Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
1-LE

Drives: V6 camaro 1le
Hello, I'm new to the forum and just came across this thread. I recently got a 2018 v6 1le it currently has 4k miles. I recently noticed the steering wheel was off center, so i took it to firestone for alignment. They aligned it and centered the wheel, but after a day or 2 the wheel was off center again. Could the bolts be a cause of this? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
1-LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #30
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
So there is a lot of talk about the bolts related to alignment being reusable or not. Also Ive seen improper torque specs flying around, so this post is to clear things up, basically what does GM officially say?

Why are torque specifications important?

Torque is the only thing holding your alignment if you do not have proper preload on the joint then your alignment can then drift (fall out of spec)

What is a a TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) Fastener?

Front:

For further clarification I submitted a question to GM though SI (Service Information) department about the front bolts here is there reply.

Rear:
So what about the rear? No one talks about the rear!

Picture from my 2017 1SS 1LE of the rear alignment bolts (Drivers side rear looking inward)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

Front: The front shock bolts are not TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) these are TA(Torque + Angle) fasteners and can be reused.

Rear: The two bolts that adjust the rear alignment are TTL/TAY bolts and need to be replaced anytime they are loosened. Nuts can be reused

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque Specs

Front Strut to Knuckle Bolts (Lower Shock Bolts)
110 ft/lb + 80-95 degrees
Rear LCA TTY/TAY Bolt
85 ft/lb + 75-90 degrees
Rear Toe Link TTY/TAY Bolt
52 ft/lb + 105 degrees

Part Numbers:
Front Shock Bolts: 11547494
Rear Camber Bolt: 11547215
Rear Toe Bolt: 11611276

*Part numbers from "That GM Parts Guy"

Disclaimer: All torque and bolt information in this post has been provided by GM though GM SERVICE INFORMATION (GMSi) as of 07/20/2017 unless otherwise stated. This post may or may not be updated if changes are made to the specifications shown above after the posting date.
I'm confused, so even though on the 3rd page of this document under Front Camber Adjustment it says to DISCARD the Camber Adjusting bolt, you contacted GM and they said it can be reused?
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #31
Cheveyboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
GunMetalGrey: You're confusing the single adjustment bolt, which is only used to align the car, with the two nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle.
Cheveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:50 AM   #32
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
GunMetalGrey: You're confusing the single adjustment bolt, which is only used to align the car, with the two nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle.
I see, so the single adjustment bolt, which is only used to align the car, does not need to be discarded however if the two nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle were for some reason loosened and/or taken out (which I assume does not happen during alignment) GM calls for them to be discarded, correct?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #33
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I see, so the single adjustment bolt, which is only used to align the car, does not need to be discarded however if the two nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle were for some reason loosened and/or taken out (which I assume does not happen during alignment) GM calls for them to be discarded, correct?
The 2 large bolts that hold the front knuckle and strut together are reused. The front 'camber adjusting bolt' is just a 10mm bolt that can be temporarily used in the tapped hole of the knuckle to push the knuckle out while setting the camber. That bolt should obviously not be left in the knuckle, just keep it in your tool box when you're done.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Glad I found this thread. Checked with my dealer today and they were not aware of the single use bolts for the rear alignment (full track alignment booked for Friday). They will have them in stock in time.
2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #35
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Should be sticky.

However I'll add that TTY is asinine for alignment bolts. To me it is just as dumb as specifying TTY for lug studs. Something that's meant to be adjusted or otherwise regularly serviced shouldn't be TTY.
What he said^^^
Ordered: 6/15/23 Accepted: 7/5/23
3000 - 7/5 ---> 3100 - 7/19
3300 - 7/20 --> 3400 - 7/20 -->TPW - 8/7
4300 - 8/14 --->4B00 - 9/5
DELIVERED 9/20!!
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #36
mspeed1LE

Drives: ZL1 1LE SUMMIT WHITE
Since I ordered my first set they have now tripled in price from GM!

2018 ZLE * StudioRSR Half Cage * SkidmarkGarage Rear Seat Delete * ZL1ADDONS Lift Pads * Roto-Fab CAI * Forgestar CF5-V's * Michelin PS4S * Racequip 6 Pt. Harnesses * Sub-strap Brackets by Carmena Performance * Speedhut Shift Light * Leroy Eng. Hidden Hitch (for the TYR RAT)* Gen5DIY Rapid Flash 3rd Brake Light * KOOKS 2" LT * Green Cats * AWE Cat-back Track Edition *

mspeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #37
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Does moog or any one else make a replacement?
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #38
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
The original service info has been deprecated...

I use the lifetime alignment service at my local Bridgestone/Firestone store and the computer no longer pops up a warning about TTY bolts.
Can anyone confirm this at this point?

It seems improbable that GM would use single use fasteners for alignment components, but I wouldn't put it past them.

If the info about the TTY rear bolts is no longer current, it needs to be updated...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #39
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Can anyone confirm this at this point?
So, I guess I can answer my own question... confirmed that both the rear camber and toe adjustment bolts are still TTY.

I went by the dealer today, and asked specifically about the rear camber bolts and toe adjustment bolts. The shop manager printed the service manual pages for my 2018 ZL1, and it clearly indicates that both of these bolts should be discarded and replaced with NEW bolts.

It still amazes (and irritates) me that GM would use a single-use fastener for an alignment component. Especially on car they forsee having a high liklihood of track use. It's just stupid.

Even more irritating is that the local dealer doesn't keep them in stock.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #40
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
It still amazes (and irritates) me that GM would use a single-use fastener for an alignment component. Especially on car they forsee having a high liklihood of track use. It's just stupid.

Even more irritating is that the local dealer doesn't keep them in stock.

Thanks for the update! The single use bolts really do seem like a fail!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #41
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
So there is a lot of talk about the bolts related to alignment being reusable or not. Also Ive seen improper torque specs flying around, so this post is to clear things up, basically what does GM officially say?

Why are torque specifications important?

Torque is the only thing holding your alignment if you do not have proper preload on the joint then your alignment can then drift (fall out of spec)

What is a a TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) Fastener?

Front:

For further clarification I submitted a question to GM though SI (Service Information) department about the front bolts here is there reply.

Rear:
So what about the rear? No one talks about the rear!

Picture from my 2017 1SS 1LE of the rear alignment bolts (Drivers side rear looking inward)

Conclusion:

Front: The front shock bolts are not TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) these are TA(Torque + Angle) fasteners and can be reused.

Rear: The two bolts that adjust the rear alignment are TTL/TAY bolts and need to be replaced anytime they are loosened. Nuts can be reused

Torque Specs

Front Strut to Knuckle Bolts (Lower Shock Bolts)
110 ft/lb + 80-95 degrees
Rear LCA TTY/TAY Bolt
85 ft/lb + 75-90 degrees
Rear Toe Link TTY/TAY Bolt
52 ft/lb + 105 degrees

Part Numbers:
Front Shock Bolts: 11547494
Rear Camber Bolt: 11547215
Rear Toe Bolt: 11611276

*Part numbers from "That GM Parts Guy"

Disclaimer: All torque and bolt information in this post has been provided by GM though GM SERVICE INFORMATION (GMSi) as of 07/20/2017 unless otherwise stated. This post may or may not be updated if changes are made to the specifications shown above after the posting date.
So we need 2 of each of these right? 6 bolts in total?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #42
Jimmy'18

Drives: 2011 Silverado
TTY? Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
So we need 2 of each of these right? 6 bolts in total?
Nick, in case you're still wondering, there are 2 bolts per rear side that are "supposed" to be replaced. One for camber, the other for toe adjustment. 4 bolts total.

I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents on this thread. At 4,000 miles currently, my suspension felt like it was a mess and the steering wheel was off center. I've always done my own alignments and get even tire wear and high mileage, so I figured let's get busy on the Camaro.

So, I proceed to check the front. Toe-in was about +0.2*, but the camber was off at -1.0* and -1.1* driver and passenger side respectively. (Specs are -0.75*) The front knuckle bolts were SO TIGHT, I snapped my breaker bar where the socket attaches and my forearms crashed into the fender lip causing golf-ball sized dents. Luckily, I have a PDR glue kit and rods and know how to use them. I had to get my huge impact wrench out to finish the job. These bolts are supposedly reusable. Front alignment is now perfect and feels awesome.

Moving to the rear, it's got toe-out of -0.2*. Worse is the camber at -1.6* and -1.4*. Specs are +0.2* toe-in and -1.0* camber. The passenger rear was visibly more negative than the driver's side and that really bugged me.

Preparing for the worst based on my experience with the front knuckle bolts, I crawl under the car with my heaviest duty breaker bar and sockets. I also had my regular Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I tried that first while noting that the factory blue paint marks haven't moved, so that's good to see. To my surprise, all camber and toe bolts broke loose easily. There couldn't have been more than 40-50 foot pounds of tension - maybe less. They just backed off with no issue.

I'm reusing mine - and I tightened them slightly tighter but nowhere near 100+ ft lbs plus angle. If these were TTY head bolts (I build HP boat engines) I'd definitely be purchasing new ARP hardware. But, like many of you said, I can't imagine these bolts are one-use-only on an adjustable part. Why aren't the front?

I just thought I'd post my experience based on what I read above where the dealer couldn't comment on whether they reused the bolts or not. B.S., they reused them. I suppose if I tracked a ZL1 I wouldn't take a chance, but this is a DD. Again, just my .02c

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote