Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #113
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Yep, and incomes the EV. The masses will love it. Full of features, drives itself, perfect for the lemming commuter. So to my point the mass, masses win. I got automaticed and the automatic guys are going to get EV'd
this is the way.

What we like and value in a car is irrelevant and in some cases, directly opposed by the vast majority of people paying the people who make the things we want.

Those who want to stay on have to find ways to do without such companies.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone with the money and equipment will also like the same things we do and cater to our needs. But more likely, we'll all just have to get good at doing it ourselves if we want something or start liking new things.

I dont see the transformation to EV as negative. I think it'll open up new ways to tinker (probably illegally) and all of that will be interesting and fun. The gear head crowd will continue on, it'll just involve way more soldering irons than it used to. It's not like all the carb lovers stopped wrenching and playing with cars just because everything moved to fuel injection. Those who want to stick to manuals or want to stick to ice will just shift from being able to buy new to buying from third parties that cater to them.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #114
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
this is the way.

What we like and value in a car is irrelevant and in some cases, directly opposed by the vast majority of people paying the people who make the things we want.

Those who want to stay on have to find ways to do without such companies.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone with the money and equipment will also like the same things we do and cater to our needs. But more likely, we'll all just have to get good at doing it ourselves if we want something or start liking new things.

I dont see the transformation to EV as negative. I think it'll open up new ways to tinker (probably illegally) and all of that will be interesting and fun. The gear head crowd will continue on, it'll just involve way more soldering irons than it used to. It's not like all the carb lovers stopped wrenching and playing with cars just because everything moved to fuel injection. Those who want to stick to manuals or want to stick to ice will just shift from being able to buy new to buying from third parties that cater to them.
i am personally excited about it. I have been in tech since I graduated school for Electronics. Many many moons ago. I thrive on tech, in phones, cars, PCs, TVs it is everywhere and I am excited.

My only grip is a home charging system for 3 to 4 vehicles. But it will only be a brief nuisance that I will soon forget after it is complete.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #115
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
I think it'll open up new ways to tinker (probably illegally) and all of that will be interesting and fun. The gear head crowd will continue on, it'll just involve way more soldering irons than it used to. It's not like all the carb lovers stopped wrenching and playing with cars just because everything moved to fuel injection. Those who want to stick to manuals or want to stick to ice will just shift from being able to buy new to buying from third parties that cater to them.
I'd like to see someone "tinker" with an electric motor. They way they're built is all you got, there's no hot cam or hot "magnet" you're gonna slip in and dial the timing in to get more power.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #116
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I'd like to see someone "tinker" with an electric motor. They way they're built is all you got, there's no hot cam or hot "magnet" you're gonna slip in and dial the timing in to get more power.
Think bigger. Software, aftermarket motors...come on man
Old 02-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #117
cellsafemode

replacing the motor controller can significantly alter performance without changing anything else.

the diy ev crowd has been doing the nitty gritty type stuff for decades.

The current gen stuff basically works with tesla components (since they tend to be the best currently available) ...and so lots of aftermarket ready-to-go solutions are not cheap...but there is a diy scene there too. Also, as most cars convert over, the availability of components and aftermarket options will drive prices down.

edit: you'll start hearing people talk about motor controller upgrades (both hardware and software), motor swaps, cable upgrades, transmission upgrades, maybe even battery tech upgrades etc. There's less parts in a ev, but there's also less barrier to entry in tinkering with them. You dont have to have a shop full of specialized tools. i dont think the size of those customers who happily void their warranty will go down with ev's. It's demographics may just shift a bit.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 02-02-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #118
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Think bigger. Software, aftermarket motors...come on man
Meh..... That crap's for the nerds who play video games all day.

My parents bought me an Atari 2600 when it was the thing when I was about 6 years old and I played it about 10 times. I still have it, it's like brand new.

I liked to get my hands dirty and stuff that made loud noises you could feel
Old 02-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #119
cellsafemode

Quote:

My parents bought me an Atari 2600 when it was the thing when I was about 6 years old and I played it about 10 times. I still have it, it's like brand new.

I'm sure the same kind of thing was said when computers started controlling engine combustion.

Probably still said by some really old people.

limiting yourself is always your choice. It's not like getting into one is mutually exclusive to playing with the other.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #120
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
I'm sure the same kind of thing was said when computers started controlling engine combustion.

Probably still said by some really old people.

limiting yourself is always your choice. It's not like getting into one is mutually exclusive to playing with the other.
It's ok in the right balance. Once it's all computers and no oil there's no fun in that.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #121
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
It's ok in the right balance. Once it's all computers and no oil there's no fun in that.
And turning wrenches are a lot easier and more fun than getting stuck writing computer codes.

Some people are into coding. I more see it as a necessary evil. I won't puke if you ask me to learn and do it for a job, but as a hobby? Nope. To me, programming is like trying to teach an extremely stupid child how to do anything.

I could see the more mechanical stuff happening, though I'd think you have to be careful as you are usually dealing with hundreds of volts that can fry you into a crisp if you are not careful.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #122
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And turning wrenches are a lot easier and more fun than getting stuck writing computer codes.

Some people are into coding. I more see it as a necessary evil. I won't puke if you ask me to learn and do it for a job, but as a hobby? Nope. To me, programming is like trying to teach an extremely stupid child how to do anything.

Exactly. There's nothing tangible to show for all the time and concentration you put into it. Maybe if you remove the rev and top speed limiters you'd have something to show lol
Old 02-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #123
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Exactly. There's nothing tangible to show for all the time and concentration you put into it. Maybe if you remove the rev and top speed limiters you'd have something to show lol
That's actually a good point as well.

With a modded car now, you can see everything that's done to it. You open the hood and you can immediately tell. The eye candy value is there.

With an EV... Most of them have the motors and batteries tucked away, so you can't see anything that's done to them. Some also have the controllers tucked away, which you also can't see. Much less eye candy value.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #124
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Yep, and incomes the EV. The masses will love it. Full of features, drives itself, perfect for the lemming commuter. So to my point the mass, masses win. I got automaticed and the automatic guys are going to get EV'd
I realize you are just trying to push a POV, but BEV does not equal self driving car.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #125
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

So what does that make tuners?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #126
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I realize you are just trying to push a POV, but BEV does not equal self driving car.
POV of the future, yes, and currently they are as self driving as they are required to own.