Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
sshady

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
GM Warranty Block on 1LE + 2nd gear pop-out

Hey all, I've been going back and forth with my local dealer and GM for a while - curious if anyone else has had GM block their warranty or has advice for me here as I'm at a complete loss.

It all started when I took my 2018 SS 1LE into the dealer for an oil change and requested the 1LE alignment that is specified in the GM supplemental booklet that came with the car. The dealer refused to change the alignment to anything other than the stock SS alignment.

The next time I brought the car in for a warranty issue (the dreaded 2nd gear notchiness & pop-out that is commonly experienced on these transmissions) I learned that the dealer blocked my warranty by stating he believed I would abuse the car in the future based on my request for additional negative camber.

My car is 100% stock, unmodified, always maintained and never raced, etc. etc.

I went through an appeals process for about a year, back and forth with GM, including paying out of pocket for an inspection to prove that the car was unmodified and not abused. The result was that GM is standing behind the warranty block despite the inspection confirming the car was not abused or modified.

At this point no GM dealer wants to touch the car because of the warranty block. I'm really at a loss for what to do, especially for the 2nd gear issue - it sounds like some people have been able to fix it with new/different transmission fluid, some replace the 2nd gear syncros, some have had defective transmission housings.

Also very confused as to what to do with the extended warranty I purchased, I believe that is completely seperate from the manufacture's warranty, but I don't believe it kicks in until the GM warranty expires (in 2023).

Curious if anyone else has had to deal with a warranty block, or has any other routes I could take to get this lifted or how to work around it.

Cheers,
shady
sshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshady View Post
Hey all, I've been going back and forth with my local dealer and GM for a while - curious if anyone else has had GM block their warranty or has advice for me here as I'm at a complete loss.

It all started when I took my 2018 SS 1LE into the dealer for an oil change and requested the 1LE alignment that is specified in the GM supplemental booklet that came with the car. The dealer refused to change the alignment to anything other than the stock SS alignment.

The next time I brought the car in for a warranty issue (the dreaded 2nd gear notchiness & pop-out that is commonly experienced on these transmissions) I learned that the dealer blocked my warranty by stating he believed I would abuse the car in the future based on my request for additional negative camber.

My car is 100% stock, unmodified, always maintained and never raced, etc. etc.

I went through an appeals process for about a year, back and forth with GM, including paying out of pocket for an inspection to prove that the car was unmodified and not abused. The result was that GM is standing behind the warranty block despite the inspection confirming the car was not abused or modified.

At this point no GM dealer wants to touch the car because of the warranty block. I'm really at a loss for what to do, especially for the 2nd gear issue - it sounds like some people have been able to fix it with new/different transmission fluid, some replace the 2nd gear syncros, some have had defective transmission housings.

Also very confused as to what to do with the extended warranty I purchased, I believe that is completely seperate from the manufacture's warranty, but I don't believe it kicks in until the GM warranty expires (in 2023).

Curious if anyone else has had to deal with a warranty block, or has any other routes I could take to get this lifted or how to work around it.

Cheers,
shady
This is the most messed up thing I ever read on this forum. If you have the money contact a lawyer and sue them for the cost to replace the transmission with labor and the amount it costs you to pay for the lawyer. Or sue them that they have to take the car back because they refuse to do the warranty work. This car literally comes with a warranty for track use that works as long as your car is stock which you are saying it is. If you can’t get a lawyer than contact someone higher up in GM. Report this dealer to the better business bureau.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
sshady

One of the key selling points for me buying a new 1LE (over a mustang or bmw) was the warranty. It has been such a disappointment dealing with GM and two friends who were on waiting lists for the Corvette canceled their orders after hearing my story. Very short sighted on the part of both the dealer and GM.

Replacing the transmission is going to be $$$$ out of pocket, with some risk that suing them either doesn't pan out, or that the cost to do so exceeds the cost of the work. So I'm hesitant to go straight there.

Hoping someone here has had some luck getting a warranty "unblocked," my impression is that this is a permanent thing that will always be associated with the VIN.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshady View Post
One of the key selling points for me buying a new 1LE (over a mustang or bmw) was the warranty. It has been such a disappointment dealing with GM and two friends who were on waiting lists for the Corvette canceled their orders after hearing my story. Very short sighted on the part of both the dealer and GM.

Replacing the transmission is going to be $$$$ out of pocket, with some risk that suing them either doesn't pan out, or that the cost to do so exceeds the cost of the work. So I'm hesitant to go straight there.

Hoping someone here has had some luck getting a warranty "unblocked," my impression is that this is a permanent thing that will always be associated with the VIN.

I would suggest just trading that in, but I'm sure that's a big issue too when they see the warranty block on it none of the dealers will want to accept this trade in. If they sell it to someone and their warrant work gets denied then that dealer could get sued.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Odd story.

Guessing half the story is missing here, if not, escalate to regional GM person.

Story probably goes like this:
* Brings in car with mods, dealer denies claim
* Removes mods, dealer flags warranty

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Odd story.

Guessing half the story is missing here, if not, escalate to regional GM person.

Story probably goes like this:
* Brings in car with mods, dealer denies claim
* Removes mods, dealer flags warranty
I'd agree with this.. but I do generally like to give people the benefit of a doubt.

OP I'd sell your car to vroom or something and just take the financial hit that might entail. If it's not a big financial hit, great. A few years of headaches withstanding, it shouldn't be something you lose sleep over.

If it is going to be a big financial hit, then you need to evaluate the situation and plan for the best course of action. You're going to be out of money one way or another. Typically in a lawsuit, the winning party's legal fees are covered by the losing party. You most likely didn't sign anything in regards to suing GM directly, unless you financed with GM Financial, which means they shouldn't put you in a binding arbitration agreement.

You'd need to review the documents signed when you bought the car and all service receipts you signed during this whole ordeal. Hopefully you kept them all.

It's very crappy situation you're in so I'd think about if it's worth it to keep the car or wash your hands of it and move on. Good luck, hope it pans out one way or another
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #7
sshady

See original post: no mods (ever). GM's "Customer Engagement Center" have stated the reason for the block is that the dealer reported that they believed I would abuse the vehicle in the future. GM put this in writing as the justification after I escalated as far as they would allow me through GM customer engagement.

The car has been inspected by two dealers, no mods, no abuse. Putting on my corporate hat, I imagine GM has calculated that a warranty block is less risk for them than unblocking it.

If know how one might identify & reach a regional GM person I would definitely be interested in giving that a shot.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I didn’t mean to imply that you replace the trans first. What I would do is get an estimate from a mechanic to do this, then at the very least call a lawyer and ask them how much it costs for a consultation and decide what you’re doing next. It is very odd that they would flag your car if it’s bone stock. An aggressive alignment does not 100% mean you’re going to abuse the car: you could just want better steering feel.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I didn’t mean to imply that you replace the trans first. What I would do is get an estimate from a mechanic to do this, then at the very least call a lawyer and ask them how much it costs for a consultation and decide what you’re doing next. It is very odd that they would flag your car if it’s bone stock. An aggressive alignment does not 100% mean you’re going to abuse the car: you could just want better steering feel.

On top of all this it sounds like the dealer mechanic is being a total pr*ck to even do something like this to summer knowing it would screw them over.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #10
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
something sounds shady.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #11
sshady

Shady AF! In all seriousness, this forum has been an awesome resource over the years of owning my car, the community + knowledge is definitely one of the perks of owning this car.

For what it's worth, the dealer (specifically the service manager) was not pleasant at all, he was having a very bad day and was having a good time taking it out on customers.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If this was a 1LE-spec alignment, how can it be abuse? That sounds absurd. How can they deny warranty if you haven't even "abused" it yet?

I'd escalate this from a different dealer. This dealer sounds horrible. Where in CA are you?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Something in this story is missing. 1LE's have track specific alignment specs in the Owner's manual performance supplement provided by GM and the drivetrain is covered by warranty for track events. They can't void your warranty because you "might abuse" the car.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I went to a good indy shop for the track spec alignment, FWIW. There is some special process to get the stock camber past I think -1.5 degrees without aftermarket camber bolts and so most dealerships and tire chains don't even know how to do it.

Guess there is also the benefit that the dealership doesn't have to know what they don't have to know. Almost feels like I am doing something illegal.

But yeah, as others said, I would try to sort it out with the corporate before pursuing legal actions.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote