Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Help me value this Rat Rod

Thinking about buying this rat rod for some weekend fun. I’ve never owned anything like this and my biggest fear is that it blows up and I’ve got a brick.

Asking price is $23k and after some back and forth they offered it to me for $15k. I thinks it’s been on the lot for 8-10 months and the price hasn’t changed. Still not sure it’s worth 15k and would appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Maybe I could get it for cheap once the weather turns cold. Here’s my cons:

Obviously lots of amateur/redneck engineering on it
A bit of a rats nest under the hood
Not a powerful engine
No roof
No A/C
No warranty/reliability... lol

Pros

I like the way it looks. It’s unique. That’s it.

Am I nuts for wanting this thing? Any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

https://www.pinnacleautomotivegaller...at%20rod/1599/
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
You talked them down from 23 to 15.... that seems fishy
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
Mpsmith1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
You talked them down from 23 to 15.... that seems fishy
Please explain what you mean. Do you mean I’m fishy or the dealer? I’m assuming you mean the dealer.

Admittedly, I was very surprised when the GM offered that to me. Apparently they aren’t getting many people interested in it. It’s nothing like anything else on their lot.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
yeah, the old "we have alot of interest" tactic...

The bottom line with a car like that is it's worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. 15K isn't a big risk IMO, so glwp.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
Mpsmith1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
yeah, the old "we have alot of interest" tactic...

The bottom line with a car like that is it's worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. 15K isn't a big risk IMO, so glwp.

You may have misread my post. He didn’t say they had a lot of interest. In fact, no one commented about how much interest in it they’ve gotten.

At one point, he wrote me that they “would take 15k just to move it”. And I agree about it being worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #6
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
My opinion is slightly biased as not a fan of "Ratrods". Only a couple I've ever really cared for. However the wiring in that looks nightmarish and would be a little turned of by that drive train. Wouldn't wanna have to work on it or diagnose a problem with all that electrical tape, and rat nest of wiring. If your good at those things and you like it go for it. Personally I think might look for something put together a little better.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
seriously.....with the condition of the RATS NEST under the hood.....unless you are willing to remove EVERY SINGLE STINKIN WIRE and start from scratch I will RUN AWAY!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
Mpsmith1

Thanks everyone
Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
seriously.....with the condition of the RATS NEST under the hood.....unless you are willing to remove EVERY SINGLE STINKIN WIRE and start from scratch I will RUN AWAY!
I agree - that wiring set up looks terrible. So unless you plan on cleaning it up (even then that motor would not look right in this vehicle) or throwing a 350 motor in there....I would not touch it.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
That to me that looks like someones project they ran out of time/money/effort on. Spent all their money effort on getting the looks of the rat rod right, but the wiring and everything else looks like they threw it together to getting it running so they could unload it.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
That thing is a total POS. Even if I liked rat rods, I wouldn't pay $1,000 for it. What a turd!
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #12

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I suggest you go look at some other rat-rods and do some more research. Personally, I think their value is Zero. A nice novelty, but the fun is in building your own. That one looks bad. The wheels and tires don't even have a rat-rod vibe and I doubt it will run without overheating. That front doesn't look like it allows enough air flow...the wiring, no way.
They are supposed to look like junk, not actually be junk.

Consider this a good start, but you need someone's input who has actually built and driven one of these. Unless you have a lot of buddies who are into this and plan on a lot of social gatherings with these cars, I think the novelty of owning one will wear off real fast. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #13
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpsmith1 View Post
You may have misread my post. He didn’t say they had a lot of interest. In fact, no one commented about how much interest in it they’ve gotten.

At one point, he wrote me that they “would take 15k just to move it”. And I agree about it being worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yes, i misread it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Holy cow, I didn't even look at all the pics!

OP...don't buy it.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #14
Mpsmith1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Holy cow, I didn't even look at all the pics!

OP...don't buy it.
Agree.