Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #99
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Sorry for your troubles! Really am. Horrible customer service if it happened as you said.

1. You tracked with the wrong oil. Don’t ever do that again!
2. Asking for a Camaro or Corvette as a loaner is absolutely bonkers crazy. My dealership has never even given me a loaner when I asked. I’d be happy with anything they offered but they sure as hell aren’t giving me a high priced sports car as a loaner, even after purchasing a ZL1, ZL1-1LE, and a couple Corvettes from them, including a Z06.
3. A blown engine is going to take weeks to over a month to get sorted out.

5W30 at Watkins. I thought I’d seen and heard it all.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #100
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
You also have to watch out for warranty blocked vehicles. That doesn't show up on CarFax, etc.
+1 this.

It always pays to take the VIN of any prospect to a trustworthy dealer and ask for the detailed service history and warranty status.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #101
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
Sorry for your troubles! Really am. Horrible customer service if it happened as you said.

2. Asking for a Camaro or Corvette as a loaner is absolutely bonkers crazy. My dealership has never even given me a loaner when I asked. I’d be happy with anything they offered but they sure as hell aren’t giving me a high priced sports car as a loaner, even after purchasing a ZL1, ZL1-1LE, and a couple Corvettes from them, including a Z06.

Didn't see that the wrong oil was used on track. Surprised it is being covered under warranty.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #102
ZL1Kraut

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
That sucks. There may be a lot of bearing debris in there. Did they cut open the oil filter and show it to you? Unfortunately I've seen this in one of my own cars that had rod knock, big chunks of bearing in the filter. Maybe yours shut down prior to the bearings disintegrating.

It's interesting that a spun bearing shut the motor down while the oil pump was still working. A spun bearing doesn't stop a motor unless a rod breaks, as far as I know. Does the ZL1 ECU sense this through knock sensor or similar means and send it into limp mode?
They haven't shown me anything but the pictures I posted on the first page. They claim there is no other damage to any of the bearings, both rod and main. Thing is, it seized at 100mph, this wasn't a stop light at idle sort of deal, so there has to be metal throughout, it just makes sense. I can't see it all just collecting in the pan and that's it.

I would definitely think it would sense knock and adjust timing/fuel accordingly. However there was no warning at all. Oil pressure was fine as well as temperature, so I'm still confused as to why it happened.
ZL1Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #103
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post

I spoke with the dealership that I bought it from and it actually had 0-40 Mobil1, so this is a non-issue. Beyond that, do a little research on the topic and speak to Blackstone Laboratory. They assured me the weight of the oil had NOTHING to do with the failure.

Second, you may think it's bonkers to ask for something similar to what I brought in, however I don't. Agree to disagree.

Third, they've had my car for now 61 days. Is that enough time?
Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #104
ZL1Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Didn't see that the wrong oil was used on track. Surprised it is being covered under warranty.
It had Mobil 1 0-40. Also see above.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #105
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kraut View Post
It had Mobil 1 0-40. Also see above.
Good to know. It's oil pressure drop outs with thinner oil with high g-loading that is a bearing killer on track (along with oil temperature, average rpm, and contamination in the oil). That's why the ZL1 1LE, with it's stickier tires and added aero requires Mobil 1 15w50 on track.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #106
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
I was going to get rid of my ZL1 for a new C8. This post and my own dealings with 2 local GM dealerships convinced me to pass on any future car I’d have to bring to a GM dealership for warranty service. F%ckin GM!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #107
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
I was going to get rid of my ZL1 for a new C8. This post and my own dealings with 2 local GM dealerships convinced me to pass on any future car I’d have to bring to a GM dealership for warranty service. F%ckin GM!
This isn't a GM issue. This is a dealership issue.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #108
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliveguy5 View Post
This isn't a GM issue. This is a dealership issue.
Agreed, This is a slimy dealer period.

After 61 days I would be in my lawyers office having him pen a scud missile.

I don’t envy you your task, but good luck!
Pupilbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #109
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
Hellcat swap it!

I read through this thread, and my god it sounds like a nightmare. I'll never complain again about the extremely minor shit I've put up with.
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #110
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
Hellcat swap it!

I read through this thread, and my god it sounds like a nightmare. I'll never complain again about the extremely minor shit I've put up with.

Shit I would love to see someone do it just so see the grinding of teeth for everyone who saw it.

Seen a few Fox body mustangs with GM power plants and they are always getting hell for it. Ironically only from other ford owners.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #111
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kraut View Post
Production is 05/17

I just got the car on May 1st 2019 from Arrowhead Chevy in Peoria Arizona. It was certified pre-owned and only had 3400 miles on it. The car was absolutely mint minus a few stone chips here or there. The car now has 7700 miles, the majority of them driving it back home to NY. I haven't done anything to the car except having the windshield replaced by safelite as I caught a rock driving through western Texas on the drive home. It had whatever oil they changed it to just before I picked it up, I presume 5w30 Mobil1? The oil monitor showed 70% life left so I figured I would do the track day and then change the oil and a fresh set of tires when I got home.
Bought mine there as well...
Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #112
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
There comes a time in your life where you realize that talking back and forth produces little results. Documenting all interactions, gathering evidence, having these things (that are patently false) explained to you by company personnel (and then documenting the conversation) are the things you do. Then you send a certified return receipt and regular mail letter to the company (dealership) explaining the issues, showing the evidence, and asking for response for recourse in 10 business days. This will be routed either to the legal department or management well above the level you are dealing with and if your concerns are valid, 99% of the time, they will be quickly rectified. Not the part about a camaro loaner, lol, I don't know anyone who does camaro loaners, but otherwise, this letter serves as documented notice. You also ask for all correspondence to be in the form of letter from that point on, once again, documenting it all.

This is basically the precursor to suing them, it gathers all the required information into the forms that will be presented in court. The letter has to be signed for by someone, which means the dealership is "served" official notice of this issue. The regular mail letter is a backup, if you get the return receipt one back but not the regular mail, it shows they are extra-slimy because they refused the certified letter-you still get a presumption of service in civil court because they took the regular mail one. Legal experts will recognize all of this instantly and tell management to settle it out and do the right thing. Those that are too stupid or ignorant to realize that will get creamed in civil court, because again, you collected all of this information and will be handing it over to the judge.

So several times, I've ran into this situation. I start taking pictures, writing down a summary of my conversations with people, naming witnesses, etc. Anyone can do this, it doesn't take any special talents. Have them provide the ridiculous policies and reasons in writing. If they won't commit to this, then simply state it in the letter you send to them. They'll look like an absolute idiot in court.

Sometimes it takes this little "push" to get them to do the right thing, but I've learned it's better to go this route than screw around and around again going back and forth with people that can't be "cornered" to do the right thing. Making this a documented matter and notifying management makes it much easier to "corner" them. You send a copy of this to GM customer service if you have to (I've dealt with them too, was decent, again, with my ducks all lined up).

I'm not a lawyer, but I do work with them and I've been amazed at the results from doing the above in my personal life. Every time, I've gotten a favorable result when a windshield company scratched my instrument cluster (a $2500 instrument cluster, you can imagine they were going to take their sweet time in responding or trying to put me off), when the dealership scraped my bumper on a curb, when they were fixing my car and gave me all sorts of unfounded accusational diagnosis, when my brother was getting screwed around with by a university and their testing process, etc.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote