Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
TPMS

is there any way to delete the TPMS system including irritating tire symbol on the dash that comes on and goes off for no apparent reason?i will be making my 2nd trip to the dealer in 3 weeks.all tire pressures are within spec.and the light comes on randomly and goes out when it feels like it,usually its the drivers side rear tire that gives__
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Just a fact you may want to consider the life of the battery in a tpms is limited and on my Camaro just like the tires that it comes with stock the tpms is wheel specific to the car as in Left rear must be Left Rear. Only problem I ever had is on changing wheels and then a rr got changed to lr and they had to be taken off and changed and I went with a non side specific tread on the new tires. Good Luck, the local tire store here could reset them with a hand held spendy snap on tool by just getting close to the tpms holding it by the tire. DO nto know what year your Camaro is or if you may be having a battery problem or the signal is not getting through...? Or you could have one bad sensor, etc.....
Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
redcoats1976

its a 2015 with less than 9,000 miles.light has gone on like 4x in less than a month,which is kinda irritating.the car is warranteed till 2018 bumper to bumper and they "synchronized" the system a couple of weeks ago but im thinking thats not the answer.how long are the batteries good for? so this means no tire rotatons(and front to rear they are staggered as well).car is an RS with all the goodies.i like all of them but the TPMS,is it problematic or am i just lucky?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Left to right tire rotations are still done if the tires will allow it.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Sounds like one of the TPMS may be going bad, i know on my 2010 there still going.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the new style sensors in your 15 should be good for 10 years. it looks like you got a bad sensor. The way to check is to flip the wheel over to the other side reset the system (you need a Tool) if it comes on again but its shows the the new tire location its a bad sensor. i bet its just a bad sensor and all hey have to do is replace it. No big deal. they make millions of these sensors some are bond to be bad. No it cant be turned off by federal law.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
They should replace your TPMS sensor under warranty.
I have had my TPMS save my bacon 4 times over the past few years when it told me I have a low tire long before it stranded me.
I would recommend you get the issue fixed and not defeat a valuable system
These low profile tires don't have very much air in them. They can go from full to empty in a frighteningly short time. Unless you have an extra $350 just sitting around that you want to throw down a hole on a new tire.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I agree with the others, if it keeps happening, there is probably a damaged TPMS on a tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
stock the tpms is wheel specific to the car as in Left rear must be Left Rear. Only problem I ever had is on changing wheels and then a rr got changed to lr and they had to be taken off and changed and I went with a non side specific tread on the new tires.
You just have to do the relearn process when you rotate the tires.

Switch to the view of the 4-tires on the dashboard, hold the OK/RESET button at the end of your turn signal and it will ask you if you want to relearn. Scroll up, hit yes, and then use this tool: https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Pressure...s=GM+TPMS+tool

You simply start at the driver's side front, hold the button near the valve stem and the car honks. Then go to the passenger side front, then passenger side rear, then driver's side rear. Wait for the honk each time, and after the last tire the car will honk twice.

Relearn and tire rotation done.

This tool is also backwards compatible with GM cars from 2006+

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
redcoats1976

went to work today.on the way home the light turned itself off and all tires show pressure.guess i will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.probably wait till it comes on again...its under warrantee so i dont think i will buy the tool yet.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
redcoats1976

update,car is at the dealer getting checked out.apparently they think its more than a sensor issue.gave me a yuuuge silverado to drive.hope my car is back soon.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
do you reset them... i did this 3 years ago and never had a issue ever again....
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
redcoats1976

its under warrantee.i drive it,gas it up,check the oil and wash it.vehicle was brought back to them a couple of weeks ago and they said they synchronised the TPMS sensors.im assuming they would try all the inexpensive stuff first,in fact i thought theyd probably replace the sensor in the left rear and send me on my way.possibly they are switching the rear tires side to side if the stock tires allow that to make sure it is a bad sensor?of course it only acts up when its not at the dealers...
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
redcoats1976

just got a call from the dealer.they said its either the module which they will be replacing when it arrives tomorrow,or if that doesnt fix it theres a TSB about rerouting the wiring harness away from the blower motor.i guess i will have to wedge the monster truck in my garage tonight.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
Ducatiman

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE

Different make and model... But.... Ignoring my TPMS for no more than 2-3 minutes led to this. Cruise was set to 73 mph when the left rear failed. Crawled out the back window unscathed, but knew I was going to die when it somersaulted off a 40 ft embankment and I saw that ground coming up. Highly recommend you do not disable it.
Ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote