Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
shadogt
 
shadogt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS V6 M6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 12
V6/LGX TR3160 Clutch replacement

Hey guys,

So my V6/M6 has ~72k miles. I've been dreading this ever since I bought the car (2nd owner).

I think the car needs a new clutch. Anyone have aftermarket suggestions, or had their factory clutch replaced? She bites really high, like an inch from completely out. She used to bite about 3/4 of the way released, but it's been getting progressively higher and higher over the last few months.

The car always 'spun' the clutch with aggressive 1-2 shifts - RPMs climb but speed doesn't, clutch fully out. I've been really careful on hard pulls during the 1-2 shift. I think the original owner had no idea how to shift and prematurely wore the clutch.

I don't need something super aggressive - just looking to get ideas on the best next step.
shadogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Joker75
 
Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 164
I'm sitting at just under 40k, and have had the same issue with my clutch slipping, when making aggressive 1-2, and 2-3 shifts. I even got a "Reduced Power, reduce clutch use" warning on my display, the last time it happened.

The only aftermarket clutches that I have found for the V6, are SPEC clutches, and I have seen some concerning reviews about them wearing out extremely fast. I have no personal experience with them, but thought I'd let you know what I'd seen.

Hopefully, mine doesn't completely take a crap, until some of the better known, aftermarket clutch manufacturers start making clutches for our cars.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
dpevans
GR 2016RS
 
Drives: 2016 Garnet Red RS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 917
https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...des-s/5496.htm
this is the only aftermarket clutch I could find. Slim pickings for LGX.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
shadogt
 
shadogt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS V6 M6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 12
Thanks Joker!
I think I want an aftermarket clutch since the I'm doing AutoX and Track Days with mine. SPEC is the only brand I've found too. Haven't seen reports of fast wear, however.



(I found what could be the OEM clutch, but at under $150, I doubt it.) - NOPE. I bet that's the AC Compressor clutch&pulley assembly.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-p...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D



Not sure if I'll go cheap OEM for longevity, or faster wear aftermarket. SPEC's Stage2 might perform really well so I might just try it since I won't need a new flywheel.
shadogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
shadogt
 
shadogt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS V6 M6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 12
Thanks dpevans!


Yeah, pickings are super slim.

With AutoX and Track Day use, SPEC might be my only option.



(I found what could be the OEM clutch, but at under $150, I doubt it.) - NOPE. I bet that's the AC Compressor clutch&pulley assembly.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-p...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D



Not sure if I'll go cheap OEM for longevity, or a faster wear aftermarket. SPEC's Stage2 might perform really well so I might just try it since I won't need a new flywheel.
shadogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
Camrochris
 
Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: VA
Posts: 13
I found a 3160 manual teans LGX 3.6 clutch kit and press plate

I am having n h the same problem. I found d the answer at Rock Auto.
3160 LGX 3.6 liter manual trans "clutch kit"$250.
Then there is the pressure plate for $133
This is just the OEM clutch. I have an Edelbrock Supercharger. My current clutch lasts 45mins until it slips with the same symptoms you are describing g.

It is in stock and I am having mine shipped directly to my shop. He keeps "waiting on. Delco".

I am DONE WAITING. He is going to install an OEM clutch. It will hold up to 600 lb ft and 460 RWHP. But using it sparingly is obviously recommended. Just go to Rock Auto or GM parts direct.

Hope this helps my six-er brothers.

camroChris
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #7
Camrochris
 
Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: VA
Posts: 13
I found a 3160 manual teans LGX 3.6 clutch kit and press plate

I am having the same problem. I found the answer at Rock Auto.
3160 LGX 3.6 liter manual trans "clutch kit" $250.
Then there is the pressure plate for $133.00
This is the OEM clutch. I have an Edelbrock Supercharger. My current OEM clutch lasts 45mins until it slips with the same symptoms you are describing. It was damaged by a previous installer who hired a con artist. I ran a background check and what I found on Darrell R Darnell was outrageous.
33 convictions. Fugitive from justice. No ASE certifications. He screwed my car all up. With 6.9k he fried what was left of my clutch. I have the same engagement issues. 6" of dead space and either the clutch is in or out at the very top. Then if you watch your trans temp guage it will start to slip after 30 mins of use or as soon as the temp goes over 120° to 170°."clutch overuse information". Also, 1st to 2nd is like shifting into a bowl of mashed potatoes. The engine reduces power so the clutch will engage. Either way its shot and needs replacement.

It is in stock at Rock Auto with a 1 day ship delay. and I am having mine shipped directly to my shop. New shop Master Mechanic keeps "waiting on. Delco". Well, may car has been in a shop or hobbled since 07/15/2021. I'm tired of it being in the shop.

I am done waiting. He is going to install an OEM clutch. It will hold up to 600 lb ft and 468 RWHP according to GM and my installer. But using it sparingly is obviously recommended. Just go to Rock Auto or GM parts direct. *GM parts direct will not accept refunds.
www.rockauto.com

Hope this helps my six-er brothers. The S/C is tuned and now delivers 448RWHP on 93 octane. 410 on 91 octane. But if the clutch slips there is not much use for a tune.

I hope this helps.

camroChris
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #8
Camrochris
 
Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: VA
Posts: 13
I have those exact symptoms. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting into a bowl of mashed potatoes. The computer is lowering output to help the clutch "hook". It now has a "clutch overuse warning".
Not from my overuse, but the person who broke it before I owned it. I also experience no feel 99% through the clutch pedal travel, then it abruptly engages...or stalls out. Terrible.
Finding a performance clutch is near impossible, and from a brand that I am not familiar with
So, replacing the 3160 6 speed manual with an OEM KIT plus the pressure plate snd an alignment tool is what I ordered.
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #9
BOSE ZO
 
BOSE ZO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS LGX/TR3160
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Capital Region, NY
Posts: 40
I've had my spec stage 1 clutch about 50k miles. So far so good and it has been abused on occasion. Its a different feel than the stocker, bites slightly harder once it breaks in. I'd buy another one. My factory unit I shattered at the drag strip lol, so I wanted something a bit stronger.
__________________
LorenZo
2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS -The Giant Black SEALION-
LGX/TR3160 w/BOZE!!!!!
ig: rapidtransit
BOSE ZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #10
shadogt
 
shadogt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS V6 M6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE ZO View Post
I've had my spec stage 1 clutch about 50k miles. So far so good and it has been abused on occasion. Its a different feel than the stocker, bites slightly harder once it breaks in. I'd buy another one. My factory unit I shattered at the drag strip lol, so I wanted something a bit stronger.
Thank you! Finally an LGX review of a Spec! I was honestly thinking of a spec since I didn't want to have this same headache again in 50k miles of spirited driving.
shadogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #11
shadogt
 
shadogt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro RS V6 M6
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camrochris View Post
I have those exact symptoms. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is like shifting into a bowl of mashed potatoes. The computer is lowering output to help the clutch "hook". It now has a "clutch overuse warning".
Not from my overuse, but the person who broke it before I owned it. I also experience no feel 99% through the clutch pedal travel, then it abruptly engages...or stalls out. Terrible.
Finding a performance clutch is near impossible, and from a brand that I am not familiar with
So, replacing the 3160 6 speed manual with an OEM KIT plus the pressure plate snd an alignment tool is what I ordered.
Thanks for the info Chris. What did the shop charge you for install? Chevy here in St. Louis quoted me $2,500, bringing my own parts! Did you go thru a trusted mechanic instead?
shadogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #12
BOSE ZO
 
BOSE ZO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS LGX/TR3160
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Capital Region, NY
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadogt View Post
Thank you! Finally an LGX review of a Spec! I was honestly thinking of a spec since I didn't want to have this same headache again in 50k miles of spirited driving.
Yeah well, I really wanted a heavy duty disc that I could take in traffic.... So stage one it was as its organic. Really what they do is they rebuild the GM unit with their own friction. Got a new flywheel and slave and master cylinder as well, lol I really blew the factory shit up. I also got the Hurst short throw while under there. Definitely worth it, totally recommend that shifter.
__________________
LorenZo
2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS -The Giant Black SEALION-
LGX/TR3160 w/BOZE!!!!!
ig: rapidtransit
BOSE ZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:05 PM   #13
BOSE ZO
 
BOSE ZO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS LGX/TR3160
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Capital Region, NY
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camrochris View Post
I am having the same problem. I found the answer at Rock Auto.
3160 LGX 3.6 liter manual trans "clutch kit" $250.
Then there is the pressure plate for $133.00
This is the OEM clutch. I have an Edelbrock Supercharger. My current OEM clutch lasts 45mins until it slips with the same symptoms you are describing. It was damaged by a previous installer who hired a con artist. I ran a background check and what I found on Darrell R Darnell was outrageous.
33 convictions. Fugitive from justice. No ASE certifications. He screwed my car all up. With 6.9k he fried what was left of my clutch. I have the same engagement issues. 6" of dead space and either the clutch is in or out at the very top. Then if you watch your trans temp guage it will start to slip after 30 mins of use or as soon as the temp goes over 120° to 170°."clutch overuse information". Also, 1st to 2nd is like shifting into a bowl of mashed potatoes. The engine reduces power so the clutch will engage. Either way its shot and needs replacement.

It is in stock at Rock Auto with a 1 day ship delay. and I am having mine shipped directly to my shop. New shop Master Mechanic keeps "waiting on. Delco". Well, may car has been in a shop or hobbled since 07/15/2021. I'm tired of it being in the shop.

I am done waiting. He is going to install an OEM clutch. It will hold up to 600 lb ft and 468 RWHP according to GM and my installer. But using it sparingly is obviously recommended. Just go to Rock Auto or GM parts direct. *GM parts direct will not accept refunds.
www.rockauto.com

Hope this helps my six-er brothers. The S/C is tuned and now delivers 448RWHP on 93 octane. 410 on 91 octane. But if the clutch slips there is not much use for a tune.

I hope this helps.

camroChris
The Clutch Kit is the disc and the pressure plate. You can buy both individually as well. The flywheel is quite pricy since its a dual mass unit, it also comes with the flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts are sold separate. I know Spec makes an aluminum single mass but I would imagine it would take all the smoothness out of the engagement....
__________________
LorenZo
2018 CHEVROLET Camaro LS -The Giant Black SEALION-
LGX/TR3160 w/BOZE!!!!!
ig: rapidtransit
BOSE ZO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
clutch problems, lgx

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.