Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #71
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
Let's not forget that 335 hp is not exactly a small amount. The V8 is more, but that doesn't mean the V6 is lacking. Unless you're going drag racing, I don't see much need for the power the V8 has. On the street you can't use it without risking tickets or worse, at autox power doesn't get you much, during a track day you're not racing anyone so all the extra power gets you is more consumable costs and more death if something goes wrong.

They all come with the same chassis and suspension, well I know the front is, I haven't checked the rear. The chassis was designed so Cadillac could compete with the Germans, not to compete with the Mustang and Challenger. The V6 and 2.0T are bad muscle cars, but great sports cars, enjoy it like it's a sports car.
I romp on my SS all the time and I just live in the burbs. Like any car/bike you need to give some consideration to where you open it up at, you can get tickets in anything. There's always an empty street. I asked a guy at a gas station how he liked his AMG and he said really didn't because he paid so much and couldn't open it up anywhere, I've never had that issue.

This is a big car is made for handling power, anything less than a V8 I think would feel anemic in it. A track day is not required to enjoy an SS, and yes I've done lots and lots of trackdays
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #72
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
I chose the V6 over the I4 partly for the sound, but mostly for the linear power delivery. I'll never knock the I4 with its superior low-end torque, but that just isn't the feel I prefer. I'm happy Chevy gives us so many powertrain options.

But yeah, if you are looking for raw performance get the V8.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #73
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
I went from a C7 'Vette with the same motor as the SS to a V6 RS 'Vert. I am very impressed with this 6 cyl engine. Smooth and sounds great (I have the NPP exhaust) , not a fast as my 'Vette but that's ok. I found very few times that I ever put the 'Vette to the floor and really needed all 460 hp. The car handles very well , a true sports car, quite different than the Camaro's of old. This is my third Camaro. Yet I can use 87 gas and get excellent mileage on the highway when cruising, has all the creature comforts, I have a 3LT.

When you step on it this car you get nice smooth acceleration, the engine has a great tone. It is pretty fast, nothing lacking, not brutal fast but sometimes brutal feels a little too edgy to me. My 'Vette when you really hit it always felt like it could get away from you and it could, lots of Youtube videos of guys hitting it and going sideways into poles and ditches. I had a 1978 Z28 Camaro that wasn't near as much fun or fast as this car. The engine sounds Ferrari like as it hits mid revs, not as deep a growl as the C7 which also had the NPP exhaust. Have had a few sports cars, including turbos, this is probably the nicest all around car. Turbos were always like 2 cycle motorcycle engines to me, narrow power band, peaky.

One of the reasons I didn't go with the SS was the pain of always putting premium in but also it came with summer only tires, if it weren't for the lack of options on the tires I probably would have bought the SS. I wanted all seasons, they should at least make that an option.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #74
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
"One of the reasons I didn't go with the SS was the pain of always putting premium in"

Traded his C7 in for V6 Camaro.

There is something to be said about a car that is "quick enough" that you can beat on and push without worrying about breaking it/losing control.

V6 Camaro is that car.

I literally have to drive a half hour from my house to find roads I feel comfortable enjoying my SS on.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #75
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
I literally have to drive a half hour from my house to find roads I feel comfortable enjoying my SS on.
I hear you, but I sure can enjoy my SS that has roughly the same power as yours without going WOT, too. This car has much more to it than straight line performance.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #76
CamaroRSOnt

As I said I probably would have went with the SS if not for the summer only tire issue. SS is a great car but I had the issue of summer only tires with the C7 and it was a pain. I live in Canada, when the temps drop below 50F those tires get slippery real fast. Perhaps the SS tires have more tread than the C7, not sure. It was easy to feel that back end go out on you with the C7 without anywhere near full power once the weather started to cool.

We have a place in Florida I would have liked to take it down to once in a while, once fall hit you couldn't trust the tires to get you down and back. Often cooler running thru the Smokey mountains and forget driving in snow. Those tires also had warnings that they cracked at below 20F if you drove on them. Just don't understand Chevy not giving the options of all season tires on the SS. Had to take the SUV down while I had the C7, now I have the option of taking the Camaro, of course this year the dam border is closed due to the pandemic.

Regardless the V6 has plenty of power. Amazing that my 1978 Z28 350 CI only produced 185hp and now a extremely smooth V6 puts out 335 hp. Love the sound of it as well. My wife had a 1984 Camaro with a V6 , she loved it, it was about 105 hp. She was the first to say lets look at another Camaro. These guys running 700-800 hp on the street, just crazy ! Pretty sure I don't need more than 0-60 in 5 secs and 155 mph top end to keep me entertained.

Probably a couple of people wondering why I would move to the Camaro (aside from the tire issue) after a C7. Bought the C7 when it first came out, loved the car but it was time for a change. The C8 came out and I didn't like the styling at all, too busy, too many lines, ass end was far too big for the car. Trunk in the front not attractive to me. The Camaro seemed like a great alternative, ordered it last January got in March just after they closed the factory due to Covid. Really like the car , no regrets going from the C7 to it at all. Change is good.

Here a pic of the Camaro...
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 09-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #77
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Yes, you most likely did. I didn’t even consider anything except for the V8. Just the sound alone with the Borlas is priceless. Then there’s the savage performance.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #78
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
I went from a C7 'Vette with the same motor as the SS to a V6 RS 'Vert. I am very impressed with this 6 cyl engine. Smooth and sounds great (I have the NPP exhaust) , not a fast as my 'Vette but that's ok. I found very few times that I ever put the 'Vette to the floor and really needed all 460 hp. The car handles very well , a true sports car, quite different than the Camaro's of old. This is my third Camaro. Yet I can use 87 gas and get excellent mileage on the highway when cruising, has all the creature comforts, I have a 3LT.

When you step on it this car you get nice smooth acceleration, the engine has a great tone. It is pretty fast, nothing lacking, not brutal fast but sometimes brutal feels a little too edgy to me. My 'Vette when you really hit it always felt like it could get away from you and it could, lots of Youtube videos of guys hitting it and going sideways into poles and ditches. I had a 1978 Z28 Camaro that wasn't near as much fun or fast as this car. The engine sounds Ferrari like as it hits mid revs, not as deep a growl as the C7 which also had the NPP exhaust. Have had a few sports cars, including turbos, this is probably the nicest all around car. Turbos were always like 2 cycle motorcycle engines to me, narrow power band, peaky.

One of the reasons I didn't go with the SS was the pain of always putting premium in but also it came with summer only tires, if it weren't for the lack of options on the tires I probably would have bought the SS. I wanted all seasons, they should at least make that an option.
I guess the LT1 trim came out a little too late for you. Sounded like that would be something for you.

Oh well, if you aren't gonna use the V8 power that often(especially in cities), the V6 is perfectly fine. Cheaper to run and it has all the power you'd ever need in the cities. I recently talked to two guys with V6 Camaro's, both are happy with what they have.

I need to starting tracking with mine...

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #79
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
My 'Vette when you really hit it always felt like it could get away from you...
that is one area the 1LE performs well. in stock trim it was near impossible to spin a tire or have the car get away from you on a warm summer day. even now, after adding 70+ whp the car is still very predictable. if it's warm out and the tires are clean it's very impressive. but if it's cold or the sun hasn't been on the road for awhile and you go flooring it, it might be a little sketchy.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #80
CamaroRSOnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
that is one area the 1LE performs well. in stock trim it was near impossible to spin a tire or have the car get away from you on a warm summer day. even now, after adding 70+ whp the car is still very predictable. if it's warm out and the tires are clean it's very impressive. but if it's cold or the sun hasn't been on the road for awhile and you go flooring it, it might be a little sketchy.

That's great, that's what I like in a car !!

The 'Vette was great in the corners, the Michelin tires really stuck in warm weather , that inspired confidence. The RS Camaro is good, not great. The 1LE would be a step above what I have and more in line with a 'Vette's performance.

Everything is a trade off. Sure like the comfort of the Camaro, little more room in it, pretty nice ride. It is much quieter than my C7 was both top up or down. You can cruise at highway speeds, hear the stereo nicely talk to a passenger in my RS with the top down. The Targa style top on the C7 made it difficult to talk when you got above 40 mph, a lot of wind buffeting from the back end of the coupe, stereo had to be cranked to hear it. You also got a lot more road noise from the C7 with the top on, the rear wheels are right behind you, pretty loud. I added sound deadening to the interior to stop some of that. No car is perfect !
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 09-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #81
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
I have a 2020 V6 6spd and I love it. The 335hp is plenty for me. If I was doing track days, then "I" would have went with the 2SS. I did get the 1LE package which makes it a fun car. Plus I special ordered mine, so I was able to pick my options.

Why did I settle for V6? Well, runs on unleaded gas, cheaper insurance ($500 year), costs less than the 2SS (2SS has same electronics package as 3LT), and I would have to sell my bike to cover the costs to own the 2SS.

Nothing wrong with the 2SS, I just didn't want to drop all that money up front and during ownership. Especially here in CA where everything is over priced.

Cheers
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #82
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1LE View Post
I have a 2020 V6 6spd and I love it. The 335hp is plenty for me. If I was doing track days, then "I" would have went with the 2SS. I did get the 1LE package which makes it a fun car. Plus I special ordered mine, so I was able to pick my options.

Why did I settle for V6? Well, runs on unleaded gas, cheaper insurance ($500 year), costs less than the 2SS (2SS has same electronics package as 3LT), and I would have to sell my bike to cover the costs to own the 2SS.

Nothing wrong with the 2SS, I just didn't want to drop all that money up front and during ownership. Especially here in CA where everything is over priced.

Cheers
If you have a bike then I think a V6 is a good choice.

When I went to the lapping day, I talked to a guy who was a huge bike guy that claimed he did many bike track days. He said his RS7 just felt boring in comparison and he is actually selling it to get an SUV just to daily, while he rides the bike for the fun stuff.

And the LT 1LE is track capable(has a few SS stuff like the tires). The warranty will cover your car if something goes wrong mechanically.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote