Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
Jonnydz

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Superspeedways (Daytona) tire pressure and camber

Hi guys this will be my 2nd time at Daytona and about my 15th track day overall. All the other tracks I go to I have around -2.4 camber up front and lower my tire pressure to 28 cold. How about Daytona? I have heard a lot of increase to keep the tire on the bead and get rid of a lot of camber as well. Any info or ideas with facts to back it up will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #2
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Not a Camaro, but I've done nothing different at Daytona on a couple of cars. I don't see a reason for it on a street car.

Make sure you go high as you can - makes for a great photo!
Old 04-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydz View Post
How about Daytona? I have heard a lot of increase to keep the tire on the bead and get rid of a lot of camber as well. Any info or ideas with facts to back it up will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
If you're going to the SCCA Track Night event coming up next month, I'll look for you when I'm there!

I had no issues at Charlotte Roval last year with my usual track alignment -2.8 front and -1.4 rear, starting around 28psi cold to target around 35psi hot. My best minimum speed through the turn 3 & 4 banking there was a little over 130mph so I was expecting no issues with my usual alignment at Daytona but curious to see if anyone else can back that up with their past experience.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I'll be there Thursday. Agree with above, I start at 29, don't go over 35 as stated. Its not Sebring in August, you will be fine, have fun!

Pray for no rain...

As for the turns, it's flatter the higher you go, would not go over 3/4 up to pass someone. The middle seems to be a good balance of distance vs. scrubbing speed speed off.

I'm a "B" driver at best, so try different lines. For me reminding myself to unwind the wheel in turn four is key, getting that wheel straight in a smooth gradual line closer to the wall makes a lot of difference. Other than that, I think turn one is actually something to master, and use the curbs in the bus stop.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
Tango1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
tire pressure for Daytona

Jon,

Last time we were at Daytona I started as per the "Track Preparation Guide" in the manual... it stated for sustained high speed cold pressure - 44psi. I went into it at that psi and was able to run at 158MPH on the front straight.. hot psi never over 52psi (checked at the end of the session)... Tires stayed pretty good...

This time I want to start just a bit lower (38psi) to make sure i keep it a bit lower and less "greasy".

See you on 6 May!

TC
'89 RS 'vert
Tango1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:00 PM   #6
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
TC, that's way too high. That reference is for a mile long straight line. Daytona is like an small road course with some straights which put pressure on the bead.

If your unsure, ask others, but that is way too high....

Come chat with me on the 5th.

Tim
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #7
Tango1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Timbo, Thanks for the info... I always thought that Daytona was considered a high-speed track.. so, I'll use the other psi's recommended from the Track Prep supplement.

TC
'89 RS 'vert
Tango1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydz View Post
Hi guys this will be my 2nd time at Daytona and about my 15th track day overall. All the other tracks I go to I have around -2.4 camber up front and lower my tire pressure to 28 cold. How about Daytona? I have heard a lot of increase to keep the tire on the bead and get rid of a lot of camber as well. Any info or ideas with facts to back it up will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
I started at 28psi cold yesterday (adjusted to account for tires still being warm when I let air out) and it worked well with even wear on all 4 tires. I had to bleed 1-2psi from the right side tires after the first and second sessions to target 35psi hot. Last night the cold pressures were down to 27psi on the driver's side and 26psi cold on the pasenger's side. I'm planning to leave the pressures alone for today's sessions but they will probably come up a bit by the time the event starts due to the sunlight and ambient temperature increase.

My best lap was a 2:07.9 in the last session. If your pace is slower, probably start with pressures a bit higher than mine. The SC3 tires got greasy towards the end of the last session yesterday when I got some clear track and pushed hard even though hot pressures were right at 35psi but fuel level was also down to around 1/4 tank by then which probably contributed to the oversteer.

There's barely enough time to get gas between first and second session. Best to arrive with a full tank and get gas between second and third session. I was burning between 3/8 and 1/2 of a tank of 93 octane gas per 20 minute session at 5mpg.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
cdrptrks

I forgot to mention, 28psi cold starting worked because it was my first ever session at Daytona so I was still getting comfortable and not pushing as hard in the first session. A bit lower might be better for those who have driven this track before.