Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #57
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk16SS View Post
Most of the way on a supercharger? Lol you're just halfway there... You're looking at $8000- $10000 including install and tune, depending on which blower you choose. The cheapest in price could be a procharger and I'm only guessing on that. $5600+ $400 on the high flow heat exchanger. What $1000- $1500 to install + another $500- $650 to tune it? So no it ain't cheap either. Flex fuel kit , install and tune is $1000- $1200 so that's a costly move too.. I don't know if it's a best bang for buck deal on these $50k cars...
I would easily install a centri myself, it comes with a canned tune, I'm also waiting on other options not just what is available now, but yeah I would consider $6k for 150hp as good value compared with $4k exhaust (plus install plus tuning) for maybe, someone on a forum says, 40hp

$40 per HP compared with over $100 per hp... it is pretty simple math

Flex fuel with tuning is $1200 (its not its less than $800) and that is "costly", yet a full exhaust for over $4k is good value?...?

Last edited by AndyUK; 12-14-2016 at 01:01 PM.
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #58
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Kooks lt and off road pipes are $ 920 for 15hp about 60 per HP.
You can hand port TB Manifold and cut hole in aur box for free 6hp

Green filter 2 hp for $55

FLEX AND tune 800 for 30 hp

Clearly there are bang for dolls mods short of DO

Blown piston rings and sheered drive shaft are not a problem from simple bolt ins.

Not fear mongering. I had supercharged Challenger and a 2015 supercharged Si so please let's not pretend that there are no drawbacks to 600 HP on stock SS drivetrain
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #59
AndyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

Blown piston rings and sheered drive shaft are not a problem from simple bolt ins.
No cats not an option where I live. I wouldnt be able to self install or tune either, so it still wouldnt be $920 for 15hp for me. Blk was also being quite specific about it not just being headers but a complete nose to tail exhaust system.

I was led to believe that piston rings were a problem north of 650rwhp, do you have links to different info (not arguing, genuinely asking)?

I'm also not worried about drive shaft as I dont drag and it looks like the guys having problems are on slicks.

Either way, even if I dont do FI, I still wouldnt consider a full exhaust system to be good value in terms of dollar per HP.

Last edited by AndyUK; 12-14-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #60
oldman

Full exhaust is not a good value period. There will be stock ZL1 take offs soon. The tread is best bang for dollar the full exhaust was a straw man argument and I treated as such.

With green cats, you would be looking at $1300 plus a 6 hour install.

ANYTHING that adds HP will decrease drivetrain period fundamental truth. TELL YOUR VENDOR TO HONOR A FULL GM WARRENT IF A SUPEECHARGER AIN'T GONNA HURT NUT'EN. LOL

GM already did the research and they concluded: pistons, rods, new spec trans, new lsd, halfshafts, drive shaft and maybe don't know yet a whole third member, aka carrier, aka pumpkin. Was the minimal needed to support a supercharger and warranty.

While the street tires hold some validity, it is torque over a period of application that destroys things. NA really just moves the torque peek around. So to have fun aka drive the torque of a supercharger is going to tax the clutch, trans, shafts, diff and LSD at the minimal. Same fun (limit of traction) on a NA would not really tax any of the above. The weak spot in the engine itself is the high ring land of the hypereutectic piston, it in itself is more for fit that life under boost. I would assume that the ZL1 piston has a lower ring land and hopefully forged.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 12-14-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #61
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I keep seeing comments about adding on tuning costs for adding a supercharger. All of the major kits out there come with the tune included. No need to pay for a custom tune.

Also, it's highly unlikely you're going to "blow an engine up" if you keep within the supercharger kit's basic design and tune. The PD kits now offer 3yr/36K miles warranty. They wouldn't be able to offer any kind of warranty if the kits did cause major powertrain issues. Go outside of their parameters, and yes, you can cause a powertrain failure.

I tend to agree with Andy's viewpoint on LT headers. The several posts on this site trying to give a definitive answer on hp gains with LTs have all pointed to a less than stellar gain for the cost, particularly if you have a shop do the installation.

That said, I may still do headers, but it will be with cats. And if I do headers, it will be low on my priority list, if it makes the list at all.

Last edited by Atomic Ed; 12-14-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #62
AndyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Full exhaust is not a good value period. There will be stock ZL1 take offs soon. The tread is best bang for dollar the full exhaust was a straw man argument and I treated as such

ANYTHING that adds HP will decrease drivetrain period fundamental truth. TELL YOUR VENDOR TO HONOR A FULL GM WARRENT IF A SUPEECHARGER AIN'T GONNA HURT NUTen. LOL
It wasnt a strawman at all, its exactly what Blk said was his suggestion for good bang for buck. Lol.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #63
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
Apparently you need to put a dislaimer on that 11.07 run that it was done in negative 1500 foot DA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
And it was a full moon and out going tide.
You guys are tough. Still it counts! So I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post

I fixed it for ya
I fixed it for me:

I almost want an A10 automatic.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-14-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #64
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
Full exhaust with headers is going to be like, what, $4k?
Even using your 30-40hp (which i struggle with as you wont point to any evidence)
Yes Andy if you include the MSD intake you nailed it on the price in US$. Still not good bang for the buck and I have the scars to show for it. I did it for fun as much as anything and to see what that would do. Now we know.

E85 in the spring for me. And maybe I will need some axles. And later some gears if we see any. It is hard to make the M6 competitive. But maybe more fun. It is too easy to go fast in an A8.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #65
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsh_TxLsx View Post
E85 and tune, hands down, best bang for the buck. And I've sprayed one of these with 150 wet shot on e85 and haven't had fuel shortage issues yet, granted he wasn't full bolt ons. But was still able to go in the 6's with just e85 and nitrous, nothing else.
You say no fuel shortage issue. I am wondering what kind of fuel pressure he's getting on that car while spraying?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #66
oldman

heck the drive shaft, halfshaft, diff, lsd have all shown to marginal under drag conditions, with the torque of N20, I'd say one day at the tracks is about all the performance that setup is good for...
Old 12-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #67
oldman

Quote:
It wasnt a strawman at all, its exactly what Blk said was his suggestion for good bang for buck. Lol.
OK, then it was rather silly. A full exhaust assuming LT at plus 15 already, is 6 to 10 HP. A full exhaust in back of 2nd set of cats is zero to 5. Clearly $1500 and up is not offering a whole lot in this area.

I agree if you go with eyes wide open and get the $7500 PD (price assumed have not priced a PD since I'm NA) with warranty (engine and supercharger only), canned tune and absolutely zero else. That would be a good bang for the buck, limit to street tires. I could not do that. I know I'd be dinky with front cat delete, ZL1 take off, modified stock box, custom tune, e85...... I'm kind of interested in the warranty though, please elaborate.

Last edited by oldman; 12-14-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #68
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Let me in on the joke, I would like to laugh too.... Based on what you said, I never had a suggestion for a good bang for the buck so what you're saying is false. I merely commented on your blanket statement that LT's don't make any power at all basically (your words not mine). That's false also... What you fail to identify with is peak #'s don't tell the whole story. My bud's SS ran the same identical times I did in the summer. Well I was a tick quicker do to my DR's... Dynoed right at the same 391hp... We put on a set of brand X headers and it made 415 with no tune and 421 leaving the shop. In a few spots it picked up as much as 25hp leading up to redline.. Making this even better, it went from 8.10's in the 1/8th to 7.70's spinning... You say you don't drag race, well I've never seen a dyno win a race either so it boils down to what's most important to you. Getting there first or emailing dyno sheets back and forth.... And the best bang for the buck deal depends on how much bang you're trying to get...

Last edited by Blk16SS; 12-14-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #69
oldman

Your figures on this post are believable. Full exhaust 24 HP, 15 from the headers and no cats, 9 from the exhaust, at the upper end imo, but clearly within what I speculated above.

I can attest to the performance of the LT / offroad, the car is significantly faster than the 15 HP peak numbers as there is broad gains under the curve, I don't have full exhaust.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #70
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Yep.

I think it was super chevy cant recall...they gained .4 from headers and 93 octane tune on a stingray. But gains were around 17 hp peak on the dyno. More than that in other areas.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote