Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
1LE Satin/Matte Black Paint

In regards to the satin (or matte) black paint on the front splitter, rear spoiler, side mirrors and rear diffuser, the paint code that GM uses seems to be a big mystery. I know that a few people have been able to match the paint using House of Colors paint and the like. That's great, but I'd like to see if we can lock down the actual GM paint code.

So, along with putting in an order for some touch-up paint for my 1LE (in krypton), I ordered three (3) different versions of a GM black paint used on Chevy products to test. Hopefully, one hits the mark.

What I have on order:

-WA848 ("interior") Black; 6G Camaro application
-WA8555 ("wheel") Black; 6G Camaro application
-WA848/WA8555 ("matt"); C7 Corvette application

I'll post up how they match in a few weeks when the paint comes in.

P.S.

The paint code of WA600R has been mentioned before, and it doesn't seem that is it. Someone on here said they tested it and it was too brown/yellow. I believe that color is the color used on the dash surround.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
This should be interesting.
Like the "Where's Waldo?" of satin black paint.... or is it matt black?

I've heard the splitter, mirrors, spoiler, and diffuser are all a little different.

My mirrors appear shinier than my splitter and spoiler, though I haven't had the pieces right next to each other either, so not sure.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
This should be interesting.
Like the "Where's Waldo?" of satin black paint.... or is it matt black?

I've heard the splitter, mirrors, spoiler, and diffuser are all a little different.

My mirrors appear shinier than my splitter and spoiler, though I haven't had the pieces right next to each other either, so not sure.
I was just looking at my car real close tonight and it could be that there are differences. For example, the mirrors definitely look to be GBA/WA8555, just with a satin clear. The front splitter looked to be a little less deep black, and more of an actual matte/satin.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
They're all painted at different times and places by the suppliers so I'm not surprised at all that there are slight differences.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
RedDragonSS2.0

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Please share your findings as I need to touch up as well.

Rotofab Intake, Borla 60606 Midpipes, Corsa Extreme Axleback
RedDragonSS2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Splitter, Spoiler, and Mirrors are Satin Black. Hood is wrapped Matte black.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Mountain

All right, so, I got the paints in. I will post some pictures later, but I will make these comments for now:

-The front splitter and rear spoiler look to be the same paint/paint process.
-The side-view mirrors look to be very close to the front splitter and rear spoiler, but the paint process is a little different.
-The rear diffuser, to me, looks to either be a different paint or just a completely different paint process, as it does not closely match the other 1LE "satin" parts. I'll take a second look today at this, when I get home, before I post up pictures.
-The 1LE "satin" parts (front splitter, side-view mirrors, rear spoiler and rear diffuser) do NOT look to be a satin or matte-specific paint. The "satin" look seems to be from how the clear coat is processed/applied. This is what creates the look - the clear coat.

The paints I got all look nearly identical. They are all so close, I think if either were used, and the clear coat applied correctly, you wouldn't notice. It looks like an addition reducer, or just more of it, is used in the clear that goes over the "satin" 1LE parts. If you look at the clear of the 1LE parts, you will see, and feel, that they seem to have extreme "orange peal".
Old 05-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
When i had ask this question a while back i was told that the paint is the same black code. The satin is the clear that has 40% reducer applied. The name of said reducer i dont recall
Old 06-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
Just wondering if you have gotten any further with this. I was informed earlier today that my ZL1 skirts (unpainted) have been shipped and was planning on painting them myself.

I'm still looking into the satin clear paint/process to get it right. I even have a young man I know at a local Chevy dealership (works in the paint shop) offering his assistance.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Brought my 1LE to the dealership body shop to discuss removing the matte black vinyl hood wrap and painting the hood to match the mirrors, spoiler, and splitter. The body shop manager said they could try to match up the color as close as possible but couldn't guarantee it would be exact. I asked how they could paint the spoiler, splitter, or mirrors if they were damaged, and he said those parts come pre-painted from the supplier, and he didn't have a paint code. So he claimed that rather than paint a damaged spoiler, splitter, or mirror, they would just replace them.

Not sure I believed all that, but that's what he said.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Mirrors might be tricky, but its pretty easy to wrap the splitter and spoiler in a satin black that looks OEM. I found a good deal on an OEM gloss black splitter and had it wrapped satin to go on the 1LE.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
The colors are so close that IMHO you can call them the same; the differences are in the texture and your point of viewing them. Xpel Stealth PPF on these surfaces really evens them all out - I’ll post pictures from my installation last week as soon as weather permits.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
In regards to the satin (or matte) black paint on the front splitter, rear spoiler, side mirrors and rear diffuser, the paint code that GM uses seems to be a big mystery. I know that a few people have been able to match the paint using House of Colors paint and the like. That's great, but I'd like to see if we can lock down the actual GM paint code.

So, along with putting in an order for some touch-up paint for my 1LE (in krypton), I ordered three (3) different versions of a GM black paint used on Chevy products to test. Hopefully, one hits the mark.

What I have on order:

-WA848 ("interior") Black; 6G Camaro application
-WA8555 ("wheel") Black; 6G Camaro application
-WA848/WA8555 ("matt"); C7 Corvette application

I'll post up how they match in a few weeks when the paint comes in.

P.S.

The paint code of WA600R has been mentioned before, and it doesn't seem that is it. Someone on here said they tested it and it was too brown/yellow. I believe that color is the color used on the dash surround.

A paint store said the only black coming up for my car was WA8555 work the same?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
A paint store said the only black coming up for my car was WA8555 work the same?
See post #7, last paragraph.

Sorry I haven't followed up on this, as I wanted to buy a "satin" clear to test them out. Reading up on satin clears, you need to shoot them without any follow up handling. Meaning, you do not buff/rub the clear when done - you shoot and let dry. The end. If you mess up on the laying of it, you re-do it.