Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #1
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Theft Deterrent/Tire Pressure/Service Air Bag Dashboard Messages

I have had several instances over the past month now where at around town speeds (25-45 MPH) where I have gone to put light to moderate pressure on the brake pedal that I will get different alert messages on the dash board.

I initially had 2 Service Air Bag messages when I went to press the brake pedal down and downshift from 3rd to 2nd. The first time a car stopped suddenly right in front of me, even though we had the right of way on the interstate on-ramp, and the second time no traffic was around me and I was lighter on the brake pedal and got the same messages but both times I hit the Select button on the right had side of the steering wheel and it cleared the message.

This morning going to work was the worst yet though. I was in 2nd gear at 30MPH and let the car hover at 3K RPM and I let off the accelerator to let some engine braking kick in before I had to downshift into first for a left hand red light turn that I was taking my time to get to and all of a sudden, all the needles on all the analog gauges went to zero and the car seemingly went into a limp-like mode and I got a message on the dashboard about Theft Deterrent System with what looked like a screaming human head lit up in red in the speedometer that I hit the Select button again to clear and then a split second right behind that, a Tire Pressure Monitor message came up and the orange exclamation point came on indicating I had low tire pressure but before I could push Select to clear the tire pressure message, the Service Air Bag message came up and I was able to clear that and the car came back to life like nothing ever happened.

I always check my gauges when I leave my house and nothing was a miss on any gauge and every digital gauge in the dash cluster was still fine after the alert messages on the dashboard along with the analog gauges.

My car is bone stock with 46K miles, minus the OEM consumables I have replaced for track days, and has always been serviced by a local GM dealership.

Are the problems I have described above something a dealer has had to code out or reflash the ECU for? Possibly some kind of over-the-air update messed something up? etc.

My biggest fear is the car cutting off completely no matter if it's around town or worse the interstate and worst of all, on a road course.

Let me know if you or anyone you know that has our cars has had similar problems before, thanks.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #2
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
This looks exactly the same as the problem I am having:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...heft+deterrent

There doesn't seem to be a long term solution and it's been hit-and-miss for some people
Old 05-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You can take it to an auto parts store for a free battery and alternator check. If the battery voltage is low you might not see it on the gauges (assuming the alternator is working) unless you hold the start button for about 10 seconds to enter accessory mode and check it before starting the car. I believe the alternator puts out less amps at lower speeds so your battery going bad would be my guess.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
You can take it to an auto parts store for a free battery and alternator check. If the battery voltage is low you might not see it on the gauges (assuming the alternator is working) unless you hold the start button for about 10 seconds to enter accessory mode and check it before starting the car. I believe the alternator puts out less amps at lower speeds so your battery going bad would be my guess.
Yeah, have the battery and alternator checked. System low voltage can cause all sorts of problems. Your factory battery is going on 5 years now.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Checking the battery is worthwhile.
But this sounds like a connection issue with a BCM. The other thread said ECM, but I don't think the car would be drivable if the ECM was blowing fuses.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote