Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Coilover Install

Hey guys, my Megan Coilovers just came in. Is there a thread on here detailing how to install coilovers? I've found some videos out there with spring installs and I know they're basically the same process, but just as a precaution I'd like to know if theres some instructions out there for coilovers, lol. Also, from what I've been reading, there's some torque to yield bolts that are going to have to be replaced since they're one time use, does anyone know the part number so I can go ahead and buy those?
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Hey guys, my Megan Coilovers just came in. Is there a thread on here detailing how to install coilovers? I've found some videos out there with spring installs and I know they're basically the same process, but just as a precaution I'd like to know if theres some instructions out there for coilovers, lol. Also, from what I've been reading, there's some torque to yield bolts that are going to have to be replaced since they're one time use, does anyone know the part number so I can go ahead and buy those?
THe phastek video is pretty comprehensive. Only thing is their tech made moving the e-brake line much easier than it really is. I tore the outer sleeve - but not significantly.

Also - watch how your control arms and various other bits line up properly when you re-install stuff - mine didn't - and if you don't watch it you can tear your bushings.

An impact gun is highly recommended - as these bolts are super tight - and the bolt for the sway bar end links requires you hold it with a 6mil allen wrench while turning the nut.

I used a small jack to compress the suspension, while the car was on stands.

Otherwise - it's just nuts and bolts. Nothing really technical - just hard work.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post
THe phastek video is pretty comprehensive. Only thing is their tech made moving the e-brake line much easier than it really is. I tore the outer sleeve - but not significantly.

Also - watch how your control arms and various other bits line up properly when you re-install stuff - mine didn't - and if you don't watch it you can tear your bushings.

An impact gun is highly recommended - as these bolts are super tight - and the bolt for the sway bar requires you hold it with a 6mil allen wrench while turning the nut.
Thanks! I had went into the car earlier and noted that I did not have that allen wrench size! Now I know which to buy.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post

An impact gun is highly recommended - as these bolts are super tight - and the bolt for the sway bar requires you hold it with a 6mil allen wrench while turning the nut.
Regarding those TTY bolts, you know anything about those? Or am I completely confusing them for something else?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
Regarding those TTY bolts, you know anything about those? Or am I completely confusing them for something else?
I talked to Abel Chevrolet about them today. Abel is VERY heavy into the racing scene - so I believe what they tell me.

They said they haven't had any trouble re-using the bolts.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
I any one would know it would be Abel.

Is there a link to the Phasetek install video? I can't seem to find it.
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Why did you choose Megan coilovers over BC??
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Cause he likes cheap Chinese parts for his camaro ? Lol
Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I had Megan's on a Honda Accord, Blew 2 shocks out, within a year as a normal DD...… I was not impressed…

Last edited by Glen e; 08-08-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
SSDanny

Well one, BC and Megan are both made by BC LOL. I'm not donating an extra coin for a TINY bit better coilover that I daily drive the car with. I had Megan's on my previous Evo VIII and they worked great for 2 years till I sold the car. Also, I ended up just saying **** it and I dug into my suspension and figured how to put them on, wasn't too hard.