Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-07-2022, 02:01 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The Classroom #2: One Way to Build an LT1

Greetings!

We recently finished another project for one of my young 'assistants' and have the 'opportunity' to start another for the older brother.

16 months ago - engineless 1998 Mitsubachi Lancer Evolution 5 (mouthful) that lacked an engine and sat for 6 years broke:

Today - her first car (now with 400 CHP) to learn to drive:

The 'opportunity' is re-powering my 2018 SS 1LE that is sidelined with a motor that, according to the German technician, is 'KAPUT.'

The 33,000 mile chassis survived 14,000 miles with stock and later ported LT4 blower and a K+N filter along with LT4 pump/injectors. Ran wonderful and dynoed at 655 CHP. More power than I could handle on the track...the autobahn was a bit different. ;-)

But the magic smoke leaked out on a 190 mph run and then in grander fashion on a chilly lap of the Nurburgring - requiring nearly 200 pounds of oil dry to clean up (fortunately no others were involved) after it popped at 157 mph on the fastest part of the course. At least a great story to tell...

Nonetheless, my young assistant will be doing the work...he who has built an LS1 (L33), so I'm not sure who will school who in this journey!

No doubt we will make mistakes, but should be entertaining...for us at least.

Plan is to build a large displacement, lower compression (no octane booster!) shortblock topped with OEM heads with lighter valves, incorporate an aftermarket camshaft (to gain rpm/eliminate the DOD) and hopefully reach 7000 rpm redline.

We will maintain the OEM blower for German sensitivities, but upon return to the states may consider a a larger unit. Until then, we will enjoy the stealthiness, reliability, and lightweight option of the factory offering.

The Beginning: ordered a new LT1 block from Pace Chevrolet (last in stock!)...shipping cost $325 from states to Germany - pretty good deal:

Unboxed:

Unwrapped:

More to follow!

Last edited by Tim M; 03-08-2022 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Image adjustment...
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Seems like you were pushing the limits of your original shortblock. You were fortunate to get as much wide open throttle mileage as you did in my opinion. The shortblock needs a build and the valvetrain (DoD) delete needs to be upgraded to survive forced induction for the extended sessions of competitive racing you do, and let's not mention fuel upgrades required and a lack of ethanol availability in your area. Best of luck to you on your current build. My compressor goes on soon on my factory sealed block, however I intend to run mine using ethanol at 0.6 bar (8 lbs) and a free flow exhaust system. Hoping for similar power to your original build using less boost and more timing.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #4
Tim M

1LEornothing: No argument on your comments. It was fun while it lasted...ultimately, I was likely pushing too much boost for track duty/autobahn for the available 98 octane German fuel. I used octane booster to lessen some of the knock I was seeing...timing was dialed back as well. OEM pulleys resulted in nearly 12 pounds...but a long top end run is incredibly hard on equipment.

Minor progress...got the 112 pound block on the engine stand (two sizes of bellhousing bolts!):

Old 03-24-2022, 05:21 PM   #5
Tim M

Finally got a moment to test fit the main bearings and take the block, crank, pistons to the machine shop for verification of sizes and clearances:

Long bolts on the inside!:

Discrepancy right off - #3 is the thrust bearing and the rotating assembly included Mahle/Clevite bearings - the bearing tang is opposite an LS style engine! Quick call to Texas Speed confirmed one is to grind off the tang. Interesting...I supposed the flanges on the side position the bearing sufficiently...slow grind to avoid damage:

Bearing tang removed with delicate touch of a Dremel...seems odd:

My chamfered lower timing gear that Texas Speed neglected to send/install - finally showed up (free shipping though!):

More to folllow!
Old 04-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
Tim M

Very slow movement due to travel and another project...

Received my precision oil dumbbell...because I needed one and seems like a good idea:

The custom Cam Motion camshaft arrived. Smooth idle, yet more power, and no Displacement on Demand lifters! Hoping for an occasional/reliable 7000 rpm redline:

Specs:

Also ordered a couple of fuel pump shims due to the 32% fuel pump lobe on the cam...one from Comp Cams (6 MM) and the other from GM:

Also dropped the block (love the aluminum weight!), crank, pistons to a trusted machine shop for reconfirmation of specs before heading to assembly. I haven't gotten the rods prepped for the same treatment. Hopefully it will make 650 CHP...;-)
Old 05-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Tim M

Slow going, but the machinist is back from Croatia...retrieved the block, crank, rods, pistons...all with a clean bill of health and spot on clearances.

Possibly the first time someone put an LT1 in an Evo 5!

Ok it was in the trunk and backseat...not easy to keep the cornering speed within reason to avoid a rolling block 'oil canning' the trunk walls.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I like the specifications on that camshaft. Have you made a decision on lifters yet?
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #9
Tim M

1LEornothing: We selected Johnson Lifters from Katech - slightly tighter tolerance to the lifter bores, as I understand it.

4.5 months wait for the ARP head bolts to arrive...came with a new GM waterpump. Nice how the pump includes bolts, thermostat, and a temperature sensor - a bolt on for sure.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
Tim M

Other projects are wrapping up and so is the season here in Germany! Bummer, but more progress...

LT4 head gasket arrived...preferred something thinner to regain a bit of compression, but availability was nil. This is the safest option certainly:

Also broke down and purchased a Katech oil pump. Not convinced I need it, but...:

Old 10-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #11
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
I am confident the German will rebuild better and stronger just like after every devastation in history.
Here in the states the VAST majority of us don't have extended 120+mph WOT runs like that. I am also impressed your previous build lasted at 655 chp .

Very excited to see this build progress.
The Evo V build is very nice and clean also. Your children look like they are becoming fine engineers.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #12
Tim M

asthmamax11: Appreciate the comments and confidence! I use the kiddos as an excuse with the CFO of the house...;-)

Finally, starting to look at the Camaro again...pulled the blower top off...bit of oil. Expected as the catch can was full:

Last edited by Tim M; 11-05-2022 at 04:47 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:46 AM   #13
Tim M

Things are starting to move forward:

More parts showed up...time is the issue!

Starting to really miss driving this car (POWER!)...
Old 11-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #14
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Keep the updates coming
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote