Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
fxdxron1

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Batteries

They load test the batteries out of the car and they say they fail. Sounds like throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks.
fxdxron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
fxdxron1

Battery

They load test the batteries out of the car and they say they fail. This is what is on the service order I get. Sounds like throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks. Just remember new cars are so complex nobody can everything.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #17
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Had a parasitic drain on a different car and I would need a new battery every 8 months. The car would go dead in 4 to 5 days without use. Somehow this wrecked 3 of my batteries until I got sick of it and traded it in. So it might not be the batteries. It happened on interstate and AC Delco batteries.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #18
fxdxron1

Battery

Parasitic draw has been tested by the dealer. New cars have much more draw when off than the older ones.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This sounds like we need to see the diagram of exactly what the audio shop installed on the car. I suspect there are items that are remaining in circuit even when power is off. Audio shops love to say you need capacitors even when that is not the case.
Not sure what you mean by "RPM's not working," but I'll assume that means tachometer. Sounds like something might be interfering with the one of the data buses. There is an rpm feed to the audio amp on many gen6 camaros, so I have to wonder if the audio shop terminated that or left bare wire hanging. So, also need to know your audio system starting point (i.e. how many cylinders on the engine and bose or non-bose).
My bet: (unnecessary) capacitor was installed and has internal short draining battery.

Last edited by ctrlz; 12-30-2017 at 06:59 PM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This sounds like we need to see the diagram of exactly what the audio shop installed on the car. I suspect there are items that are remaining in circuit even when power is off. Audio shops love to say you need capacitors even when that is not the case.
Not sure what you mean by "RPM's not working," but I'll assume that means tachometer. Sounds like something might be interfering with the one of the data buses. There is an rpm feed to the audio amp on many gen6 camaros, so I have to wonder if the audio shop terminated that or left bare wire hanging. So, also need to know your audio system starting point (i.e. how many cylinders on the engine and bose or non-bose).
My bet: (unnecessary) capacitor was installed and has internal short draining battery.
I had the audio shop disconnect all wiring of the sound system. Pretty much pulling out all the wiring it had from the installation. Mine was non-Bose and it’s a V8. I didn’t have a capacitor installed. But who knows, it could be that it was a bad installation. As of now, the dealership stil doesn’t know what’s wrong with it. They just told me that they would get back to me until Tuesday. You would think that Chevy would be able to tell if there was a short because of the sound system but as of now, nothing yet.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
No i haven’t done anything to electrical system. I asked the shop where I had my audio system installed that question but no they didn’t. My car is still in the dealership so I’m sure they still have no clue what’s going on.
You haven't done anything to the electrical system?

But you had an audio system installed.

Bingo.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #22
Calvear0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
You haven't done anything to the electrical system?

But you had an audio system installed.

Bingo.
Yeah I realized I was way off in that response. My bad. But so far they haven’t found the issue. If it is some bad wiring from the audio installation then I hope Chevy can find that issue unless they don’t have techs qualified for that.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
ummm bad starter? you said it was smoking... that's not normal. a bad starter can require more amps to crank your engine than a good starter so.... that's my guess.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 AM   #24
Calvear0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
ummm bad starter? you said it was smoking... that's not normal. a bad starter can require more amps to crank your engine than a good starter so.... that's my guess.
That’s what I told the srvice advisor. He even saw when the smoke was coming out from what he said looked like the starter. That was 3 days ago. I have to wait until Tuesday now to see if they find anything.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
Calvear0

Update: Chevrolet dealer called me and said my starter solenoid was burnt. Hopefully that fixes my problem.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #26
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
Update: Chevrolet dealer called me and said my starter solenoid was burnt. Hopefully that fixes my problem.
I will never understand why the simple, obvious problems are the last things always to be checked...even when pointed out first, they still go overlooked for something deeper. Then after wasted money, time and anxiety, they find the obvious elephant in the room.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #27
DGibson969

Drives: 2017 RS LTG 4 2LT
Three problems contributing to these dead battery situations! 1. Smart charging systems: They only charge, or put out 13.6v to 14.1v when the battery is at a certain voltage. The the system stays at a regulated 12.5v or so to maintain the system. This is all for fuel savings, and to not overheat the AGM batteries! 2. AGM batteries after being run dead once, will damage its ability to perform as a dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery. The deep cycle portion of a AGM battery could be non-existent by design in GM batteries! Optima and many others are responding to the need for these stronger batteries. 3. GM is weight conscience so they are putting the lightest batteries they can get away with in their electronic loaded vehicles! Expecting you as a consumer will drive your car once every two three days. It also has changed its recommendation of battery replacement to 2.5 yrs so it doesn't to pay for it themselves. I thought I bought a 40,000 dollar muscle car, but instead got a plug in electric golf cart. LOL
DGibson969 is offline   Reply With Quote