Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #6161
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlitherByU View Post
By luck it is. We'll see what happens in the next couple years. I'm certainly intrigued by the flat plane crank C8 Z06 that is coming.
I’m not going to lie, I’m so smitten on the looks of the C8.R i will take a good hard look at the Z06 if I’m ready for something different by then, and it looks even remotely like that car lol
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #6162
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I dont call an owner's manual recommended track alignment a mod. To me it's the same as lower tire pressure on the dragstrip. I dont call that a "mod" either. If a track alignment is a mod then what is the roll cage the 500s had? Lol. Makes no sense the 500 would arrive with a roll cage but no track alignment.

Sounds to me like the M6G crew might be seeing the VIR "victory" over the C8 as the hollow and disappointing show for the 500 that it actually was. Yeah I can drive down to the local high school and dominate the JV football team in a multitude of workouts proving how much stronger and faster I am.... is it impressive if I show up at a jacked 260 and a 180 pound high school kid benches 25 pounds less than me? No.
They NEED a win. And they will take any win they can get. So far the GT500 has been pitted up only against cars where they have the advantage or several advantages. And even in those situations they still manage to lose at several different categories. It seems they lose in more categories than they win. But these guys need anything they can get. So let them have it. We know they do not want to see the Base up against the ZL1 or Z06. They don't want to see the CF against the ZLE or Z06. And when the higher trim C8s arrive they won't be put up against them either. The ONLY challenge we will see the GT500 take is what we already saw...against the Base and Z51 C8. Everything else will slaughter it. As it is the C8 destroyed it in the quarter mile and that is the bottom level lowest one you can get and only costs $60K. It is $14K cheaper and whupped that ass.

Track alignment is similar to lowering tire pressure etc. Also it is similar to racing on a prepped track and claiming the car is whatever it does on that track. Well a C8 won't run as good as it did with that alignment because that is not how you drive it in DD condition. Well the GT won't always be on a prepped track with a pro driver or with someone getting advice from 25 people and in perfect weather and with people spraying the tires down and throwing ice on the blower either. But again, they need this win. Badly. So let them have it. I doubt anyone but them cares.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #6163
jvandy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Keeping an eye on the GT350 forum, I’ve seen the same threads pop up about the 19s and a 20 though not as numerous. Oil consumption threads keep popping up pissing off the loyalists there. Not to mention many other quality/reliability issues. They still can’t put the splitter on correctly at the dealers 5 years in from what I’ve read.
Yeah I’ve also been keeping an eye on it, but think I’ve about had enough. You’ve probably seen the same, but there was a time when it seemed 2-3 a week were replaced...crazy shit. And then to defend it to new people asking about issues was just wrong imo, and kinda why i stayed. You can like a car while still being honest about it. I feel like they MIGHT be going bad at a more normal rate now, but for that 17 to early 18 time period...wow, would not buy another lol
Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #6164
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Keeping an eye on the GT350 forum, I’ve seen the same threads pop up about the 19s and a 20 though not as numerous. Oil consumption threads keep popping up pissing off the loyalists there. Not to mention many other quality/reliability issues. They still can’t put the splitter on correctly at the dealers 5 years in from what I’ve read.
It doesn't do anyone any favors to pretend there aren't issues with the Voodoo. Especially someone who spent money buying one. When I bought my X5 I researched everything I could about it. Same as I did with my Hellcat. I found multiple threads relating to engine and electrical issues with the X5. Now if all those people tried to pretend that these issues did not exist, then I would not have known what I was getting into. However I did know and I bought an extended warranty and made sure I fully inspected the one I bought before signing for it. And I make sure I maintain it properly. I have not had any problems with it but I'd be a fool to pretend that these SUVs are not problematic.

Same with my Hellcat and the blower bearing issues. It is a wide known issue. I'm not gonna try to pretend it isn't. Knowing that tho, that is one of the reasons I decided not to buy it out at the end of the lease.

The Voodoo is a very problematic engine. I would not buy one of those cars even with a $20K discount. Well, at least not past the warranty. If someone loves their car then good for them. But trying to be deceptive about the issues plaguing that car when it is very wide spread is silly as Hell.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #6165
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

The good thing is that we have 2 people on this thread and others through out this forum who all came from GT350s and have had problems. But only one of them doesn't deal in "ifs"...
Old 01-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #6166
jvandy50

Quote:
Quick question for everyone here and would appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I got creamed for two things on M6G. One, daring to suggest a track alignment is not a mod. As the Ford faithful are still clinging to the GT500 was in customer deliverable street alignment and of course it was an unfair advantage for the C8 to be in its track alignment. Most of them say it is a mod.

Second, I said it was no different then hitting the drive modes, especially the drag mode that softens the dampening for the rear on the GT500. I stated one was a manual adjustment and the other was electronic. I was told by one especially colorful member that “I was too stupid to live this long without help.”

I don’t consider adjusting the car the way the factory recommends or allows you to, especially on a car like a ZLE a mod. But, apparently I’m the crazy one.

Anyway thoughts?
Yeah i don’t view something that’s in the manual a mod. I don’t think some of the more verbal ones have any experience with anything other than mustang(i used to be this way is how i know lol). I brought up i didn’t think it was a mod on the ZLE and one of them said “did you pay for it? Then its a mod”. Well i also pay someone to mount my tires because that’s not fun to me. But we do actually measure toe on my jeep, mount beadlocks, align joints and control arms...just not camber. That guy willing to tell me if i do it all in our garage then its stock??? Lol

But i digress, i also think the demon crate is stock/OEM
Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #6167
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Both the C8 and GT500 have a recommendation, and alignment specs, for the track. Ford provide a car with a roll cage for the road course comparison. (page 47 in the 500’s supplement) Why would anyone assume that GT500 wasn’t aligned for the track by Ford?

The only reason it was mentioned for the C8 is because MT lifted the whole C8 portion from the C8 align /no-alignment article that compared the two alignments on the track.

What should be called into question is that the cars were not tested the same day. “We” know, and accept, that the GT500 CFTP could have run 2 seconds slower just days later. After all, the ZL1 M6 did when matched with the GT350R.

Even more so. They ran the Full VIR that has both 3/4 mile and 1/2 mile long straights. They turned it into a roll race contest! The car with a 265 HP advantage won. have other cars been matched on Full VIR or was this selected for the GT500?

Then, the C8 beat the GT500 where the M6g crew felt the +265 HP power advantage would reign supreme. The 1/4 mile. ...but the C8 beat the GT500 by 0.4 sec!

Anyway. Motor Trend has butchered every gen6 comparison so far. They are zero’s.
The people who assume the gt500 with a cage wasn't properly set up for the track are probably idiots.

The same type of people who complain about the unfair alignment but ignore the totally standard equipment streetable configuration cage.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #6168
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
I’m not going to lie, I’m so smitten on the looks of the C8.R i will take a good hard look at the Z06 if I’m ready for something different by then, and it looks even remotely like that car lol
Me too, c8r looks so much better than the c8 imo. Hopefully the c8 z06s body is something like the racecar.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #6169
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Yeah I’ve also been keeping an eye on it, but think I’ve about had enough. You’ve probably seen the same, but there was a time when it seemed 2-3 a week were replaced...crazy shit. And then to defend it to new people asking about issues was just wrong imo, and kinda why i stayed. You can like a car while still being honest about it. I feel like they MIGHT be going bad at a more normal rate now, but for that 17 to early 18 time period...wow, would not buy another lol
They're fine and you're all liars because a couple of dudes that baby their cars are telling us their cars are fine. Totally made up and exaggerated, ignore the tons of documented cars with engine issues.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #6170
jvandy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Me too, c8r looks so much better than the c8 imo. Hopefully the c8 z06s body is something like the racecar.
we can dream, right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
They're fine and you're all liars because a couple of dudes that baby their cars are telling us their cars are fine. Totally made up and exaggerated, ignore the tons of documented cars with engine issues.
lol yep, i get they liked the car, but you REALLY had to have blinders on to not notice all the longtime forum members and all the other different people posting about it. they like to say its the same small group of people complaining, and i get that’s sorta a phenomenon in itself...but this wasn’t that lol. hell, one guy that wrote an article defending the car and the “hysteria” around it is on his 3rd voodoo...if that’s not irony idk what is!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #6171
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
we can dream, right?!

lol yep, i get they liked the car, but you REALLY had to have blinders on to not notice all the longtime forum members and all the other different people posting about it. they like to say its the same small group of people complaining, and i get that’s sorta a phenomenon in itself...but this wasn’t that lol. hell, one guy that wrote an article defending the car and the “hysteria” around it is on his 3rd voodoo...if that’s not irony idk what is!
It's been a rough few years for them. They started this Gen out with a GT that was slower than the previous Gen despite being a new platform and having more power. They were stuck that way for 3 years and needed a major renovation. Before the renovation they only had a GT350 which was expensive, had markups, offered underwhelming performance, and was riddled with engine problems. Then the GT500 finally shows up after
all this time and still needs to be given every advantage against cheaper and less powerful cars and still loses more than it wins. And now even those are starting to show engine issues. And most of them can't afford it anyway. So they're a bit broken at this point. It's really a difficult time to be a Ford guy.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #6172
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Thanks for all of the responses, appreciate it and obviously pretty much agree with everyone.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #6173
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Seems like FOMOCO has always been afraid to face their Shelbys VS the 6th gen Camaros. We have never seen any Comparison of the Shelby GT350 or GT350R VS the Camaro SS1LE. Ford had to upgrade lately their base GT350 to cup tires, probably to be able to compete with the better balanced Camaro's Alpha platform riding on summer street tires.
Probably we would expect the same from the capable new Shelby GT500. FOMOCO would not allow their base Shelby GT500 to be compared to the ZL1, nor their Shelby's GT500 CFTP to be compared to the Camaro ZL1 SS1LE
I would love to see that H2H but I doubt that it would happen.

The biggest PLUS of the ZL1 is that you can have it with a shifter and neither the C8 Corvette nor the Shelby GT500 has that available option.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #6174
SlitherByU

Drives: 2018 GT350R
Quote:
My third Voodoo didn’t start until 9k. Same as jvandy, I really hope you don’t have issues either.
First of all the two quotes you took from me were entirely from two different conversational contexts.

The IF statement was about how I'd feel if the GT PP2 car came with R CF stuff in 2023. LMAO.

Second is about @jvandy50 personal experience with oil usage. He had a 17. It was a shit year for the Voodoo motor if you ask me. I'd never touch a 17. But who knew at the time...things would turn out for that year like they did.

I'm not naïve. I researched the GT350 before I bought my R for less than $70k btw. I think off the top of my head it was $68k and some change. A little under MSRP. Not much but a little. I fully except what might happen and I'll cross that bridge if that time ever comes. The prudent thing is to get an extended warranty. I actually have a practice of doing that on all my vehicles. I have one on my Z51 as well. It has already paid for itself when the convertible top hydraulic line sprang a leak. I've had the windshield replaced from stress cracks in it too. That's well known C7 issue. Whatever comes up with the voodoo I'll deal.

Last edited by SlitherByU; 01-12-2020 at 09:51 AM.
SlitherByU is offline   Reply With Quote