#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
if BMW comes out with an M4 Gran Coupe we'll be taking a look at that as well.
I just drove the M2 Gran Coupe and LOVED it. It's a beast for a lil 4-door sedan and the AWD is a nice touch. It was white with red interior. Very nice but the wife said if I wanted it I had to get rid of the Camaro SS as both payments would've pushed the budget. No way I'm getting rid of the Camaro SS so I leased a 2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD Hatchback instead for my DD. I've always found Mazda autos fun to drive.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #30
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I just drove the M2 Gran Coupe and LOVED it. It's a beast for a lil 4-door sedan and the AWD is a nice touch. It was white with red interior. Very nice but the wife said if I wanted it I had to get rid of the Camaro SS as both payments would've pushed the budget. No way I'm getting rid of the Camaro SS so I leased a 2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD Hatchback instead for my DD. I've always found Mazda autos fun to drive.
Most BMW's feel good when doing a test drive or daily driving. Where I have an issue is when it's an M car and it is driven like a M car should be... 9/10th & 10/10ths, it's there that they falls apart. M used to mean something special, now it's just a marketing ploy.

My SS 1LE is what I was expecting my M3 to be from a performance standpoint, but wasn't.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #31
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
These American sports/pony cars have such an amazing value, they give the German sports cars a run for their money. Personally, other than possibly the interior, I don't see why I would pick a BMW M2 or M4(which would be considered to be Camaro SS 1LE's competitor). The Camaro interior is good enough for me and is not short on features on a 2SS. That's also not to mention the reliability problems of BMW down the line. They are not very DIY friendly and parts cost more.

That's not to mention the S motors of BMW M sound like ass, which is funny because the N motors on the non-M actually sound better. Even their owners will admit that they sound absolutely awful. LT1 exhaust notes are beautiful in comparison.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #32
SirJangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
These American sports/pony cars have such an amazing value, they give the German sports cars a run for their money. Personally, other than possibly the interior, I don't see why I would pick a BMW M2 or M4(which would be considered to be Camaro SS 1LE's competitor). The Camaro interior is good enough for me and is not short on features on a 2SS. That's also not to mention the reliability problems of BMW down the line. They are not very DIY friendly and parts cost more.

That's not to mention the S motors of BMW M sound like ass, which is funny because the N motors on the non-M actually sound better. Even their owners will admit that they sound absolutely awful. LT1 exhaust notes are beautiful in comparison.
TOTALLY agree with you. That's why I went with the Camaro SS instead of the M2 Competition (and others) when I was shopping. Simply couldn't beat the value or the smile the Camaro SS put on my face.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #33
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Hate to say it but that wasn't a true M car if it had around 300 hp. That's a regular series BMW with a M package. Totally different from a M2, M3 or M4. Which are all above 400 hp and only RWD, at the moment.

Like I mentioned, BMW uses the M badge on everything to make it appeal to potential buyers.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #34
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
TOTALLY agree with you. That's why I went with the Camaro SS instead of the M2 Competition (and others) when I was shopping. Simply couldn't beat the value or the smile the Camaro SS put on my face.
Reminds me of this R&T article that compared an SS 1LE against an M2C.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...camaro-ss-1le/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Hate to say it but that wasn't a true M car if it had around 300 hp. That's a regular series BMW with a M package. Totally different from a M2, M3 or M4. Which are all above 400 hp and only RWD, at the moment.

Like I mentioned, BMW uses the M badge on everything to make it appeal to potential buyers.
Welp, at least they didn't put the Mustang badge on an electric SUV.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #35
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Bigger question is, every time it has to go in the shop, are you going to let your wife drive your ZLE?
Haha, I've actually encouraged her to drive it but she hates manuals and I also think it scares her

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Congratulations Aaron!

It's been too long. We need to get back into the canyons after this Covid-19 thing blows over.

Yea, she's still driving the Infinity. 3 more payments left on the ZLE and then it's her turn again. I'm looking at the upcoming Acura TLX Type S, the upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and if BMW comes out with an M4 Gran Coupe we'll be taking a look at that as well.
Sounds great, would love to do some longer drives, since moving up to temecula I've done a few runs here and there but only about 30 minute jaunts. Many great roads all within 15 minutes of here. Planning to get a track day in by the end of the year if that's something you'd be interested in? That's awesome you'll have if all paid off and she gets a new car, that ct5-v blackwing looks badass

Quote:
Back when I bought my 135i, it came with free maintenance for 5 years, so i had a free oil change and new wipers every year. It never needed anything else other than the battery which wasn't included in it, of course.

Hopefully that warranty does work out for you! $2500 for that should be a good deal for it on a M car.
Thanks, hopefully their aren't big issues regardless

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEaDrHdCHf0
Haha yes!! Damn thing sounds like a lawnmower or something especially when its cold
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #36
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
They don't make 400+hp at the crank, it's at the wheels
It's closer to 380-390, the competition makes more

Quote:
so it'll give the ZLE a run for it's money in a straight line for sure
uh, no - it will will give an SS a good run, but the SS usually wins as documented in the R&D comparison (granted this was 2016). A ZL1 will obliterate it, which is another reason I stepped up to one, too many M drivers are assholes that need to be put in their place

Quote:
There's a reason that many of these are let go around 20-40K, it's usually when a lot of service and tires are due, like brakes, rotors, transmission, filters, etc. At least with a 45K warranty you should be ok in the case of a significant issue.
The S55 is a fairly reliable engine built to take boost, but let's face it, a 3.0L running 20+ psi for extended periods is unlikely to turn 100k on the original motor, it will start to lose compression and other issues. Turbo cars are more complicated, more stuff to break, and when it happens BMW will bend you over hard on parts and service

I generally like the way they look but like I said, many of the drivers are obnoxious. Mercedes C63S would be a better choice.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #37
SirJangle

Quote:

True statement. I drove the M235i Gran Coupe xDrive and the M2 Competition. No comparison between the two performance wise. I was just stating that the Gran Coupe was impressive for an AWD model which was what I was looking for to be able to drive all year around in Ohio as I only drive the Camaro SS as a toy, for fun. The wife and I used to commute together as her job was on my way to work. So, we'd drive her SUV most of the time and the Camaro SS when I felt the itch. She got a new job and we can't commute together anymore. So, I had to find a DD to drive when the weather wouldn't permit me to drive my Camaro SS. I ended-up getting the 2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD Hatchback. Fun to drive, lots of equipment (even HUD), some cargo space, and the lease payment was doable with the Camaro SS payment.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #38
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Reminds me of this R&T article that compared an SS 1LE against an M2C.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...camaro-ss-1le/
I wouldn't own the M2 for the same reason I wouldn't own a Mustang; That teeny-tiny fuel tank just wouldn't work for me at all, when the engine has 400+ HP
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I wouldn't own the M2 for the same reason I wouldn't own a Mustang; That teeny-tiny fuel tank just wouldn't work for me at all, when the engine has 400+ HP
That's silly to not want a car with a tiny fuel tank.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #40
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
2 car payments ouch�� op especially 1 being a lease. I just can’t do debt lol. Having my mortgage is enough for me. I drive quite a few badass toys at the moment but all mine are paid for otherwise I’d just have 1 small car payment and a beater until I could pay for a better dd. Just my .02
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #41
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Ducati 1299 is my true go fast toy :-)

Always loved the 2004-2005 ZX-10R though
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #42
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
I hate to beat a dead horse but....
I had a 2009 328xi. It was a certified used vehicle with 11K miles and 2 yrs remaining on the original warrantee. In the 26 months I owned it, it was in the shop 13 times. A couple times for leaking headlight washers, 2 new batteries, a leaking sunroof, speedo was off by 15 mph, and the list goes on and on. After the warrantee ended is when the sunroof started leaking. The shop said all they can do is replace the entire sunroof at $1400 plus 8 hrs labor at $150 per hour. Um no thanks. I drove 5 miles north to the Honda dealer and traded it in on a Civic Si. Bottom line is MY BMW was a POS.
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote