Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Craig Hili

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS convertible
Nice car, annoying little problems

I'm almost 48. This 2016 Camaro SS convertible is the biggest turd I've owned in many cars. It's about the crappy designing and piss poor quality of some of the parts. If I could fix a few things about it, I might hate it less.

- anybody know what to do about the rear window delaminating?
- anybody have an idea how to make the engine fan not go full blast for no reason? I disconnect the battery and it's fine for a while, but Wtf.
- the sliding cover plates get hung up on the regular ; is there a fix for that?

Thanks all. I enjoy the speed and like the handling, but these nickel and dime issues are an embarrassment to Chevy.
Craig Hili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Trade it in on a new Camaro or another car of choice. Sounds like you have a lemon and it will probably get worse over time. No need to spend a lot of money on getting it fixed especially since the warranty is gone. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hili View Post
I'm almost 48. This 2016 Camaro SS convertible is the biggest turd I've owned in many cars. It's about the crappy designing and piss poor quality of some of the parts. If I could fix a few things about it, I might hate it less.

- anybody have an idea how to make the engine fan not go full blast for no reason? I disconnect the battery and it's fine for a while, but Wtf.
- the sliding cover plates get hung up on the regular ; is there a fix for that?

Thanks all. I enjoy the speed and like the handling, but these nickel and dime issues are an embarrassment to Chevy.
Can’t help with the heater issue... but, do go to the convertible section. The delamination and sliding panel questions will be answered.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
It sounds as thought many of your issues are related to it being a convertible. It would also be interesting to see the use (mileage) of the car, and the amount of it's life it has been stored outside.

I see you're in FL. You probably know better than I do, assuming you live there, but from my experience the cars like to run their fans wide open with that FL heat/humidity. That seems especially true for the performance vehicles, again, from my limited experience.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
It sounds as thought many of your issues are related to it being a convertible. It would also be interesting to see the use (mileage) of the car, and the amount of it's life it has been stored outside.

I see you're in FL. You probably know better than I do, assuming you live there, but from my experience the cars like to run their fans wide open with that FL heat/humidity. That seems especially true for the performance vehicles, again, from my limited experience.
Convertible plus first year model/platform.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:

As someone else noted, the window delam has been discussed a lot in the vert section.

The fan issue is also an easy one. There are threads here on it. It's usually just the engine coolant thermostat. It gets stuck open or partially open and the engine doesn't come up to temp enough for the ECU, so the ECU "thinks" the temp sensor is bad and runs the fan at full speed (probably a "failsafe" mode programmed into the ECU. Kinda clever actually).

The sliding cover plates hanging up on the "regular"?? I assume you mean the vert mechanism cover panels right behind the rear quarter windows? There's a TSB for that. It's also discussed a lot in the vert section here.

I have none of the those problems on my 16 SS vert, but I've only had it for about 17 months, and only driven it 2200 miles in maybe 6 of those.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:50 AM   #7
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
I also have NONE of these problems. Bought My car New in 16 and its been a Good car, Not without a few problems( Trans flush,slow start) are the big ones.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #8
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Trust me, it could be worse. LOTS WORSE!!

The window delamination is a new top. I would not mess around with getting it "fixed" Just get a new top. About $2K if my memory is correct. I personally think that is BS being that GM knew and knows about the problem. My 2020 had this happen. But I got the top replaced under warranty.

As stated go to the vert section there are threads about the panels sticking.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I think you forfeit the right to bitch when you buy used 5 year old cars. Ask how to fix it but don't be a 48 year old whiny bitch about it.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Craig Hili

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS convertible
Thanks for the responses gents.

Me (and the vehicle) have spent ~71000 miles since new driving the 2016 Chevy Camaro SS convertible between ST. Augustine, FL (I live there seven months out of the year) and Morehead City, NC (the remainder). While I absolutely reserve the right to be a whiny bitch whenever I'd like to be, I'm old enough to remember when people didn't just run off at the mouth because they weren't able to hide behind a screen in mommy's basement; there were consequences. WhiteMale, if you'd like to discuss the finer points of that statement, PM me and maybe we can work out an in-person solution. I'm sorry your dad wasn't around to teach you these things, I'm happy to help. Other than that, we're done talking. You'll just be ignored from here on in. Internet arguments and trolls aren't my thing.

To the guy with the slow starter- been there, fixed that with this thing. It would seem that this is a common problem on these, and once I replaced the starter (took me four hours, lol, moving exhaust parts and the works, maybe you'll be faster) it's been a non-issue. It got so bad by the time I hit 60k miles that it just plain wouldn't start.

The comment about not throwing good money after bad is well taken. What made me start thinking about all these issues and what to do next is a track day I did with friends this past weekend (SCCA event in Roanoke Rapids) where I saw several newer looking Camaros making great times and heard from the owners that the cars were easy to maintain and a pleasure on the track and off. The car I drove there is the first car I've driven competitively that had a paddle shift (Aventador S, rented for the occasion, I don't have it like that) and they've come a long way. I may be ready for a paddle shift car if they're going to shift like that. I've also heard that some places won't let you race a convertible unless you have all kinds of roll bar protection that wouldn't work well with the top going up and down.

So y'all's experiences with these newer Camaros? Am I understanding correctly that getting into a new hardtop model might get rid of all these annoying issues and keep me grinning? Because there's a LOT to like about the car. The milage on the highway is astoundingly good, it rides nice and handles well (although I always run in track mode, so I won't bother with the mag ride again, I'll just set it up how I like it and leave it alone), it's respectably quick and it looks mean as hell.

OK, I know I'm writing a book here, so last question, I promise- if I wind up moving to a different Camaro (I'm selling the POS I have now regardless, no more good money after bad) which one is the one to go with if you want a streetable car that performs on the track?

Thanks!
Craig Hili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:59 AM   #11
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
For comparison I bought my 2016 new in March of 2016 and other than the slow start which I fixed with an additional engine to body ground cable - my ride has been trouble free. Granted I have only half the miles on mine compared to yours. Luck of the draw I guess in that yours has been trouble but mine not.

As to your question about - what next? I think a newer 1LE SS coupe might fit the bill. You can either get the M6 and row your own - or go A10. Either way you will have an excellent track car that works great on the street too. Good luck!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Craig, get a 2SS or 1SS hardtop in 1LE trim or maybe a ZL1 if money isn’t an issue. The 10 speed auto is a real good transmission and you can get one in the SS 1LE now. Another option would be a bare bones LT1 with the optional Recaro seats and either a 6 speed or A10 automatic. You could add aftermarket wheels/tires and suspension pieces for a Camaro you could track and drive on the street for a decent amount of money.

Last edited by LT4Greg; 04-30-2021 at 08:25 AM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
So y'all's experiences with these newer Camaros? Am I understanding correctly that getting into a new hardtop model might get rid of all these annoying issues and keep me grinning? Because there's a LOT to like about the car. The milage on the highway is astoundingly good, it rides nice and handles well (although I always run in track mode, so I won't bother with the mag ride again, I'll just set it up how I like it and leave it alone), it's respectably quick and it looks mean as hell.
The short answer is "Yes. But,"

Moving to a new / newer car is going to put back at or close to initial build. That means that "wear and tear" type issues won't be present.

Moving to a coupe immediately eliminates the two specific issues you called out that are ONLY present on convertibles.

Moving to a coupe puts you into a position of being able to track the car without adding safety gear like a roll cage.

Moving to a 2019+ model puts you into an A10 if you go with the automatic - LOTS of love for that transmission compared to the prior A8.

Moving to a new model gets you away from first year issues like the heat soak issue you had with the starter.

In short, you will absolutely remediate the issues you have with this car. Will you experience new ones down the road? It's really hard to say...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #14
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
Convertible plus first year model/platform.
+1...

I'd sell it for a slightly newer one.