Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
acniv

Drives: Chev Camaro
Car Has Reflux

So, I’ve noticed that every time I go to fill up the 16 SS, the freaking gas spews out the gas tank. What bothers me is that most stations these days have no paper towels or clean water. The gas gets on the paint and that will eventually look terrible.

Anyone else seeing this problem with filling up the tank on these cars or know how to prevent it? Doesn’t seem to matter how slow I put the fuel in, it spits some out, just enough to get the paint. UGH.

Thanks!
acniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Usually, this only occurs when there is a problem with the vent line. You might want to have that checked.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Agree with SteveV. This is not normal.
I am cursed with living in the last state to forbid me to pump my own gas, so I get to deal with a wide range of "characters" who pump for me. Most are quite courteous and competent, but there are plenty who would have flooded the side of my car with gas if it were at all possible.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Agree with SteveV. This is not normal.
I am cursed with living in the last state to forbid me to pump my own gas, so I get to deal with a wide range of "characters" who pump for me. Most are quite courteous and competent, but there are plenty who would have flooded the side of my car with gas if it were at all possible.
I forgot NJ was living in the 50's lol
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acniv View Post
So, I’ve noticed that every time I go to fill up the 16 SS, the freaking gas spews out the gas tank. What bothers me is that most stations these days have no paper towels or clean water. The gas gets on the paint and that will eventually look terrible.

Anyone else seeing this problem with filling up the tank on these cars or know how to prevent it? Doesn’t seem to matter how slow I put the fuel in, it spits some out, just enough to get the paint. UGH.

Thanks!
I had this issue with my 17ss a lot. Walmart has a box of microfiber rags, cheap ones, for 10 bucks. I think it's a box of 40.

after it did this to me, I keep at least one of those in all my cars at all times.

I'm not sure what causes the spew, but some pumps were worse than others, and I learned to avoid them. Also, I would hold the handle up (so the nozzle goes down at more of an angle), and that seemed to help at least.

knock on wood, I've not had the issue at all with my 18 zl1, so if it were an issue, maybe they started fixing it, or I've successfully avoided the bad pumps by now.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #6
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:

Thanks!
Not normal, make an appt at the dealer.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:

Thanks!
Had this happen pretty much on all my 6th gens that I've had.

When it the fill stops automatically. Stop. There's not much room left once it stops to stuff in anymore fuel, so don't try to add extra to "top it off".

I've had 2 things work for me. I read on some early posts here, that when the fill stops to then rotate the nozzle handle upwards before pulling out the nozzle. The 2nd way is when it stops filling, to then leave the nozzle in for like 20-30 seconds (or longer) before pulling out the nozzle. This last one I had work for me and it was by accident. Happened on a trip to Florida where I was filling up and ran in to get some snacks, and when I returned to the car I forgot and pulled out the nozzle and no extra gas came out. So I've been doing the last one ever since and no spillage.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
When it the fill stops automatically. Stop. There's not much room left once it stops to stuff in anymore fuel, so don't try to add extra to "top it.
This is my experience as well, once the pump stops the tank is pretty much full, never had any spillage, something is likely wrong if you are getting fuel spill over unless you are trying to top off..

Last edited by Jsreo; 01-17-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #9
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I had this issue with my 17ss a lot. Walmart has a box of microfiber rags, cheap ones, for 10 bucks. I think it's a box of 40.

after it did this to me, I keep at least one of those in all my cars at all times.

I'm not sure what causes the spew, but some pumps were worse than others, and I learned to avoid them. Also, I would hold the handle up (so the nozzle goes down at more of an angle), and that seemed to help at least.

knock on wood, I've not had the issue at all with my 18 zl1, so if it were an issue, maybe they started fixing it, or I've successfully avoided the bad pumps by now.
I assume you mean your tossing each rag in the trash after one use?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I've been told by my dealer to not overfill the car for that exact reason. I also always use a shop towel as explained above. Never had a single drop of gas on the paint after 14k miles
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
I forgot NJ was living in the 50's lol
I don’t mind one bit. Keeps me from having to touch that dirty a$$ smelly handle everyone and their momma touched.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #12
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Someone put acid in your tank?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
retmil

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry SS
Try turning the nozzle in a different direction in the filler neck. Some Corvettes have had the issue in the past and this suggetion seems to help.
retmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
There is a second door inside the fill tube as shown in the picture from a Cadillac. If you pull the gas nozzle out slightly then the second door can close and any additional gas will splash out. The fuel funnel they give you with the Camaro is long enough to open both doors. If you try to fill the gas tank from a gas can without the funnel it will likely run down the side of the car because most gas can filler spouts aren’t the right length or shape to open both doors.
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote