#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #3039
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The new diesel Cruze is already greenlit for next year.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #3040
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
That would be cool. Anyone here have a 1.4T Cruze with a tune/bolt ons?
Friend of mine had one with a tune, I think it had about 170 ish hp. It actually got better mileage with the tune. It got backed into by a semi at his work and was heavily damaged. He bought a Altima 2.5s which he likes more. More roomy inside etc.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #3041
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
I am still on the fence over the whole "Start / Stop" feature. Hated it in a 2014 Malibu I drove in Hawaii. I want a way to shut it off or tune it out. Please tell me there will be an ability to do just that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #3042
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Friend of mine had one with a tune, I think it had about 170 ish hp. It actually got better mileage with the tune. It got backed into by a semi at his work and was heavily damaged. He bought a Altima 2.5s which he likes more. More roomy inside etc.
That Altima engine is terrible
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #3043
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
I am still on the fence over the whole "Start / Stop" feature. Hated it in a 2014 Malibu I drove in Hawaii. I want a way to shut it off or tune it out. Please tell me there will be an ability to do just that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never driven a car with start/stop technology but it sounds jarring and I would think would make me feel uncomfortable. I think I would lose confidence in having to make left turns across oncoming traffic from a stop. FenwickHockey, do you know how widely GM plans to deploy start/stop technology in the future? If I ever look for a used car, I would be highly discouraged from buying a 2014-15 Malibu since start/stop is a standard feature.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #3044
FenwickHockey65

Expect it to become the norm throughout the industry.

GM's start/stop system is a lot better than most from what I've heard.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #3045
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I've never driven a car with start/stop technology but it sounds jarring and I would think would make me feel uncomfortable. I think I would lose confidence in having to make left turns across oncoming traffic from a stop. FenwickHockey, do you know how widely GM plans to deploy start/stop technology in the future? If I ever look for a used car, I would be highly discouraged from buying a 2014-15 Malibu since start/stop is a standard feature.
This may sound a bit obvious but ... why not drive one first, before deciding that you can't live with the way that it drives? Not saying you'll end up liking it, but at least give it a chance before dismissing it.

And I'm sure that if its safe for a normal car to make that left hand turn across traffic, its safe for a car with start/stop to make that exact same turn. The engine turns back on when you release the brakes, so by the time you physically move your foot from one pedal to the next, the engine should be running. And if it isn't, its only going to be a delay of a small fraction of a second. Remember, the engine is already warmed up and primed, ready to go (unlike how it is during a cold-start).

So if you're driving style is such that a tenth of a second is all that separates you from the car you're turning in front of ... you might want to re-evaluate what you consider a safe gap to be.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #3046
FenwickHockey65

I had an F-150 loaner with start/stop the last two weeks and never had issues with needing the engine to come back on. The engine restarts with just the slightest twitch of your foot.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #3047
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
This may sound a bit obvious but ... why not drive one first, before deciding that you can't live with the way that it drives? Not saying you'll end up liking it, but at least give it a chance before dismissing it.

And I'm sure that if its safe for a normal car to make that left hand turn across traffic, its safe for a car with start/stop to make that exact same turn. The engine turns back on when you release the brakes, so by the time you physically move your foot from one pedal to the next, the engine should be running. And if it isn't, its only going to be a delay of a small fraction of a second. Remember, the engine is already warmed up and primed, ready to go (unlike how it is during a cold-start).

So if you're driving style is such that a tenth of a second is all that separates you from the car you're turning in front of ... you might want to re-evaluate what you consider a safe gap to be.
I would definitely test drive it first to see how the system works since that would only be fair. Generally, it just seems manufacturers adding a complication like start/stop will hurt reliability since that's another system that can malfunction.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #3048
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I would definitely test drive it first to see how the system works since that would only be fair. Generally, it just seems manufacturers adding a complication like start/stop will hurt reliability since that's another system that can malfunction.
There isn't really much that gets added for start/stop. Maybe a few lines of code to control everything, but hardware-wise just about everything already exists on a modern car anyways.

I'd say that the risk of things failing due to start/stop is going to be offset by the fact that the engine won't be idling as much.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #3049
FenwickHockey65

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...bu-hybrid.html

48 MPG city Malibu Hybrid priced at $28,645.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #3050
FenwickHockey65

Soooo apparently GM is planning on branding the new 1.6L Turbodiesel in Cruze the "Flustern." Which is German for "whisper."
Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #3051
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Soooo apparently GM is planning on branding the new 1.6L Turbodiesel in Cruze the "Flustern." Which is German for "whisper."
I'm not sure what would be worse: keeping it in the original German or translating to English. Neither one sounds very marketable to me.

GM needs to overhaul their naming department. The Buick Envision seems to be about the only decent new name that they've come up with that I can think of in the last several years. SS Sedan, Bolt, the entire new Cadillac naming scheme ... they're all terrible.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #3052
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm not sure what would be worse: keeping it in the original German or translating to English. Neither one sounds very marketable to me.

GM needs to overhaul their naming department. The Buick Envision seems to be about the only decent new name that they've come up with that I can think of in the last several years. SS Sedan, Bolt, the entire new Cadillac naming scheme ... they're all terrible.
Good point about the Bolt. Blitz is German for Bolt of Lightning, so if this engine ever goes in a hybrid Bolt it would be Blitzflustern. Now that's a name.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions