Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
sevron

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 RS
Ceramic coating for a daily driver, non-garage kept '23?

I'm looking at getting a ceramic coating done as my '23 LT1 is a daily driver for me and I do not have a garage. Right now I'm washing it almost weekly.

Would ceramic coating be something I should invest in given my situation? From what I understand, once I ceramic coat the car, all I really need to do is rinse it whenever, and after a few months get a new ceramic coating on it.

Or am I over simplifying that?

Anyone know any good ceramic coaters/detailers in the NC area?
sevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
eldersCAMARO
CamaroLove

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Shark Skin
I've looked into youtube on this. if your ceramic coating gets wet and not dried off almost instantly the minerals will dry and work its way into the layer leaving water spots.

Just youtube water spots on ceramic coating.
eldersCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
It's way easier to wash a car, so I would say yes, go for it. Water spots are not worse than untreated.
Ceramic coating cannot get wet for the first day or two, preferably 4-5. After that its hard and ready to rock.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersCAMARO View Post
I've looked into youtube on this. if your ceramic coating gets wet and not dried off almost instantly the minerals will dry and work its way into the layer leaving water spots.

Just youtube water spots on ceramic coating.
Graphene coatings are supposed to alleviate some of the water spotting issues you can see with ceramic coatings. I put graphene coatings on both the wife's Saturn Sky and my Camaro, even though they're both garage kept and not daily drivers. I just like the other properties the coatings have over a traditional wax or sealant.

I will be putting the same graphene coating (Adam's Advanced) on the 2019 Fiesta ST I picked up back in January. Just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can give it a proper polish/paint correction and full detail before installing the coating. This is my daily driver, and is stored outside, so we'll see if the claims of graphene coatings being less prone to water spotting are true.

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:01 PM   #5
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I've got 303 Graphine spray on my GMC and the Camaro. I used it on my F150 and it was holding up at the time I traded it. The stuff beads water but it's kind of weird that it's not super slippery.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevron View Post
I'm looking at getting a ceramic coating done as my '23 LT1 is a daily driver for me and I do not have a garage. Right now I'm washing it almost weekly.

Would ceramic coating be something I should invest in given my situation? From what I understand, once I ceramic coat the car, all I really need to do is rinse it whenever, and after a few months get a new ceramic coating on it.

Or am I over simplifying that?

Anyone know any good ceramic coaters/detailers in the NC area?
not sure if you are talking about a real coating or just a quick spray ceramic sealant.

Even with a coating you still need to wash the car its not like you can splash it with water and it will be clean. Also you dont get a new coating every few months unless this is something that is a spray version that you can put on after a wash. A true coating will last from 18-36months if you take care of it.
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:49 AM   #7
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Water spots can be a huge issue for ceramic coatings, depending on the climate in your location.

In my area, dew forms regularly. Also it rains a lot in the summer. Water spots were so bad, I had to polish my car to get rid of them (a lot of effort).

Never again.

If you live in a dry area, it might be better.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #8
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I ceramic coated my wheels and the front and rear bumper. I am very happy with the results. I personally wouldn't do the entire car because I do like polishing and waxing the car.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
You were misled by the person who said you only needed to rinse your car after a ceramic coating. You will still need to wash your car even with a ceramic coating. As for how dirty it'll get with ceramic vs. without ceramic, is highly dependent on your environment. In theory, it should be a lot easier to wash & keep clean, with a ceramic coating.

To wash a car with a ceramic coating, you'll see a car wash soap that is pH-neutral. It will say on the bottle that it's safe for all coatings/sealants. Washing a car with an acidic or alkaline soap will break down the ceramic coating at hyper speed. The drive-thru car washes will break down a ceramic coating after just a few washes.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #10
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
You were misled by the person who said you only needed to rinse your car after a ceramic coating. You will still need to wash your car even with a ceramic coating. As for how dirty it'll get with ceramic vs. without ceramic, is highly dependent on your environment. In theory, it should be a lot easier to wash & keep clean, with a ceramic coating.

To wash a car with a ceramic coating, you'll see a car wash soap that is pH-neutral. It will say on the bottle that it's safe for all coatings/sealants. Washing a car with an acidic or alkaline soap will break down the ceramic coating at hyper speed. The drive-thru car washes will break down a ceramic coating after just a few washes.
I don't agree... I used spray ceramic one fall and spray graphene last fall and both held up over the winter going thru auto washes 2 or 3 times a week. Both were beading water at the end of the winter. Well, the F150 was mostly thru the winter. My GMC has 303 Graphine spray on it now.
Summer, I diy wash with the cheapest soap I can find at the time I'm looking. Again, paint and coating do just fine.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:52 AM   #11
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post

You are incorrect as well.
Higher alkaline and acidic washes will have little effect on a proper coating. Thats the whole point of them is to protect the paint from harsh chemicals.
Most coatings will be resistant from 2-13 PH range and most of the harsh washes are around 11-12PH so the coating will have little impact and will not break it down that much faster. now a lower quality one might not be as resistant like some cheap amazon one or something.
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:59 PM   #12
DamonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
You are incorrect as well.
Higher alkaline and acidic washes will have little effect on a proper coating. Thats the whole point of them is to protect the paint from harsh chemicals.
Most coatings will be resistant from 2-13 PH range and most of the harsh washes are around 11-12PH so the coating will have little impact and will not break it down that much faster. now a lower quality one might not be as resistant like some cheap amazon one or something.
I asked in a group of professional detailers. While the ceramic will hope up better than I initially thought, car wash soaps are still hard on any kind of coating. I understand going through a touchless wash in colder weather (I hate washing cars in cold weather myself), you definitely want to stay away from the touch washes unless you don't mind the swirl marks. But any ceramic coating will advise that you use a pH neutral soap, and they recommend it for a reason.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
Old 03-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #13
DamonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
I don't agree... I used spray ceramic one fall and spray graphene last fall and both held up over the winter going thru auto washes 2 or 3 times a week. Both were beading water at the end of the winter. Well, the F150 was mostly thru the winter. My GMC has 303 Graphine spray on it now.
Summer, I diy wash with the cheapest soap I can find at the time I'm looking. Again, paint and coating do just fine.
The car wash is typically going to apply some type of sealant as well. Your hydrophobic properties might be from that, not necessarily the ceramic/graphene coatings. I get decent water-beading for a while after running my daily driver through a car wash. Many store-bought car wash soaps these days are pH neutral these days, even the cheap ones. So keeping your car clean, as you do, will extend the life of any kind of coating.

My Camaro Journal
Old 04-26-2023, 07:16 PM   #14
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I have one car with ceramic professionally applied, one with graphene I did myself, and one car with a spray on ceramic. The spray on is short term and needs reapplied every 3-4 months but it's easy to do. The graphene is easy to apply and I did two coats including rims. Any pro ceramic or graphene coating you still have to wash but they wash easier and the water blows right off. Brake dust also just washes right off. Water spots with coatings lay on top and I have never had a water spot I could not get off after washing. You can always start with the spray on products and if after a year you don't like them have a pro applied ceramic. I would suggest getting front end PPF right now though.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote