Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Valve cover breather on NA 1SS??

Hi everyone,

I rarely create new threads because I can usually find answers to my questions via search however my searches regarding valve cover breathers mostly resulted in conversations regarding boosted cars.

So, simple question I hope: Is there a benefit to running a valve cover breather (like the Metco that replaces the oil cap) on a NA 1SS that already has a Mishimoto Catch Can? Few minor mods, stock tune for now. I plan to do some track days this year but am not building a race car and plan to stay NA. I also hope to keep this car for a good long time.

Thanks!
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
BDPhoto519

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
The valve covers are already vented from the factory to a catch can mounted near the front of the passenger side head. Both are routed to there, and the 3rd hose goes to your intake tube.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
The simple answer is NO.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
The more complex answer is yes. You could run both breather caps to a Y fitting and into a breather tank then into an oil separater. Then run that line into your valley cover to deposit it there. Pro’s you avoid dirtying your throttle body and looks cool. Drawl back, expensive compared to the system you already have. The current system is more for the environment and EPA regulations. You can vent a the valves in a street car with no problems but with a performance engine at WOT that requires a positive seal crankcase to seal the rings. Plus if you go that route it will effect the vacuum pressure and you might need a brake booster especially if you add a cam. Both systems work. You would need to adjust your AFR so a tune for performance, idle, fuel consumption would be needed. Your tuner could set your car up the right away if you wanted to go that route. Keep your oil clean and change earlier then recommend. I ran valve cover breathers back in he 70’s all the time but that was on a carb set. This camaro set up the in the gen6 seems almost like a closed system, I would be worried if I had a supercharger that can effect the positive venting system to a critical point where you blow your rings.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Not a good idea for your 1SS.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thank you everyone for your answers. I appreciate both the short and sweet and the detailed answers.

I guess I won't be buying a breather anytime soon.

Now to find somewhere else I can spend that money.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote