Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Low Dust Brake Pads for DD

Hi all, my SS 1LE wheels and brake caliper are already covered in brake dust with less than 300 miles without much hard braking. I have decided to go with ceramic pads for low dust since I don't track my car. I very much understand I will be trading stopping power for clean wheels and calipers.

I searched the forum and noticed most go with the Powerstop Z26. I also saw a few mentions of the ceramic Hawk but I don't see much usage on the forum. Same for EBC pads. The Hawks fronts are about 3x the price of the Z26. If anyone has tried them both, is it that much better than the Z26?

Also if there are others you have tried, I would be interested in hearing about them. Thanks.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I've used the Z26 twice now, 1LE and now my ZL1, highly recommended. You're right there's not much talk on other pads like Hawk or EBC.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I've used the Z26 twice now, 1LE and now my ZL1, highly recommended. You're right there's not much talk on other pads like Hawk or EBC.
That's great to hear. Since I can't find much user feedback for the Hawks, I am thinking of going the tried and tested Z26 route.

How did you find the Z26 for DD use? Looking at past forum threads on the Z26, some claim not much difference from stock for DD duties. A few I think claim it's horrible. Due to this, it has been a little hard for me to guage what the performance will feel like.

Btw, do you happen to know the part numbers of the Z26s you got for the 1LE? I want to make sure I get the right set. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:46 PM   #4
WhiteMale

It's a street pad, people chime in and think they need to say don't track the car with those pads, I don't know, there's always that one or two that have to post something that has nothing to do with it.

Between the Brembo and the Z26 if you stand on the brakes you'll feel the difference, of course, but they a superb STREET pad. The 99% less dusting is a worthwhile trade off.

And, the Brembo's are super easy to swap without having to pull the calipers.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:48 PM   #5
WhiteMale

Z26-1405 1LE Front
Z26-1718 1LE Rear

DOuble check these for yourself before ordering them
Old 05-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #6
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
It's a street pad, people chime in and think they need to say don't track the car with those pads, I don't know, there's always that one or two that have to post something that has nothing to do with it.

Between the Brembo and the Z26 if you stand on the brakes you'll feel the difference, of course, but they a superb STREET pad. The 99% less dusting is a worthwhile trade off.

And, the Brembo's are super easy to swap without having to pull the calipers.
Quote:
Z26-1405 1LE Front
Z26-1718 1LE Rear

DOuble check these for yourself before ordering them
Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. I appreciate the perspective. I'll go ahead and order them. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 PM   #7
weekend_cruiser

An update for anyone interested in doing this in the future.

I installed the Z26 a few days ago. On the first drive for the bedding-in procedure, I noticed the reduced initial bite but after going through the bedding-in procedure, felt fine afterwards. Best compliment I can give the brakes is driving into work the following day, I completely forgot I had switched out the pads the day before.

Install was easy. Took more time to jack up the car and remove the tires. Needless to say I am very happy with them. They are more than adequate for DD duties.

P.S. I saw this thread after I had already purchased the pads. Wealth of information for the Z26 and very helpful for the install. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490810
Old 05-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #8
Jason Mellon

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 1LE & 2023 1LE
Sorry I missed this earlier, but I did install the Hawk ceramics because of dusting on my previous 1LE. I hadn’t heard of the Z26 before. The Hawks were superb for DD duties as street stopping was more than adequate and dusting wasn’t a problem anymore. I liked them and was going to order another set. I now just over 800 miles on the car. I had to remove the wheels to scrub them. Very dusty!
Hopefully you like those pads, I’ll consider too.
Jason Mellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I used carbotech’s street pad and have been happy with them.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:09 PM   #10
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mellon View Post
Sorry I missed this earlier, but I did install the Hawk ceramics because of dusting on my previous 1LE. I hadn’t heard of the Z26 before. The Hawks were superb for DD duties as street stopping was more than adequate and dusting wasn’t a problem anymore. I liked them and was going to order another set. I now just over 800 miles on the car. I had to remove the wheels to scrub them. Very dusty!
Hopefully you like those pads, I’ll consider too.
Thanks for the data point on the Hawks. At the time I purchased, I think the Hawks were about 2-3x the price of the Z26. The price difference and the many feedback on the Z26 is what ultimately pushed me to the Z26. Very happy with them. Time will tell if the non-dust is as good as people say but so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I used carbotech’s street pad and have been happy with them.
Never heard of the carbotech's but that's good to know. Looks like there are more options than I initially thought.