Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #29
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I'm not familiar with the terms FE2 and FE3 suspensions, but even with doing autox or track days, I don't find the MRC suspension to be a requirement. The 2 autox events I got in before everything shut down, I took down a PP2 Mustang on the exact same tires by nearly a full second on a 45-second course both times. I'm pretty sure the only option on my car is the metallic black paint. IMO suspension doesn't affect lap times nearly as much as people make it out to. Softer is almost always faster.

Not having an LSD would drive me crazy. Don't think it makes that much of a difference on the street, but for autox and track it would be no bueno. My last car was a Focus ST with one of the E-diffs where it squeezes the brake to simulate an LSD. On the street it was fine, probably made it more fun. At autox it was OK, it did a couple of weird things, but nothing that I couldn't drive around. Once I did a couple of track days I wanted to throw it in the garbage. It was impossible to put power down out of the corners.
Coupled with the awful tires, the lack of LSD makes the auto cars feel very... Loose... More akin to a GT car than a sports car, you can go fast, but you can't feel it, you can't feel the acceleration or grip or anything, stickier tires, lsd and stiffer suspension make it a charm to drive, heck that's the formula for the I4/V6 1LE, it works with the autos even if the transmission isn't that good.

As for the suspension, there are 4 designated types for the Camaro and 2 inbetweeners

FE2 is the softest and most complaint suspension, this is what recent grad Meaghan gets when she gets her first paycheck from JCPenny, it comes in all of the RS models (20 inch wheels), and while not bad, is the worst of the bunch performance wise
FE3 is the SS AND, non RS equipped cars (18 inch wheels) and I4/V6 1LE, it's more firm and sportier suspension
LT Performance Suspension from Chevrolet Performance is specifically tuned for LT models and is even stiffer than FE3
SS Performance Suspension from Chevrolet Performance is the same idea as the LT one, haven't driven one but I would assume it's stiffer than FE3
FE4 is the Magnetic Suspension optional in the SS and standard in the SS 1LE and ZL1
FEA is the gatekeeper suspension that prevents regular people from buying a ZL1 1LE while being 0.1s faster

As for you being faster than the Mustang... Driver mod, and we all know the Mustang platform sucks compared to Alpha, only good thing those cars have going on for the is the engines and the trick LCD dash, I think the stock GT comes with 235 on a 460 V8, no wonder people spin them into crowds, their MRC calibration also isn't as good as Chevy's, plus it's their first independent rear Mustang, you can expect the next gen to be up to par or better than current Camaro, unless Chevy uses Omega for the next Camaro...

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:29 AM   #30
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I have owned 3 Gen6 Camaro's. A 2017 and 2018 with V6 and a 2019 with I4. IMHO the I4 by the seat of the pants feels a bit faster off the line and has noticeably more down low power, along with a lighter more nimble feel and better MPG’s, but on required premium fuel. The V6 on the other hand is a far more refined smoother engine. It more than makes up for the lack of low end torque with its smooth 330 HP performance and it’s sweet sound at higher RPM, with respectable MPG’s on 87 octane fuel. Also the V6 was picked by Ward's magazine as one of the 10 best engines made and is available with NPP exhaust and now the A10 with active fuel management. Having owned both I would pick the V6 over the Turbo for its superior refinement...
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Great info here. I traded a 04 bmw z4 for my 18 ls, yes the lowest trim there is, an I4 M6. It was a spontaneous purchase when they dropped the price 6k during the "big sale", new off the showroom floor. Figured with all the partial projects I had in the bmw I still came out on top. I looked at her and it was like the most gorgeous work of sheet metal molding I ever saw, in nightfall grey. It checked all the boxes for me. And yeah, in comps to german cars, I am in that frame of thought too, the car with this engine is made to compete with those sport coups and japanese as well. That is why I don't have issues with the high revving aspect, I think of it as an American bmw. The exhaust gets muted due to the turbo not by lack of design. Anyways, long story short, I also prospected for the purpose of tuning. And the I4 does not disappoint here. I know tuning is a deal breaker for most who need a reliable DD but its my second car first being the all purpose American standard F150 (with twin turbos btw). Since changes in my life, I don't have access to the local musicians that I used to have, nor a lot of golf buddies to call for, My car is my perpetual tuning and modding project right now. I can tell you the I4 needs the LSD. The I4 can be made to put down an amazing amount of power. The fact that I am 20 minutes away from a world class dragway that hosts street nights 2 times a week, doesn't exactly help in the set it and forget it department, lol. Its been a great ride and I am having a blast learning more about performance engineering than I ever thought possible. If and when the I4 gets tired, I will be figuring out what next to drop in this iconic chassis. hmmm an AMG v8? possibilites.....are endless.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #32
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I see the gas mileage subject being mentioned between the different models, and have some direct comparisons between my 2018 V6 and my neighbors 2016 V8. Both A8's as well. We both both drive in very similar conditions (90% rural country type roads) and I average 26-27 mpgs, and he averages about 20. His driving style is very similar to mine on these comparisons, which is fairly relaxed. So apples to apples, I'd say about a 20% difference in fuel consumption. Factor in a solid $1 difference between 87 and 93 at this current point, the cost difference in total becomes pretty significant.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #33
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
I have a 10-speed automatic and get good gas mileage even with my pedal commander. 20-21/CTY 30-31 HWY. For a V6 it has some damn good gas mileage and with its cylinder deactivation it's pretty interesting. Itll become even better when I install a cold air inductions CAI along with solar performance throttle body. (Maybe shave .2 seconds off who knows \_<~>_/
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #34
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I think .2 is reasonable
Old 06-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #35
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I see the gas mileage subject being mentioned between the different models, and have some direct comparisons between my 2018 V6 and my neighbors 2016 V8. Both A8's as well. We both both drive in very similar conditions (90% rural country type roads) and I average 26-27 mpgs, and he averages about 20. His driving style is very similar to mine on these comparisons, which is fairly relaxed. So apples to apples, I'd say about a 20% difference in fuel consumption. Factor in a solid $1 difference between 87 and 93 at this current point, the cost difference in total becomes pretty significant.
20 MPG sounds like they are hiding something from you... As I mentioned, I managed to get 19 MPG going 70 MPH+ the whole time and I was accelerating regularly to break in.

I can probably get better than that if I am being fairly relaxed in my M6 without AFM and with 90% countryside. 21 to 22 MPG would be my guess. With an A8 I would be expecting 22 to 23 MPG with the V8.

But yeah the cost difference between premium and regular is a thing. You can still feed regular to the V8, it will just pull timing and reduce performance (I read about 30~40 HP loss).

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #36
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I would never be the one to feed 87 octane to any V8 Gen6. Just Sayin....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
20 MPG sounds like they are hiding something from you... As I mentioned, I managed to get 19 MPG going 70 MPH+ the whole time and I was accelerating regularly to break in.

I can probably get better than that if I am being fairly relaxed in my M6 without AFM and with 90% countryside. 21 to 22 MPG would be my guess. With an A8 I would be expecting 22 to 23 MPG with the V8.

But yeah the cost difference between premium and regular is a thing. You can still feed regular to the V8, it will just pull timing and reduce performance (I read about 30~40 HP loss).

Sent from toaster or something
I get 23-24 with regular highway cruising mostly on 6th gear, I managed to get like 31 with Cruise Control on the day I took delivery, mind you it was 70 on 6th for a fair amount of time without braking or accelerating

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:05 AM   #38
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
If I threw premium in my car, I dont think there would be much of a difference, would there? I highly doubt performance would increase. Most would consider a waste.
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #39
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
If I threw premium in my car, I dont think there would be much of a difference, would there? I highly doubt performance would increase. Most would consider a waste.
I don't recall what the manual says for the V6, but if it doesn't even mention premium fuel, then it's most certainly a waste of money.

There's probably not many cars that can't run on 87 octane. Manufacturers aren't dumb and know that a lot of people will always put 87 in their cars, and they don't want tons of reliability issues because of it.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #40
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
Ive got a 2020 LT1 and while I love it, that extra 110hp is a bit of a waste. I mean, I don't track the car, and its not like I can really make use of it in Seattle traffic. Honestly, the only reason I picked up an LT1 vs a V6 RS is because I got a killer deal on it. It sounds really nice though...
Old 06-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #41
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
I've ran several tanks of 93 and 87 in my V6. Bottom line, unless you plan on tracking the car on a hot summer day, you never notice any difference. I've even done several 0-60 runs on both fuels, and saw no difference at all
Old 06-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #42
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Ive got a 2020 LT1 and while I love it, that extra 110hp is a bit of a waste. I mean, I don't track the car, and its not like I can really make use of it in Seattle traffic. Honestly, the only reason I picked up an LT1 vs a V6 RS is because I got a killer deal on it. It sounds really nice though...
You make a solid point about the horsepower. Case in point I have a 700 hp Camaro SS, and of course my 335 hp daily RS V6. Unless I'm going to a car show, or track event, I almost always take my V6. It's just as pretty, has the tech and creature comforts, and when I give it the beans it won't wake the dead, and attract every cop within a mile radius lol. Plus in a car with that much horsepower you want to really lay into it. Otherwise what's the point of having and paying for all that power. Granted a great deal is a great deal regardless, and if you can get a V8 at a phenomenal deal compared to a V6 then it's kind of a no brainier. But 99% of time the V6 is gonna be WAY cheaper.