Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
Used racing slicks vs 100tw vs 200tw for HPDE?

Curious what your guys' thoughts are on used racing slicks vs 100tw vs 200tw for HPDE? I've seen a mix of all three in the advanced groups, probably favoring slicks for the really fast guys.

What do you use and why? I'm currently on advan A052 200tw tires, love them, but they're around $1400 a set and they've lasted me a good 5 full track days. Never used 100tw 140tw or used slicks before, but the priced of used slicks are very tempting, I'm just afraid they will die much faster to the point of being more expensive than 200tw....I'm going to have to go down to 18" rims to save some money but overall, tires are by far my biggest expense, done about 12 track days so far this year, with some autocross thrown in I've gone through 3 sets of tires :/. I might end up going back to the kuhmo ecsta ps91 which are slower but only $800 a set in 20".
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Used Slicks will have too many Heat Cycles in them. Heat Cycles are more important than how much rubber is left
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Used Slicks will have too many Heat Cycles in them. Heat Cycles are more important than how much rubber is left
Ah gotcha, thanks for the input. BTW u guys were really helpful when I needed new rear sway end links last week.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Are the stock Goodyears SC3 not fast enough? I've considered going to something else but the balance of longevity, cost, performance keeps me coming back to stock. Especially now that some of the older stock are on sale at tire rack. Full set for $750 is really tough to beat. I already have a spare set at home or I would reload again.

That said, I've never driven on 100tw tires and maybe that ignorance is better for my wallet!
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
miatatony

They were pretty good and matched the stock performance well, but once I went to a 200tw tire the grip levels are so good I just want even more grip lol. I purposely stayed away from 200tw tires as long as I could to be easy on the wallet, I might go back to a 260tw or 300tw in the future though.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
The GY SC3s are a 200TW tire. They might have your size now, not sure. You could put some wider rims on that V6 1LE to run them if not.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Having run Goodyear Supercar 3Rs (stock ZL1 1LE sizes), Nitto NT-01s (stock ZL1 1LE sizes), and new Continental slicks (18 inch, 305/315 setup), here's my take:

If you are going to run a few (say 5-7) events per year, the Supercar 3R makes the most sense to me. It is stupid fast, but expensive.

If you are going to run frequently (10+ events per year), I think the value proposition of an 18" slick is there. I bought a few sets (new, not scrubs) for really cheap, but even at $150-$175 per tire, they last just as long as the Supercar (about 3 track days for me) and are equally as quick when new. It's hard to say how the grip level of the slick will compare to the Supercar 3R in the long run (I only have 2 days on my first set of slicks), but I don't think it'll matter much to me.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
The GY SC3s are a 200TW tire. They might have your size now, not sure. You could put some wider rims on that V6 1LE to run them if not.
Ah right I've actually never tried those, I was thinking of the Goodyear's that came with my car which are eagle f1 or something like that, they came factory on my focus st as well and they weren't that grippy.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.nichols View Post
Having run Goodyear Supercar 3Rs (stock ZL1 1LE sizes), Nitto NT-01s (stock ZL1 1LE sizes), and new Continental slicks (18 inch, 305/315 setup), here's my take:

If you are going to run a few (say 5-7) events per year, the Supercar 3R makes the most sense to me. It is stupid fast, but expensive.

If you are going to run frequently (10+ events per year), I think the value proposition of an 18" slick is there. I bought a few sets (new, not scrubs) for really cheap, but even at $150-$175 per tire, they last just as long as the Supercar (about 3 track days for me) and are equally as quick when new. It's hard to say how the grip level of the slick will compare to the Supercar 3R in the long run (I only have 2 days on my first set of slicks), but I don't think it'll matter much to me.
Thanks for the info. I'm curious what you think about the ultimate grip levels of the NT01 vs a slick with a few heat cycles vs the supercar 3R? Ive always thought slicks blew everything else out of the water but the supercar 3R seems like it's really up there
Old 09-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatatony View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm curious what you think about the ultimate grip levels of the NT01 vs a slick with a few heat cycles vs the supercar 3R? Ive always thought slicks blew everything else out of the water but the supercar 3R seems like it's really up there
Wont comment on slicks as it all depends, but longevity wise expect the least vs more as compared to a street tire. Unless you put put pace wise, in which case you shouldn't be on slicks anyway

As far as 100 vs 200 or whatever in between tread rating wise: the current ultra/max street tires are as fast, if not faster than old r-comps such as NT01 and R888 and some of their tread ratings are an absolute sandbags to qualify them as "streets" for various amateur competitions. Tons of tires in this category, incl Camaro 1le and zl1 G3, RE71R, Cup2, etc.

Havent tried them, but G3R is a major step up from G3 grip wise and by many accounts as fast as a Hoosier R7. Another sandbag at 100 tread rating

If you want a very fast, easy to drive on, well priced tire that will last about 7 days, then go with G3 or RE71R.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I like my slicks, they’re about 3-4 seconds faster than NT01’s around a 1:20 course for me (NT01 were 1.5 second faster than sc3) , will have to see how long mine last but you can get 3-4 sets compared to a new set of 100-200 the tires.

There’s definitely a learning curve for slicks though. If you’re not at the top pace of a 200 tw tire and can drive them very well, i wouldn’t jump to slicks. Took me about 20 events before i felt ready for slicks. Everything changes including tire communication and grip at the end of the limit.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I like my slicks, they’re about 3-4 seconds faster than NT01’s around a 1:20 course for me (NT01 were 1.5 second faster than sc3) , will have to see how long mine last but you can get 3-4 sets compared to a new set of 100-200 the tires.

There’s definitely a learning curve for slicks though. If you’re not at the top pace of a 200 tw tire and can drive them very well, i wouldn’t jump to slicks. Took me about 20 events before i felt ready for slicks. Everything changes including tire communication and grip at the end of the limit.
+1 re your comments on slicks.
Regarding NT01...1.5 secs on a 1:20 lap is huge.
Could it have been the nut behind the wheel simply getting faster? Based on my experience, like cars on Nittos have absolutely zero advantage on me with G3s.
Ive also burried my previous PBs on NT01s (when i ran them for a few seasons on a c5z). However, like cars on slicks have a sizable advantage (but ONLY provided the drivers can actually take advantage of them, which is often NOT the case).
Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
+1 re your comments on slicks.
Regarding NT01...1.5 secs on a 1:20 lap is huge.
Could it have been the nut behind the wheel simply getting faster? Based on my experience, like cars on Nittos have absolutely zero advantage on me with G3s.
Ive also burried my previous PBs on NT01s (when i ran them for a few seasons on a c5z). However, like cars on slicks have a sizable advantage (but ONLY provided the drivers can actually take advantage of them, which is often NOT the case).
Could have been. I frequent the said track and have been driving it for nearly four years. However the SC3 sample was my first time out on this track with the camaro. NT01 was about a year later, different pads too. So maybe a little bit of both. Same day from NT01 to slicks was roughly 3.8

I would say a fair assessment would be at barber, same day, same pads. SC3 1:41.2 NT01 1:40.3. So about a second, probably less at the 1:20 track. Haven’t run slicks there yet.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Could have been. I frequent the said track and have been driving it for nearly four years. However the SC3 sample was my first time out on this track with the camaro. NT01 was about a year later, different pads too. So maybe a little bit of both. Same day from NT01 to slicks was roughly 3.8

I would say a fair assessment would be at barber, same day, same pads. SC3 1:41.2 NT01 1:40.3. So about a second, probably less at the 1:20 track. Haven’t run slicks there yet.
What sizes did ya run in Nt01s?