Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
How To De-Badge (removal of badges, any car)

I've kept typing this as a reply to threads, especially early on and never got around to actually post up some pictures and what not... Keep in mind that the pictures will be for the SS wing but the technique I used on those is THE same technique on how I remove badges.

edit: Thank you Glen for the suggestions! I am definitely incorporating that into the guide as it is a much more efficient way of doing it!

Approximate time needed: 5 minutes
Person(s) needed: 1

TOOLS/ITEMS NEEDED:
Wax
Goo Gone
Popsicle sticks (updated)
Fishing Line (best) OR Dental Floss (updated)
Paper towels with some water (to clean Goo Gone)
Mechanic gloves (only for holding the fishing line or dental floss, if using fishing line MUST USE GLOVES)
Water (100 ml is enough, 1/5th of a 500ml water bottle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Excellent write up, i would just add two tips:
1. Use two popsicle sticks to wrap the floss around so you make a saw, quicker and easier to use than your hands.
2. If you are at wally world, pick up some of this below for 6 bucks. It cuts much faster than floss and doesn't break, you can saw harder, and that's important on this type of adhesive on the Chevy, it's a tough black VHB tape. B careful, itll cut skin too.
STEP 1: Spray Goo Gone on all 4 sides of the badge you are wanting to remove. Let it sit there for a 2-3 minutes to work it's magic. If you do NOT have a spray bottle Goo Gone, don't fret. Just grab some Q tips and start applying the same way you would with a spray (all 4 sides).

STEP 2: Grab the dental floss / fishing line, cut a good 4 inches longer than the badge you are removing. If you are using dental floss, you will have to get a couple long lines going as it will break. Fishing line will NOT. And do NOT use fishing line WITHOUT gloves. After you wrap each side of the line/floss, slide it under the badge and do a saw cutting motion, left to right and right to left. You WILL see the line going through the adhesive that is behind the badge and see the progress of it.

STEP 3: After you've gone through the back side of the badge with the floss/line, it'll just drop on the ground. You can also simply remove it with your hand when you are close to the end.

STEP 4: IF there are any adhesive residue, just spray/apply some more Goo Gone and take off the rest of the residue.

Before Goo Gone:

After Goo Gone:

STEP 5: After all residue is gone, splash some water and wipe off ALL shiny Goo Gone. Once you do, wax the location where the badge used to be to bring out the shine of the paint and you are good to go!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!

Last edited by Tr6; 02-22-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
1. Use two popsicle sticks to wrap the floss around so you make a saw, quicker and easier to use than your hands.
2. If you are at wally world, pick up some of this below for 6 bucks. It cuts much faster than floss and doesn't break, you can saw harder, and that's important on this type of adhesive on the Chevy, it's a tough black VHB tape. B careful, itll cut skin too.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Thank you and those are fantastic tips! I always have a crap ton of floss around so I just use that but I should go pick those up. I've been using floss to de-badge for years so I got used to em but if I use fishing line, I definitely wear gloves. I'll be hitting up walmart this week anyways and I will pick up one of those you linked. Seems like a hell of a lot efficient way to debadge.

Thank you for the tips Glen!
Build thread HERE!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Very cool write up and tips! Most people are intimidated by doing small little things like this. When it is really easy.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Awesome! What do you plan on doing with the lid? Filling the holes or putting on a blade?
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Very cool write up and tips! Most people are intimidated by doing small little things like this. When it is really easy.
Thank you! I completely agree. Detailing to me is a lot harder than doing stuff like this LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
Awesome! What do you plan on doing with the lid? Filling the holes or putting on a blade?
I have decided to return it since it'll cost me 1k to 1.6k range. Not worth it.
Build thread HERE!
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Thank you! I completely agree. Detailing to me is a lot harder than doing stuff like this LOL.

I have decided to return it since it'll cost me 1k to 1.6k range. Not worth it.
It would be nice if they came out with one that would cover that hole just for the SS. The ends are wide to cover them. They should have just kept it the same the whole way through and wouldn't be an issue.

At least you were able to return it with no problems! Where did you order from Cultrag?
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
It would be nice if they came out with one that would cover that hole just for the SS. The ends are wide to cover them. They should have just kept it the same the whole way through and wouldn't be an issue.

At least you were able to return it with no problems! Where did you order from Cultrag?
Agreed and yeah. I ordered it via Patrick @ Cultrag. He didn't even ask any questions when I said I want to return it especially since he is well aware of the issues as Glen and I kept him in the loop and he knows I will be ordering other stuff from him, like the intake and any other OEM part that I will be needing/interested in.
Build thread HERE!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
obarry13

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Awesome guide! I am going to be removing and painting badges this weekend so this is amazing.

I was wondering if anyone has removed the SS logos from the rear bumper and front grille yet though. I noticed the rear SS had a pad behind the logo. Should you remove the whole thing or just the SS from the pad.

As far as the front logo goes, I know there are two straight pins on the logo, but I didn't know if anyone had any tips on removing it cleanly. Thanks in advance!
obarry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Tr6
The Dogfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by obarry13 View Post
Awesome guide! I am going to be removing and painting badges this weekend so this is amazing.

I was wondering if anyone has removed the SS logos from the rear bumper and front grille yet though. I noticed the rear SS had a pad behind the logo. Should you remove the whole thing or just the SS from the pad.

As far as the front logo goes, I know there are two straight pins on the logo, but I didn't know if anyone had any tips on removing it cleanly. Thanks in advance!
Thank you!

The rear SS badge is literally slapped on with a double sided exterior tape that you can find at any store, if you just follow the guide you will take it off. As for the front, there are a few methods. I haven't done any of them personally which is why I haven't made a how to for it.

Some use a drilling method (where you drill exactly where the clips on the inside of the bowtie is), some use fishling line and goo gone to get the double sided tape off then wiggle and break off the clip ends, some take the entire bumper off to get the upper front grill off and do it. So it really is up to you on how to do it. To get it off WITHOUT breaking, I would STRONGLY recommend that you take off the bumper and do it which adds a lot more time and effort into.

Also, for the front bowtie make sure you have a interior trim removal set so you don't use a flathead screw driver or anything that will scratch the hell out of the grill that the front bowtie sits on when you pry it off. You can get an entire trim removal set from amazon for like 10 bucks which you can use in the future too so it's nice having it in the garage.
Build thread HERE!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
obarry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Thank you!

The rear SS badge is literally slapped on with a double sided exterior tape that you can find at any store, if you just follow the guide you will take it off. As for the front, there are a few methods. I haven't done any of them personally which is why I haven't made a how to for it.

Some use a drilling method (where you drill exactly where the clips on the inside of the bowtie is), some use fishling line and goo gone to get the double sided tape off then wiggle and break off the clip ends, some take the entire bumper off to get the upper front grill off and do it. So it really is up to you on how to do it. To get it off WITHOUT breaking, I would STRONGLY recommend that you take off the bumper and do it which adds a lot more time and effort into.

Also, for the front bowtie make sure you have a interior trim removal set so you don't use a flathead screw driver or anything that will scratch the hell out of the grill that the front bowtie sits on when you pry it off. You can get an entire trim removal set from amazon for like 10 bucks which you can use in the future too so it's nice having it in the garage.
Thanks for the info. I am not replacing the front bowtie thankfully since it is the Glowtie and I already put Vinyl on it. The real question was the SS logo on the front grille and not the chevy logo
Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The front SS logo AND ITS BASE, easily snap disconnect from the grille, leaving the grill nice and clean. Get the trim tools from amazon, a flashlight, some WD40 and look closley- unsnaps in 10 secs....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
obarry13

Quote:
The front SS logo AND ITS BASE, easily snap disconnect from the grille, leaving the grill nice and clean. Get the trim tools from amazon, a flashlight, some WD40 and look closley- unsnaps in 10 secs....
That is what I was thinking. When you wiggle the logo the whole piece moves so I was thinking a section snaps on and off right from the grille I just didn't want to test that theory out and snap something haha.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
MostlyHarmless

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
Glen (or anyone)

With the Ice Braid is there any chance of damaging the paint on the car? Or is it completely safe to hack away at the badges with it?

I am keen to remove my own logos but if there is a skill/technique then my Camaro would be an expensive place to make my first mistake

Thanks

Mark
MostlyHarmless is offline   Reply With Quote