can remove them?

Yes, I have the HD Cooling package on my 4 cylinder.
Yes, the side radiators connect to the main radiator.

Also, I miss spoke about the hoses, Mishimoto dose sell the HD Cooling package hoses for the 2.0T 4 cylinder. It's the upper and lower hoses to connect all of it together.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...-kit-2016.html
Old 05-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #6
Start The Machine

Quote:
Those Mishimoto parts look interesting, but the ducting looks confusing on the GM parts side. If your car is factory heavy duty cooling with 4 cylinder could i get the last 8 numbers of your vin? You have the same front fascia as the base car? Do your inner fender liners have vents in them? I think it might have been a ZL1 I seen with the vents, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking about adding this on my car for the added cooling.

Kurt
The GM HD Cooling package is a factory installed option when the car is ordered.

My vin# is: 1G1FA1RX0G01609621LE

*To funny! I always thought my car looked lower than others and how it handles like it's on rails. I also wondered about my gloss black suspension components and the beefy looking sway bars. I just ran the vin# for fun to see what it say, and sure enough, my car has the SPP TRACK PERFORMANCE PACKAGE on the build sheet! I guess my suspicions were correct this whole time.

Yes, all of the 2.0T/V6's have the same base front fascia. I replaced the stock front fascia grill with the GM SEMA grill. The base front fascia has nothing to do with anything.

Yes, my fender liner has the brake vents in them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Start The Machine; 05-05-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #7

Thanks for the vin, that will make getting parts easier!
You think those vents are for the brakes, I thought they might be exits for the air passing the small radiators. I'm changing pistons/rods in my engine now and adding a bigger turbo and likely a clutch upgrade. I run my car in a open road race in Texas where I basically hold it wide open for 24 minutes, the trans was overheating so I added a cooler for that and the engine has been running over 200 the whole run. I'm thinking the added power will increase my MPH and gain some heat! IAdding the two little radiators now might be a good thing.

Kurt
Quote:
The GM HD Cooling package is a factory installed option when the car is ordered.

My vin# is: 1G1FA1RX0G01609621LE

*To funny! I always thought my car looked lower than others and how it handles like it's on rails. I also wondered about my gloss black suspension components and the beefy looking sway bars. I just ran the vin# for fun to see what it say, and sure enough, my car has the SPP TRACK PERFORMANCE PACKAGE on the build sheet! I guess my suspicions were correct this whole time.

Yes, all of the 2.0T/V6's have the same base front fascia. I replaced the stock front fascia grill with the GM SEMA grill. The base front fascia has nothing to do with anything.

Yes, my fender liner has the brake vents in them.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #8
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Drives: i want a camaro
may I chime in, when I ordered my car with the heavy duty cooling package with the 20 in wheels (without going into RS), it did not come with auxiliary radiators, I think only with the oil cooler(if that) and I heavily researched the vehicle, before I pulled the trigger, but when i saw it, it had a regular fender liner

also, here are the window stickers for 2021 and 2022 cars that I "ordered"
D.O.M.D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
D.O.M.D1 doesn't even have a Camaro... waste of people's time. (been looking to buy one for over 5 years) Not even sure why he is even posting on this forum or trying to give advice
Old 05-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #10
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
D.O.M.D1 doesn't even have a Camaro... waste of people's time. (been looking to buy one for over 5 years) Not even sure why he is even posting on this forum or trying to give advice