Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
A8 transmission track prep instructions

Hi All,

I am wondering if someone has the actual dealer service instructions on how to prep the A8 transmission for track use? I live super far from a dealer and would rather do it myself. I don't track much but Idrive the Sierras of Cali and I use the full capacity of this wonderful auto. Thanks. I have searched the threads but didn't find the actual instructions. It seems that the dealers should ask us and make it part of the "dealer prep".
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I don't have the actual steps, but did read them over the shoulder of my dealer. It involves getting the transmission fluid up to a very specific temp, and using their diagnostics computer to send special codes to open various valves in the transmission. This isn't something that can be reproduced at home, unless you've got the diagnostics computer. The flip side of that coin is: They are basically just "checking" the fluid level, whether or not they actually add anything is anyone's best guess. The real reason for doing it is to have the Dealer's word (in writing) that the procedure was done so you can maintain the warranty if anything goes wrong after tracking it. If you do it yourself, no warranty.

Is it even necessary? Probably not. It's just one of those "Pay to Play" little bits of insurance in case something bad happens.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Thanks Det. I'll schedule my appointment
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Any idea what this should cost?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
My Dealer quoted me $60 when I first called it in. I can't remember if that's what they finally ended up charging me or not. (I got a few things done at the time). But it's a good ball park figure for sure.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
My Dealer quoted me $60 when I first called it in. I can't remember if that's what they finally ended up charging me or not. (I got a few things done at the time). But it's a good ball park figure for sure.
OK Thanks. I have a call into my SA and that is good ammo.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Got this service for "free" as part of the GM A8 cooling line recall
Old 02-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Got this service for "free" as part of the GM A8 cooling line recall
Good to know, I will try that when I take mine in!
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

I just went in for the tranny line recall. They said that they need to order the part and will do the track tranny stuff at the same time the replace the line.

Like DetCam stated above, it doesn't involve adding fluid or anything. They need to bring it to 131 degrees to check the level. Then they need to bring it to 194 degrees and check the level. Then let it cool down 100 degrees and check it again. All the while checking codes. It's a little more than this but that's the jest of what I saw. I forgot to ask for a print out. Like mentioned, it sounds like it is more for them to be able to say "you tracked it without bringing it in for us to check so sorry but we can't warranty that." For any of you other track rats out there I would definitely get this done to cover your butt.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I just went in for the tranny line recall. They said that they need to order the part and will do the track tranny stuff at the same time the replace the line.

Like DetCam stated above, it doesn't involve adding fluid or anything. They need to bring it to 131 degrees to check the level. Then they need to bring it to 194 degrees and check the level. Then let it cool down 100 degrees and check it again. All the while checking codes. It's a little more than this but that's the jest of what I saw. I forgot to ask for a print out. Like mentioned, it sounds like it is more for them to be able to say "you tracked it without bringing it in for us to check so sorry but we can't warranty that." For any of you other track rats out there I would definitely get this done to cover your butt.
I look at it a little differently; don't care how they check and what procedure they follow as long as I have in writing that trans fluid level checked for track activity.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
I look at it a little differently; don't care how they check and what procedure they follow as long as I have in writing that trans fluid level checked for track activity.
I think we mean the same thing and maybe I worded it wrong. By having it done, you can say "I did your procedure" and they can't say "sorry, you didn't do our procedure". It's more of a checks and balances procedure than it is any adjustments it seems.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Any link to this track procedure, I haven't heard of this.

Last edited by glenB; 02-11-2017 at 06:02 PM.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #13
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Is this in the owners manual or warranty guide?

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Going to bump this because not much info out there. Does anyone know if this has to be done before every track event? Is it valid for a certain time prior to the event?
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
track, track prep, transmission