Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
Bilicki66

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Tuning help

Hey All, so we did our 1st build and we are super close to tuning it but just can’t seem to get it absolutely perfect. We are using HP Tuners and what’s happening is we are getting some cracking/popping at acceleration 40% and above throttle at random times. One pull on the street will do it and the next it won’t. At long idle sitting at red light when I go to take off sometimes care will pop,crackle and then I will lose rev match. I wanted to know if anyone has this close of a similar build and would be willing to share tune or input?

Here are the following mods.....

Speed engineering long tube headers 1 7/8” and catless pipes
Corsa sport exhaust
Phastek flex fuel system
Abel Racing catch can
Precision Race Components CNC Ported 2014+ LT1 Cylinder Heads, GM Castings
Texas Speed & Performance Gen 5 LT1 special grind Camshaft for road course
Texas Speed & Performance 7.85" Pushrod, 3/8" Diameter with 5/16" Ball Ends, Per Pushrod
4 Degree Phaser Limiter
Texas Speed & Performance Gen 5 LT1, DOD Delete Kit
DOD Hole Plug
ARP SBC 6.2L LT1 Head Bolt Kit Without Corner Bolts
GM LS2 Lifter Tray
Comp Cams OE-Replacement Hydraulic Roller Lifters, SBC & LS1
GM MLS Head Gasket
LT1 VVT CAMSHAFT BOLT / VALVE
GM Wet Sump Balancer Pulley Bolt
Water Pump Gasket
GM Front CRANK Seal
MSD Atomic AirForce LT1 Intake Manifold, 103mm, Red Lettering
HolleyDays Match
Nick Williams 103mm LTx Throttle Body Machined Finish

McLeod 6406807M RXT Twin Disc Clutch Kit With Steel Flywheel

BC Forged TD01
Thank you
👍👊🇺🇸🤘🏎🏁
Bilicki66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
What is timing doing? Can you post a log? I just put a Stage 1/2 cam in my car and I am seeing a considerable timing pull, especially at WOT, but its not showing up on the timing indicators (torque mng. advance, IAT advance, etc.)
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #3
DannyC

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
No expert here but is it popping through the intake or exhaust.. If it's popping through the intake the timing is too high. Exhaust too low. Check the Knock Retard. If you have a bunch it too much advance timing.

Just trying to help but like I said no expert. But I am learning
Flow Tech axle back, Roto-Fab, Nick Williams 103, AEM Wide Band, Defrost vent pod, billet catch can, BBK long tube headers and NGK LTR6GP, #90198, one step colder, Magnuson 2650, Snow Performance water/methanol injection. (Also tune myself w/HPTuners)
DannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It could be lean if it is popping through the intake.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Bilicki66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
What is timing doing? Can you post a log? I just put a Stage 1/2 cam in my car and I am seeing a considerable timing pull, especially at WOT, but its not showing up on the timing indicators (torque mng. advance, IAT advance, etc.)
I don’t have the computer my buddy does, we think it’s too much negative timing creating the popping out of the exhaust. We are gonna tune again on Saturday and hopefully we can figure it out
Old 02-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Bilicki66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
No expert here but is it popping through the intake or exhaust.. If it's popping through the intake the timing is too high. Exhaust too low. Check the Knock Retard. If you have a bunch it too much advance timing.

Just trying to help but like I said no expert. But I am learning
Thanks man, yeah we think it’s too much negative timing, I was just hoping someone with like build could come on here and share tune so we have something to go off of. I know no two cars are the same.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
Bilicki66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It could be lean if it is popping through the intake.
Definitely not lean, coming out of exhaust. I was actually too rich before last tune. We are getting close but this is killing me! Lol
Thanks
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
You sure it's not misfiring?

You mid try getting rid of all the negative spark in the base/minimum tables and see if that helps.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #9
cmitchell17

Here is the tune i've got so far for my TSP Stage 1/2 (228/236-114 LSA 111 ICL .635/.635) and PRC ported heads with ported intake, TB, and Rotofab.

I guess its safe to posts tunes, some people don't like to, I know its got my VIN# and everything but I guess that's not really an issue. I would way rather let you have it and help you out then another one of these "tuners" take advantage of someone since it happened to me haha.

I'm not sure how big your cam is but I think you could probably copy the same parameters I have adjusted to your tune and run it, our builds look similar minus the headers but I don't think that will change a lot. Let me know how it runs. I know tuning mine I was surprised how much of a difference just slight changes in AFR make, I definitely made the mistake of underestimating a correct AFR. I accomplished my tuning through the VVE only and I didn't touch the MAF calibration. A lot of "tuners" will tell you that you are stupid and you shouldn't be messing with VVE and you should work around everything by tuning the MAF only. In my opinion if you still have a stock intake and haven't altered the airflow around the MAF you can use the stock calibration unless you get into very higher airflow where the stock calibration loses resolution and isn't defined very well.

Fifty Tune Modified ECM_TCM_FICM.zip
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Can't see any ECM info. Tried ver 4.4.4 and the beta. No go. I did see TCM info.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Can't see any ECM info. Tried ver 4.4.4 and the beta. No go. I did see TCM info.
Are you in the "Advanced" view?
Name:  good.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  146.2 KB

Also by the way, i'm not the OP, I just posted my tune file so the OP could look at it and see what I changed. Unless you just wanted to look at my tune? thats fine, its good to share tunes around here so people can learn if they are willing to put in the time and effort.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #12
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I know. I like to look at tune files, check out the differences.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
Bilicki66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Here is the tune i've got so far for my TSP Stage 1/2 (228/236-114 LSA 111 ICL .635/.635) and PRC ported heads with ported intake, TB, and Rotofab.

I guess its safe to posts tunes, some people don't like to, I know its got my VIN# and everything but I guess that's not really an issue. I would way rather let you have it and help you out then another one of these "tuners" take advantage of someone since it happened to me haha.

I'm not sure how big your cam is but I think you could probably copy the same parameters I have adjusted to your tune and run it, our builds look similar minus the headers but I don't think that will change a lot. Let me know how it runs. I know tuning mine I was surprised how much of a difference just slight changes in AFR make, I definitely made the mistake of underestimating a correct AFR. I accomplished my tuning through the VVE only and I didn't touch the MAF calibration. A lot of "tuners" will tell you that you are stupid and you shouldn't be messing with VVE and you should work around everything by tuning the MAF only. In my opinion if you still have a stock intake and haven't altered the airflow around the MAF you can use the stock calibration unless you get into very higher airflow where the stock calibration loses resolution and isn't defined very well.

Attachment 1020416
Thanks man, well we ended up taking some fuel out of idle, changed some of my parameters on the thermostat and erased all codes that caused engine light to come on. Guess what? Car runs like a champ! For all of you that chimed in thank you! Heading to Eagle Canyons Raceway on 2/29🏁🏎
Old 02-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
cmitchell17

I would watch out, just when you think you have everything working, a random limiter or timing pull will come from nowhere and ruin your day when you need your car the most.

How did you add fuel to the idle? I guess you are running open loop?